Forums Latest Members

What to wear: Fitness tracker and/or wristwatch?

1. BenBagbag Aug 3, 2017

Before I bought my first few watches that I like to wear consistently, my wife bought me a fitbit. I truthfully like the step counter and heart rate monitor (it also has a text message notification feature). But now that I have other watches I want to wear, I feel like I have to choose. I think it looks goofy to have a fitbit on my right wrist and a vintage seamaster on my left. Has anyone tried pulling off both? Anyone can relate to the struggle?
    I was thinking of trading my fitbit down to a tracker that is much much thinner, one that looks like a wristband (any recommendations?).

First world problems...

PS: The and/or in the title never implies to wear the fitness tracker ;)

GuiltyBoomerang likes this.
  2. blufinz52 Hears dead people, not watch rotors. Aug 3, 2017

Mrs. Blufinz bought me a Fitbit last Christmas. I wore it about once a week at first, but I hardly ever wear it now. Turns out I really don't care how many steps I take or how that equates to how flights of stairs, etc. Just me.

3. BenBagbag Aug 3, 2017

They say the drop-off on these fitness trackers is crazy... Something like 90% of people don't wear it after 3 months... Idk, I found myself in the 10%...

blufinz52 likes this.
  4. arcadelt Aug 3, 2017

I've been wearing nice watches for a long time now and a Fitbit for the last 3 or 4 years. I wear both on opposite wrists. I originally had a Flex and now an Alta, and they are narrow enough to look like a bracelet, so I have no problem with it. I also sometimes wear other bracelets with the Fitbit, but never with my watch. I think you can pull it off, unless you have one of the wider Fitbits like the Charge. BTW, you can chose what to display on the Fitbit, and I have turned the time off because it is redundant.

BenBagbag likes this.
  5. gostang9 Aug 4, 2017

I had the older Charge HR in the XLG. This allowed me to wear it on my ankle under a sock when not working out or exercising (i.e.: anytime I might not like the look of a FitBit on the right and nice watch on the left). I found it worked great, it kept track of my steps, HR and sleep.

The biggest benefit for me was tracking my sleep. I spend a fair bit of time traveling internationally and so I'm not always consistent in my sleep patterns and length of time sleeping. Before the FB I would often feel tired and I'd wonder how much sleep I was getting. It might sound silly to some, but I'm data driven and so seeing my sleep data helped confirm when I was getting too low on sleep and it led to a better focus on getting the sleep I needed. Unlike some people, I have found that I don't function well with less than 7.25 hours of sleep a night, and when I'm traveling or working long hours, I sometimes struggle to hit my needed sleep level.

Unfortunately, my FB Charge HR stopped working about a month ago after warranty period was over, and I haven't yet decided to replace it. My travel schedule has been lighter if late and so the sleep data hasn't been as important.

lando and BenBagbag like this.
  6. WatchVaultNYC Aug 4, 2017

I've had smartwatches since they were new (Moto 360). I now rock at Sony Smartwatch 3 as it has wade-in-pool water resistance. The Casio looks pretty cool.

However, to me smartwatches are relegated to "tool" status. I wear them during the day to help me keep up with my work. After office hours I take it off and wear mechanicals.

BenBagbag likes this.
  7. BenBagbag Aug 4, 2017

Totally interested in wearing it under my socks, but risk looking like I'm under house arrest. Interesting solutions, guys.

STANDY likes this.
  8. Uniqez Aug 4, 2017

I think I've seen a little flat tracking device that you can put on the back of your watch ( it is a little round shaped plate, that you can glue to case back).
    But, I have my smart watch just for the GYM and my phone is tracking my steps ( obviously, you need to keep it in your pocket).
    I think wearing watch and fit bit at the same time would look silly.
    [​IMG]

9. BenBagbag Aug 4, 2017

Anyone want to share a pic sporting fitbit Alta on right and a watch on left wrist? I have the charge HR and it looks bulky. Not sure it the alta and alta hr are same thickness but would be interested in seeing...

For those keeping track, Fitbit is doing terribly sales/profit-wise. Stock is doing terribly. Just fun fact.

Uniqez likes this.
  10. melanieux Aug 4, 2017

I use the Fitbit Flex 2 (left wrist) - it's much smaller, so not as obnoxious. It tracks steps and has the smartphone alerts - just no HR or watch function. Then I strap my watch on my right.. it works well. I've also used the necklace, but that's a girl thing, I think.

11. Jones in LA Isofrane hoarder. Aug 4, 2017

This is a wristwatch and does all the stuff a fitness tracker does, plus a lot more. No need to wear one or the other, or both :)

(and the screen is way brighter than a Fitbit display -- you can actually read it outdoors!)

IMG_2169_mods.jpg

watchos likes this.
  12. Jones in LA Isofrane hoarder. Aug 4, 2017

I used to roll like this but not for long. It was annoying. That's how I ended up with an Apple Watch.

IMG_0260_fitbit.jpg

Shailor and BenBagbag like this.
  13. Vitezi Aug 4, 2017

C'mon, @Mad Dog has this already solved...Seamaster on top, Fitbit on bottom?
    [​IMG]
    (thanks)

Mad Dog and Speedy_Gonzales like this.
  14. Speedy_Gonzales Aug 4, 2017

If someone could figure out how to make a fitness tracker that looked like a Buddhist beaded bracelet they would be rich. Too bad I don't have the technical knowledge for a prototype.:(

15. arcadelt Aug 4, 2017

No wonder, it's a Charge and they are pretty wide. Now you don't get to wear your fine mechanical watches.

16. mmdl8 Aug 4, 2017

I just wear both at the same time. Fitbit on the right wrist and my watch on the left. Who cares what other people think.

17. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Aug 4, 2017

Wear a old school leather fit bit around my waist most days

Getting fitter left holes ----- More walking right holes

image.jpeg

sjg22, BrianMcKay, Mtnmansa and 5 others like this.
  18. BenBagbag Aug 6, 2017

Can that make and receive phone calls too?

19. GuiltyBoomerang Aug 6, 2017

I used to have a Fitbit and another watch on the other hand. No probs there. I just felt like it was a wristband and that made the adjustment eaaier.

20. dialstatic Aug 10, 2017

It seems like the electronics for one of these gizmos could easily fit inside a bracelet of a normal watch and the clasp could be the display. I'd buy an Omega Fitbit Bracelet.

BrianMcKay likes this.