Forums Latest Members

What will happen to the SKX013?

1. Decrin Aug 8, 2019

So as most of you will know, the Seiko SKX007, SKX009 and the SKX013 have been discontinued in favour of the new Seiko 5 Sports models with the reference number SRPD.

As these new models don't have a 38mm variant (an SKX013 replacement), what will happen to the SKX013 market?
    Will they shoot up in price and become collectable, or are there more than enough around to satisfy the market for the next few years?

I would love to here your thoughts below, as I'm considering buying one and just leaving it new in the box for some years as an investment, and to see how the market develops.

thelinendial likes this.
  2. Davidt Aug 8, 2019

Has the SKX007/9 been discontinued? People have been saying this for two years yet it was clearly still being produced last year.

3. Decrin Aug 8, 2019

The Bark and Jack article stated so, which I trust. Also, as these watches are pretty much an updated replacement of the SKX's, it seems more trustworthy than ever before that the SKX has finally been discontinued.

f3dbca likes this.
  4. 89-0 Aug 8, 2019

5. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Aug 8, 2019

They are the only one reporting that they are discontinued... although the rumors have been floating for a few years. Although the 7s26 in the SKX and a few other 5’s may no longer be in production if all of the current 5’s are out of production.

Oddly these cannot be considered divers due to lack of lume on the bezel( although the ansi standard on that is open if that is required.) Additionally these only have 100m wr and do not have a screw down crown.

I am not sure that Seiko would scrap the non Prospex diver option. On the other hand that makes some sense.

6. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Aug 8, 2019

Might be worth some money in the future

Worn once, full set box and papers

Sieko 7s36 02h0

Bought in 2010 for a safe watch for a work trip to Panama -Colon region ( forgot to take it and it sat in a cuboard for 6 years as I had totally forgot I had it by the time I got back 5 weeks later )

image.jpeg image.jpeg

gostang9 and Walrus like this.
  7. 89-0 Aug 8, 2019

Minty!

STANDY likes this.
  8. JwRosenthal Aug 8, 2019

The Japanese have a history of misreading the market sometimes. In 2010 Panasonic discontinued the Technics SL 12xx series turntables after roughly 40 years of production and healthy sales- and at the height of the vinyl resurgence. They re-Introduced it last year but the market has moved on in their absence and the vinyl craze has cooled.
    I think the pendulum on massive watches is swinging back to normal (36-40), and they will realize their mistake in about 5 years and bring back a “retro” model which closely resembles what they are currently phasing out.
    And someone will have brought shame to their family for such a poor decision.

And one word speaks to this history-Beta.

9. KingCrouchy Aug 9, 2019

I honestly don't see them shoot up in value, the market is full with them and a lot where produced. But this normally doesn't stop some sellers on eBay to start asking ridiculous prices.::facepalm1::

10. ConElPueblo Aug 9, 2019

A 013 was the first mechanical watch I bought after researching the market, etc. and bought it due to the smaller size. I sold it here a couple of years ago after realising that it wasn't for me. The proportions are just wrong somehow. Too stocky when looking at height/diameter and with an oddly proportioned bezel in relation to the dial. Loads of better options in that size range, IMO.

11. Decrin Aug 9, 2019

Could you suggest some alternatives for the ones who think the regular SKX is too large for them?

12. JwRosenthal Aug 9, 2019

Was just about to ask the same. Love the sizes between 37-40 and so few in that range the last decade or so. The Rado Cap’n Cook reissue is the only one that comes to mind but that’s $$$

thelinendial likes this.
  13. KingCrouchy Aug 9, 2019

A friend of mine sold his for the same reason, it just looked so thick while feeling small and unrefined at the same time.

I would look into Zodiac, I really liked how it wore.
    https://www.zodiacwatches.com/products/super-sea-wolf-53-compression-zo9250

Or Vostoks, they are quirky and great.
    My Komandirskie is really comfy and wears great at 39mm.

Another option would be a Orient Ray II it's 41.5 but wears smaller.

IMG_20190803_161103.jpg
  14. JwRosenthal Aug 9, 2019

Doing a quick google search for smaller dive watches, it appears they do exist, but as either “unisex” or woman’s models. I’m not turned off by a watch being labeled as a woman’s model, just find it intersting as they used to be called midsized in the 34-37mm range.

15. ConElPueblo Aug 9, 2019

Oris Diver 65? 36mm & 40mm. Had one in 40mm, loved it.

Instead of looking at "smaller than SKX007", you should look at "smaller lug-to-lug than SKX007". I'd say that regular Seiko Turtles will feel smaller on the wrist.

thelinendial and KingCrouchy like this.
  16. ConElPueblo Aug 9, 2019

Best SKX013 review I've read so far :D

KingCrouchy likes this.
  17. JwRosenthal Aug 9, 2019

The oris 65 36mm is on my list, but they rarely come up in the used market. Would love one on a factory bracelet- event harder to find

thelinendial likes this.
  18. JwRosenthal Aug 9, 2019

I keep debating the Certina PH200 reissue. It at 42mm I’m a bit leery of the size. Have you tried that watch @ConElPueblo ?

..and I know you have a real one, just curious about the reissue compered to the original

19. Decrin Aug 9, 2019

Do Vostoks feel more refined than the SKX013?

20. Decrin Aug 9, 2019

Another question: would you go for a Vostok Amphibia or a Loreo Diver? They're the same price, and both have decent reviews. My feeling is that the Loreo is the better built watch but loses points for being an homage. Vostok is more unique I think, but with less quality.