Forums Latest Members

What was the Speedmaster's biggest sales year in it's history?

1. Unwound Jan 28, 2014

I would have no idea what year was the largest year was in volume for Speedmaster sales. Was it early/mid seventies?, mid sixties?, eighties?

Anybody know?

2. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Jan 28, 2014

I'm pretty sure it was nineteen somethingty something.

Sorry I can't be more precise!

3. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Jan 28, 2014

The answer you seek is...

in the phantom Speedmaster book, scheduled for release this coming someday.

;)

I wonder the same. It would be interesting also to know if there was a major increase in sales after the Space advertising...I mean presuming there was an increase, by what percentage?

4. cristos71 Jan 28, 2014

Well looking at the serial number/year reference charts there is a noticeable increase in all sales from around 1970 onwards. With approximately 4 million serial numbers given out in 1970 compared to the approx 2 million given in 1968. Read into this what you will Speedmaster wise, but some of these will have been Speedmasters and that could be attributed to the moon landing.
    Also interesting to see is the decline in sales from around the time of the mass produced quartz watch era, with a high between 1967 and 1977 of 15 million new serial numbers, between 1977 and 1987 a drop off to 10 million and then between 1987 and 1997 down to only 5 million. Hard times!

5. Unwound Jan 28, 2014

IF all those serial numbers represented watches built, that would be 1.5m a year average from 67-77. Working 21 days a month, production would average
    5,952 watches per day.

Omega watch for sale, I think it's Rare!

6. Northernman Lemaniac Jan 28, 2014

From Omega SAGA. Production numbers for SSIH total (Omega / Tissot / Lemania) and some other interesting info:
    Apologies for the bad picture quality. Top year 1973 with 13.5 million (!) pieces sold. What percentage was Speedmasters may be answered by others, but it seems we should start collecting early 1980's watches.... They are much rearer!
    SalesFig1970-1983.jpg

7. ulackfocus Jan 28, 2014

Hey, you could be an great eBay seller! :p

8. tomvox1 Jan 28, 2014

Cool chart and it does seem logical that 1973 would be peak for "Moonwatch" mania even though the Apollo program was over and the economy was about to tank. The vicarious thrill of owning an "astronaut's watch" and Omega's brilliant and relentless advertising probably made for a steady increase in sales of the Speedy Pro from just before the moon landing until the recession of late 1973. Of course, one does have to factor in that those increased production numbers also include competing chronographs like the Mark II, Mark III, etc and all those Seamaster 861 and 1040/5 chronos, so big overall sales may not directly translate into actual sales for the Speedy Pro specifically at that particular juncture.
    But since Omega's records are generally so good, I'm pretty sure they know which year was numero uno for the Speedy!
    As for collecting 80s Omegas--maybe less pieces produced but, as with so many Swiss manufacturers trying to cut the cost of production, the quality is not as good as in the decades past in general.
    Thanks again for the chart and gotta hunt down that book myself someday. :cool:
    Best,
    T.

9. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Jan 29, 2014

Generally Omega design in 80's and early 90 just uninteresting (if not downright ugly). It gets better after mid 90's (Bond effect?)
    Golden era for Omega dress watch IMO is 50-60's and Golden era for Omega Sport & Chronos IMO are late 60's to late 70's.

Northernman likes this.
  10. Northernman Lemaniac Jan 29, 2014

One more thing you can read out of the chart is that even though the number of pieces sold goes down with almost 90% the income does not.
    IMO this indicates that the main reduction was in the cheaper segment, and that the luxury part still was partly alive.
    As for chronos I think one should keep a look out for the different calibers from late 1930s and up to late 1970s. The military chronos of WWII area (caliber 15CH/33.3) should not be forgotten.

11. Jon R Jan 29, 2014

And look what happened to the reduction in employees (effectifs de personnel) as production was cut. This is a very interesting chart from a business perspective as the strategy was altered and very tough decisions must have to have been made to contend with changes to the business environment.

Northernman likes this.