Forums Latest Members

What to put on the shipping documents?

1. JamieG Jul 3, 2020

I recently shipped a high value watch with insurance from Secursus.

Their packaging guidelines say:

“Nothing on the package or label must give away the nature or value of your item.

Beware of wordings which might express inadvertent reference to valuable goods. Obvious words that directly relate to valuables are strictly prohibited.

Never reveal the content of your shipment, even to the carrier (unless required by customs for export).”

Easy enough I thought until I got to the point of booking the carrier, most of which want to know what they are carrying. DHL actually want their driver to physically check that the parcel contains nothing on their restricted items list and ask that you seal the box after inspection.......erm......no thank you!

I am in the UK and Royal Mail Parcelforce actually need you to fill out a customs declaration form even when inside the EU ffs!

TNT / FedEx at least don’t want to check the contents but do ask for what it is.

So I’m genuinely interested in what people’s thoughts are to get around this bit of red tape? I’ve seen shipments referred to as “timing device” before. Which I always thought was a bit suspect.

2. Dan S Jul 3, 2020

Apparently some people write “precision instrument”. Good luck. I hope you don’t need to make a claim.

Mark020 and connieseamaster like this.
  3. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Jul 3, 2020

If precision instrument, which is what Parcel Pro uses doesn't work try, "used horological item for repair".

4. kov Trüffelschwein. Jul 3, 2020

If I was working for customs, I would open such a thread.

What else do you happen to write, folks? ::popcorn::

5. JamieG Jul 3, 2020

I do not work for customs.

My watch reached its destination no problem, but it did involve a bit of head scratching to come up with something nondescript for the description

6. Davidt Jul 3, 2020

In the UK I've shipped several items with DHL + ParcelPro and despite what it says on the website, no DHL driver has ever asked me to open the package. The first time I shipped I left it open and asked if he wanted to check - he looked at me like I was stupid. I've sealed every package since and never had an issue.

DJG2645 and wristpirate like this.
  7. Socks Jul 3, 2020

This thread is interesting, as I've been pondering about international shipping the last 2 days. UK to Singapore the Royal Mail custom form requires what it is & value. Just seems asking for trouble and in direct contravention to the recommendations of the 3rd party insurer Secursus.
    How do the likes of DHL & TNT deal with it?

IMG_3098.JPG

thelinendial likes this.
  8. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jul 3, 2020

Once you sign it it is a legal declaration ;)

Pretty sure Secursus mentioned in another thread that their labelling directions has nothing to do with the legal requirements of the Customs dec. And back tracked when pushed it was a requirement to not cover Customs label.

9. The Father Went out for smokes in ‘78 not seen since Jul 3, 2020

Shipped watch from US to UK
    I did not fill out a Customs form for the small parcel box.
    Arrived in UK in 10 days. Could have been dumb luck or the custom guys in UK were not really going to open some box from a hick in Arizona

Edited Jul 3, 2020
  10. ZIELSZIEK Jul 5, 2020

Whenever I ship something I use a 3rd party engine that finds the cheapest/fastest/whatever you want service, depending on what you put in.
    I recently began selling on Chrono24 and after having someone pay for the watch, I proceeded to ship it.
    The irony of it is, that the search engine specifically says that it will not insure jewelry, and watches are right in that category. So I decided to say "horological piece". Not allowed. "precision instrument" Nope. "watch repair parts" Naughty word.
    So I just went with "stainless steel case with leather strap" and called it a day.

thelinendial likes this.
  11. Professor Jul 6, 2020

When I ordered an antique Parker Hale target sight for my 1915 Enfield from South Africa the seller marked the box as "machine parts".

Mark020 likes this.
  12. rootbeer7 Jul 6, 2020

I tend to use ‘horological parts’

13. omegastar Jul 6, 2020

Expensive vintage ROLEX diver’s watch ?

14. pongster Jul 6, 2020

If SS: “pre owned stainless steel precision instrument”

If PM: “pre owned metallic precision instrument”

15. imageWIS Jul 6, 2020

'Precision Instrument' should be more than sufficient.

rootbeer7 likes this.
  16. Mark020 not the sharpest pencil in the ΩF drawer Jul 6, 2020

Used timing device is also nicely vague :)

17. TimeODanaos Jul 6, 2020

Also has really bad vibes for law enforcement here - one to avoid.