Forums Latest Members
  1. DAVEDOS97 Sep 13, 2020

Hi

Can anyone tell me more about this watch?

Model / year ect

And a value?

Thank you

IMG_20200912_220201.jpg IMG_20200912_220148.jpg IMG_20200912_220142.jpg
  2. padders Oooo subtitles! Sep 13, 2020

I've seen that before somewhere, ebay or TZ-UK maybe. It'll probably be a 26X movement solid 9K gold cased piece from circa 1950-1960 at a guess. It is possibly a UK made Dennison 13322 case. Sankey were Wolverhampton based, Dennison were up the road in Birmingham. Value is mid hundreds of GBP. The pictures aren't good enough to tell but either the dial is very clean for its age or it has been refinished. The way the 7 impacts on the sub dial is a concern on that score but as I say the pictures aren't good enough to be definitive. The case looks tidy. There are 13322s in 18K gold too, but they are much less commonly seen than the 9K versions.

If you are not already aware, on an Omega all the info you need is on the inside of the caseback. That is a snap on back and can be removed (carefully) with a case knife or similar. I say carefully as if you are clumsy there is a real risk of serious damage to either you or the case, or both. If you are concerned, get it professionally removed.

Edited Sep 13, 2020
    Dan S, airansun, DaveK and 4 others like this.
  3. Canuck Sep 13, 2020

Being extensively engraved as it is doesn’t generally add value to a watch such as this. It seems C Bridgewater’s family didn’t want it, and if anybody might prize it highly, I would think the family would. Some ordinary watches in gold cases sell for the scrap value in the case. Add a bit because it is an Omega.

watchyouwant and NGO1 like this.
  4. DAVEDOS97 Sep 13, 2020

its my great grand-dads watch that my nan has gave me to sell, pretty sure its the original face as its been sat in her draw for atleast 30 years plus

5. DAVEDOS97 Sep 13, 2020

taking it to be valued next week, was hoping to get a rough idea on here, im hoping about 1k from other similar stuff ive seen

6. cristos71 Sep 13, 2020

€1K is extremely optimistic for such a watch. Even if it is 18K I'd still only put it at €500-600 max, less if 9K. You may see them at a dealer with those kinds of asking prices but as a private seller you'll need to be more realistic.

Mark020, watchyouwant and padders like this.
  7. DAVEDOS97 Sep 13, 2020

8. padders Oooo subtitles! Sep 13, 2020

Taking it to be valued where? For insurance or selling purposes? Not sure what good an over inflated valuation will do. See above. I've sold 2 9K 13322s in the past few years at prices between £450-550. As already noted above the engraving makes it less desirable than one with a plain back to anyone other than a relative. I note your post above. ebay sellers can ask what they like, what things sell for is rather more relevant. Oh and if its sat in a draw for that long it needs a service. A sensible buyer will factor that in too.

watchyouwant likes this.
  9. DAVEDOS97 Sep 13, 2020

selling purposes. was kinda hoping for it to be worth £1k but if only £400 £500 then ill probably keep it

10. cristos71 Sep 13, 2020

11. DAVEDOS97 Sep 13, 2020

would the engraving hurt the value?? i thought it may help as it shows history of the watch?

12. masteroftime Sep 13, 2020

OP, eBay listings are a really bad way to gauge the selling price/value of a watch. The best way is to look at completed auctions or sold listings. Some sellers shoot high and ask a lot hoping that somebody will make them an offer to meet them in the middle or that that person won't be experienced and buy it outright. Its somewhat annoying, but they're asking jewelry store retail pricing in an format with significantly less guarantees and service.

I definitely think that the range given to you by others is correct and if you take it to a jewelry store and sell it, you should expect something close to half of retail. Some shady (or less experienced) jewelers may also claim that the only value is in the gold and they they'd buy it to melt it.

Engravings usually hurt the value unless the watch belonged to somebody famous. I'm not particularly aware of your grandfather, but its safe to assume that less people will be interested in it because of the engraving. That being said, I have sold some watches at the price of a similar example without engravings and I've noticed that some people don't care and may appreciate the "history."

To really get the most money, you'd have to list it yourself either on a forum or on eBay. Just realize that comes with its own set of problems. If you ask me, I would consider keeping it in the family and wearing/enjoying it.

watchyouwant and Winston_Smith like this.
  13. bgrisso Sep 13, 2020

Engraving probably reduces value a bit. I recommend post some good, in focus, close up shots of the dial so people here can tell you if the dial is original or redone, as that’s the first biggest impact on value. You can also post case back pics to determine case type, which is the second biggest factor on value. After you have that info you can be better informed to make a decision. The only useful help you can get right now, aside from the forum, is to remove the case back, if you don’t have the proper tools or feel comfortable.

masteroftime likes this.
  14. Sherbie Sep 13, 2020

Here is my newbie mistake. £400 from an antique centre many years ago. Its exactly as @padders described above - 9K Dennison cased, ref 13322, cal 30T2PC movement, Birmingham hallmarked for 1947, Omega serial number for 1944

i failed to notice the heavily polished lugs, and potential redial - Doh!!!

its also 33mm which also limits potential buyers

not sure what diameter yours is?
    5FB16C99-5D72-4F1B-B42B-0A82CF43124F.png

masteroftime likes this.
  15. Dan S Sep 13, 2020

In addition to gold content, the value will also depend quite a bit on size and the condition of the dial, all of which are unknown to us at present. But assuming the case is solid 9K gold, I tend to think that 600 GBP would probably be the high end of what you could expect to get for it. Of course, if you sell it on eBay, then after fees and shipping, you are closer to 500 GBP net.

masteroftime likes this.
  16. DAVEDOS97 Sep 13, 2020

Thanks for your help guys.

masteroftime likes this.
  17. DAVEDOS97 Sep 13, 2020

i dont think its been redone, like i say its sat in me nans draw for nearly 30 years untouched

18. Dan S Sep 13, 2020

It may well be original, and I'm not seeing any obvious red flags from the blurry photo. But the fact that it has been in a drawer for 30 years is really not relevant, since the watch is roughly 60 years old. Watch dials were routinely refinished in the mid 20th century. If you're interested to know more, you can just post good clear photos showing the dial straight on in high resolution.

19. SkunkPrince Sep 13, 2020

It's frequent that the people who get the stuff just want the money but the younger generation want the memento.

20. DAVEDOS97 Sep 14, 2020

My nan just gave it me from the draw and told me to sell it