Forums Latest Members

What was your gateway watch?

1. Steve9pm Strangely obsessed with cheap manual wind watches. Feb 29, 2016

mine was this
    [​IMG]

Larry S, ELV web, LouS and 4 others like this.
  2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 29, 2016

The TAG Heuer F1 was my first good watch at 12 or 13, bought the Seamaster at about... 18 or so to replace the TH when I was quoted ~$2,000 to service it by the AD.

[​IMG]

ricardorio, Jones in LA and Mad Dog like this.
  3. ulackfocus Feb 29, 2016

Had a few quartz watches from the usual suspects in my 20's and early 30's (Movado, Wittnauer, etc.) but got interested in mechanicals when I inherited my grandfather's rose gold Bulova from the 40's. As you can see from the picture, I have the lady's version as well.

IMG_4963-1.jpg

4. abrod520 Feb 29, 2016

Started with this, like so many others' experiences:
    [​IMG]

1st good job, bought this cause I was dumb (was same price new as a vintage 1133B at the time):
    [​IMG]

Finally managed to acquire a sense of good taste and picked this up a year afterwards (photo mine this time :cool:):

image.jpeg

After that it was just off to the races.

5. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 29, 2016

6. WatchVaultNYC Feb 29, 2016

My first mechanical watch was a Victorinox Officer's Mechanical, this model. Even now I still find it beautiful.

It punches way above it's weight class especially if you get the tremendous discount during their annual factory sale in CT. Crazy impressive for $300 - ETA movement, sapphire crystal, applied indices, textured dial, blued second hand, display back, and a design that looks good without being shamelessly derivative.

I would still recommend it for someone on a budget looking for a nice, new Swiss mechanical

[​IMG]

My first nice watch was a 2531.80
    [​IMG]

Larry S, tjhancock and Jones in LA like this.
  7. smitty190373 Feb 29, 2016

Loving the Heuer

8. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Feb 29, 2016

Republic pocket watch when I was 7. I don't have a picture, but googled "Republic pocket watch" and miraculously, the first picture is of the same watch. Paid $50 after beating the dealer down from $60. I ended up buying a lot pieces over the years from the dealer, and we became friends. When he and his wife would come to local antique shows, my parents would have them over to dinner, and when we were in his hometown, we would get together.

I still have my first Rolex that I bought from Coach Brown, receipt and all. It was a really cool to have a dealer take an interest in a little kid who was curious about watches.

2511350_1_l.jpg
  9. abrod520 Feb 29, 2016

Thanks! :D Me too ;)

10. Canuck Feb 29, 2016

My Rolex Prince Observatory Duo-Dial "doctor's watch" from 1930. An early wrist chronometer, as they looked before centre sweep seconds hands became de rigeur on wrist watches. Movement by Aegler, also used in Gruen watches of the era. I'm the second owner, my late father being the one who bought it new, in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan. Unfortunately, a gold filled, Canadian made case. The Rolex logo and other ID barely readable on the dial, but I am reluctant to have it re-done. My late father was a watchmaker, and in his business, he used to lend this out, a lot! I am lucky it survived in the condition it is in!

image.jpeg image.jpeg

gostang9, tjhancock, GregH and 3 others like this.
  11. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Feb 29, 2016

Too me it is not a watch I own, but the first watch that ever spoke to me. Ironically a Rolex led me to my first Omega.
    rolex.jpg

The first time I saw a 1655 Orange hand Explorer II I was in love. The GMT, the proportions, the huge orange hand, the history of the watch, not a huge seller in its day, the Steve McQueen tie in which turns out not to exist, I can keep going I still love this watch. Unfortunately, the price of this watch was way out of my range, and when Rolex announced a re-edition of it a few years ago I swore I would get one. When I tried on the new tribute, it just fell flat, the changed proportions of the watch ruined it for me, but the next case over had Omega's, and the PO Chrono with the Orange dial whispered my name. The PO Chrono 9300's had just been announced and I waited to see if I like that one better then the 3313 version. I ended up with the 3313 as the thinner movement and lack of sapphire back let the watch sit much more nicely on my wrist, and I preferred the 3 subdial layout over the 2 subdial layout.

So while my first automatic Omega could be considered my gateway watch, I consider the 1655 mine.

gostang9, ELV web and Jones in LA like this.
  12. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Feb 29, 2016

Speedmaster Mark II for me...

IMG_20150908_183222.jpg

then I started looking for a transitional but couldn't find a nice one, so I got a 105.002 and it's been all downhill from there.
    IMG_20150329_085729_edit.jpg

JFingers, Andreas, gostang9 and 7 others like this.
  13. Adri Wonders why he can't edit this message Feb 29, 2016

Got this Speedmaster Automatic from my father.
    Born in the same year as I but acquired a year later in 1989.

1.JPG

2.JPG

gostang9, Cosd, tjhancock and 3 others like this.
  14. Pvt-Public Feb 29, 2016

This very simple, understated Seamaster my father left.
    P1241813.JPG

gostang9, tjhancock, D YOUNG and 6 others like this.
  15. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Feb 29, 2016

Told many times before, gifted a new watch for my sixteenth birthday.
    Two score and ten years have passed and growing old disgracefully :)

IMG_8867.jpg

micampe, gostang9, rbob99 and 13 others like this.
  16. Malik713 Feb 29, 2016

Bertolucci Uomo

[​IMG]

I saw an ad for it in Robb Report and fell in love with the bracelet. I was only making $20k/yr at the time so to spend $3k on a watch was out of the question.

After almost five years later I found a used one for $1000 and picked it up.

Eventually traded it for a Bell & Ross, to a Breitling, to a few Panerais, to IWC, to Omega.

17. al128 unsolicited co-moderation giverer Feb 29, 2016

which one do you wear more often?

::rimshot::

ulackfocus likes this.
  18. al128 unsolicited co-moderation giverer Feb 29, 2016

that very watch ... (pic pulled from the webs) - 39mm of pure awe!!

[​IMG]

I was a young lad in 1990 and ordered (and prepaid half!!!) it - after 6 months I got a call ---- but instead of the delivery I took the notification that the price had been increased by Breitling by $100 and I had to pay up or would not get the watch ...

the AD was embarrassed and helped in what he could do (extra discount) but I eventually had to pay up $50 extra ... had to wait for 8 or so months (and was the laughing stock of my family ::facepalm1::)

Isnt it great that the times of a seller's market are long gone ? :D

on the upside ... a quarter of a century later I still have it ... had I spent the money on "hookers and blow" I now wouldnt have a quarter pounder bouncing around in my sock drawer like I do now ! :p

cheers, Al

Jones in LA likes this.
  19. ulackfocus Feb 29, 2016

Depends on the outfit. :whistling: :p

al128 likes this.
  20. Jones in LA Isofrane hoarder. Feb 29, 2016

Strangely, it was this watch, which I gave as a gift to Mrs. Jones

ladymatic.jpg
    image credit: www.omegawatches.com

My wife was annoyed enough by my incessant oogling of the movement through her watch's transparent caseback, that she gave me this watch as a gift so she could get her own watch back. I've been afflicted with The Sickness ever since.

IMG_0465_mods.jpg

GregH, gostang9, Taddyangle and 3 others like this.