Forums Latest Members
  1. LameBMX Jan 19, 2019

Hello all! Newb here with the itching for a vintage 321 seamaster. I realize I am nowhere near informed enough to purchase. I also, assume like many others, am not a watch head nor want to spend the level of research I did before say buying our sailboat. Can any tell me if the following is fake? If so, what features made you think this? Is it an appropriate price for the condition? Again, why? Does it seem correct that it appears in decent shape, probably fairly well polished, but everything is still looking fairly even. What others things should I look for? Perhaps I should note, I would like a workhorse watch, so it has no need to be pristine. However I have an interest to learn and practice celestial navigation. Without further ado, an ebay listing to learn some! I did a lot of lurking in here and am fairly confident it's not fake (way the 3 circles line up with the minute rings. Particularly certain markings on the little circles point to the same minute marks on them all, ie bottom in line with the 30 minute mark.)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-OM...126119?hash=item2ab77e2d67:g:KEYAAOSwEehbNo5oPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

2. kingsrider Thank you Sir! May I have another? Jan 19, 2019

LameBMX likes this.
  3. Dan S Jan 19, 2019

It's not fake, but it's very rough. Bad spots on the dial, damaged pushers, loss of gold cap on a lug. I would consider it to be very close to a parts watch, and priced way too high IMO.

LameBMX likes this.
  4. LameBMX Jan 19, 2019

Ok, will start with a couple pics of the pushers...

Screenshot_20190119-220513_eBay.jpg Screenshot_20190119-220402_eBay.jpg

So is the pusher on the right in the last image just devoid of plating, or should they appear to be one continuous piece? The one on the left would imply a plated collar. Is there something other than appearance that screams the pushers are not functional? Clear pics for the more informed on the subdial and sweep hands.

5. LameBMX Jan 19, 2019

I assume this is the lug where you can see the plating flaking off?

Screenshot_20190119-220504_eBay.jpg

Regarding the dial, is there anything other than the black spotting, the wear at the end of tachymetre, and the spots at some of the lines? Obviously, I think, the wear like at the end of tachometre wont clean. Does this appear something a cleaning would clean up some, not really have an effect, or be in a state of rapid deterioration? I know black spots on carbon steel wont go away, but with proper maintenance wont get worse. Are the hands supposed to be skeletal and filled with something that glows, or was that something that was done later? Is it correct to assume the dial has not been redone? I also noted loss of crispness on some of the markers.

Screenshot_20190119-220447_eBay.jpg

6. Lbreak Jan 19, 2019

it looks pretty rough… hmmm I would say stay away and wait for one in decent condition, save up if necessary.

BTW I remember there is a Seamaster cal 321 ref 145.005-67 currently in the Private Sales Forum. That one looks better than this, do check that out.

LameBMX likes this.
  7. Lbreak Jan 19, 2019

LameBMX likes this.
  8. LameBMX Jan 19, 2019

I had read through that. Not many mint pictures that I have been finding on Google to compare to. The sale ad did answer my question about what the pushers should look like. That does make the subdials mounting area on this appear larger than what that one came with. But the again the watch in question here is a few years older.

Lbreak likes this.
  9. LameBMX Jan 19, 2019

Can see the difference in the sweep hand on that rose gold seamaster. The dings being right at a crease worried me on that one, and it looks like the other side my be a bit split, or a weird reflection. I doubt the movement would be fond of mucky lake water.