Forums Latest Members

What to look for when picking up new watch "Check List"

1. FerrisBM Aug 30, 2018

Hi all. I am due to pick up my first omega this Saturday. I have gone for the brand new sapphire sandwich of the Speedy Pro. Could I have some tips on what to examine and inspect to make sure i dont get home and find an issue later on that I didn't spot in the store. This is my first ever proper watch with a mechanical movement so Im not afraid to admit I am a novice!

Other than inspecting for any scratches or imperfections, which of course there should none, what is the "check list" I should follow on a speedy pro to make sure all is good with it!

Thanks in advance

DM

queriver likes this.
  2. MikeMan2727 Aug 30, 2018

Are you picking it up brand new from an Omega Boutique? I would not expect any issues to arrise with that.

You could always ask them to show you how to wind and set the time if you are new to mechanical watches altogether. They will be happy to help you! If it is on a bracelet, make sure they size it for you before leaving.

Foo2rama likes this.
  3. Bushido Aug 30, 2018

Hi and welcome to the forums!

If you are picking up the Pro from an AD/OB, as stated above, have them take you through the watch functions and how to change the bracelet for strap. Likelihood of something working improperly is small but can happen. Checking functions at the shop will help discern if you should have concerns.

Once satisfied, strap it to your wrist and enjoy!

"Check List" wise, my only advice is this: Take a look at your current bank account total. Then subtract a large percentage of that to get an idea of where you will be financially over the next 6-12 months as these watches are addictive!

Wivac and kaisiang098 like this.
  4. WatchWalker Aug 30, 2018

Focus on the champagne that comes with it!

frederico likes this.
  5. M'Bob Aug 30, 2018

DON'T TELL YOUR WIFE.

Lbreak, BatDad, southard and 2 others like this.
  6. kaisiang098 Aug 30, 2018

PREACH! :D

7. queriver Aug 31, 2018

Other than above, make sure everything that is meant to come in the box is included: warranty card, pictogram card, wallet for cards, instruction book, hang-tag, whatever accessories come with the sapphire sandwich. Checked on C24 and apparently you get a NATO strap, velcro strap, loupe, hippocampus medallion, strap change tool, but others on OF will be able to confirm. Check the serial numbers match. When you get home keep everything, even the hang-tag,... and enjoy! You made a great choice for your first mechanical watch to have a see-through caseback.

Mtnmansa likes this.
  8. FerrisBM Aug 31, 2018

Thanks all! Great advice. I have spent a long time building up to this watch and have spent countless hours learning about the watch and the industry as a whole. I do like to get under the skin, so top speak, with all my passions in life. Of course its much to the annoyance of the other half! As I like to bore her with what I've learnt! Its come about as I've spent years as an avionics techie on aircraft so I have the need to understand how everything works!

9. drhombus24 Sep 1, 2018

For the speedy, I would check and make sure the pushers are sticking out at an even length, everything else should be fine. Congrats on the purchase! Now that I have both hesalite and sapphire, I think I would keep the sapphire if I were to sell one. That caseback really does it for me!

10. FerrisBM Sep 1, 2018

Thanks again. I went today and went to the AD and it was bought out still in the packaging direct from Omega. Sadly on opening and inspecting I found a scratch on the polished part of the angled top left lug. Once id seen it i couldn't unsee it! I fully expect to scratch the watch myself but I dont want to pay thousands to get a new one already scratched! So my hour journey in the the AD was a bit of waste really. I did make a note of the serial number as I dont really want the watch to go and get "repaired"etc and come back to the AD so I hope they send a new one. Am I too fussy? I mean the scratch was noticeable if only about 1/2 millimeter in size but on the highly polished part it seemed to stand out.

Do you think Im right in expecting a replacement and not a polished out watch the has been sent back to go through the mill of the service department? After all surely paying for a new watch that has been repaired/polished isn't really getting a new one is it?

11. drhombus24 Sep 1, 2018

If you’re paying for a new watch, you should get a NEW watch.

12. Vercingetorix Spam Risk Sep 1, 2018

Make sure the instruction manual and box you receive are the same as listed on the pictograms card.

13. Bushido Sep 1, 2018

I don't think this is being too fussy at all. When you're purchasing a brand new watch, especially at these prices, it's reasonable to expect no physical damage. Even if only minor and aesthetic.

Did you request they notify you once a new Pro comes in? I'm also a little surprised an AD only had the one Speedy Pro in stock, which I presume is the case since you didn't mention them bringing another out for you to consider?

14. FerrisBM Sep 1, 2018

HI Yes the AD were very sympathetic and agreed to return the watch to Omega and will call me when another comes in. I just didn't clarify if it was for a new one or not. It'll be fine I'm sure as Ill ring on Monday and check! They do have more speedys in store but in the window but I asked for a virgin omega to be bought in so I could have the experience of opening a brand new one with protective covers on the front etc etc. But these things happen and the important ting is that the AD deals with it correctly, which they have!

15. sevenhelmet Sep 1, 2018

New Watch Checklist:
    1.) Inspect for defects or physical damage (using a loupe)
    2.) Check of all watch functions (for a Speedy that's winding, setting, and chronograph start/stop, reset, and proper hand advancements, particularly "jumping" minute and hour hands).
    3.) Size bracelet, if applicable
    4.) Wear & enjoy!

Once you get it home, you can check it against a Watch Timer app or a known time source, such as the atomic clock or USNO online to verify its accuracy and precision and verify its power reserve. Not much else to check on a new Speedy that I can think of.

16. MrJKLFoams Sep 2, 2018

Haha. Perfect advice!

17. arvidrattlaas Sep 2, 2018

+1

18. JanV Sep 2, 2018

Also remember to save the receipt of payment, 20-50 years from now that will prove great provenance for the watch! If the receipt would include the serial number, even better. :)

19. bonerp Sep 4, 2018

I find taking the wife (for the free champers) helps as it encourages her to encourage me to do it again! :)

20. Jaeger Sep 5, 2018

If you're getting it from an Omega AD, you would assume that everything is included - box, accessories, manual, warranty card etc.

First of all, check the general functionality of the watch.

Secondly, see if there are any particles or micro dust on the dial. This can happen from time to time. Use a loupe or see it under a sun light (get closer to a sun light). Sometimes the light inside the boutique is not bright enough to detect this.

Another thing especially to beware is to ensure the second and/or sub dial hands on the chronograph perfectly aligns with the minute/hour print. I've noticed that this issue from time to time does happen with the Omega Chronographs. Although it looks aligned from a distance, if you examine it very carefully using a loupe sometimes there are a misalignment issues.