Forums Latest Members
  1. MikiJ Likes songs about Purple spices Jan 1, 2014

I know there are much greater problems than this one, but I would enjoy your thoughts. Please understand this is not a solicitation for your watch nor an effort to sell/trade mine. Simply my asking for your advise.

Unfortunately my bankroll and collection have gone away with the years. I sold my last Patek to complete my humble all Omega box - Dress-up,Casual and Everyday beater. Now if I don't wear it I don't own it.

That being said: I'm having concerns with my everyday "beater", an original, unpolished 145022-69. It enjoys an original chocolate dial and sweeps plus the most pristine, blue patina DO90 bezel I have seen. It was ultrasonically cleaned and new gaskets installed a little over a year ago. It's only issues are a non original Omega crystal and a slight ding on the top pusher. Both of which I have sourced and would be installed when it requires service. It currently resets zero and runs couple of minutes a month fast.

Although I have posted this scan before, hopefully this will help you understand my problem. The "specs" you see are simply dust under the crystal that will be blown away when the new one is installed.

The more I understand the beauty and value of these transitional Speedo's, the more I respect their history. That being said: Would I be better off to past mine on to someone who will respect it more than me wearing for an everyday beater? If I were to "off" mine I would surely replace it with a newer FOIS. My belief is that although these are similar to the original roots of Speedmaster but modern technology makes them better suited for everyday wear. I further believe that my watch after a fresh service with the correct replacement parts installed would be close in value to a pre-owned FOIS. However my watch may be of greater value than a FOIS 5 years from now as long as it remains in it's current condition. I would be most grateful for your input.

Happy and Healthy New Year to all, Miki

P8250438.JPG

2. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 1, 2014

My recommendation would be, now is not the time. Keep the current watch as it is functional, attractive and serviced. I would further make one minor, easy change that would rejuvenate visual appreciation and increase your inner enjoyment, to wit: purchase and install a Thomas Preik display back. This is a great movement to view at your pleasure. A small expense and a new dimension for the watch. This is also a simple road to pursue.

dsio and Time Exposure like this.
  3. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Jan 1, 2014

+1

Even WITH a bank roll, I would
    rather have an original, reliable 145.022 manufactured during the actual era of the moon landing, than a watch (with the same movement) that commemorated the era.

TLIGuy likes this.
  4. ulackfocus Jan 1, 2014

If you sell that watch you're freakin' nuts. Buy a beater Seiko chronograph and kick it's ass on a daily basis, then wear the Speedmaster around the house gingerly.

5. MikiJ Likes songs about Purple spices Jan 3, 2014

Overwhelming opinion is unanimous: Keep it! However I have never worn other than a Swiss watch for over 50 years. I started with Omega and I'll end with one on my wrist. One way to put an end to my concerns is for me to put a couple of scratches in the bezel so I won't worry about any damage ;-) Thanx, Miki

6. Dablitzer Jan 3, 2014

Don't think I'd ever give up a watch like that. Just my two c's!

7. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 3, 2014

Love the Thomas Preik caseback on my 145.012-67, that movement really is cool to watch, especially the resetting in action, and the balance, you don't quite appreciate how lazy the balance is on the 321 until you see it in action.

pascs likes this.
  8. pascs Jan 4, 2014

Just buy a 2nd hand poorer condition bezel and replace your existing one if you are concerned about damaging it, I've just done this for my 145.012-67 since I dont want to damage its mint dot 90 bezel.

I do have a FOIS which I wear more regularly than the 145.012-67 but that may change once I swap the bezels :D

And some case backs ...............

[​IMG]