Forums Latest Members

What to do next once you've bought an old watch? Seamaster

1. Trenstar May 2, 2019

Hi team.. new guy here... recently caught the bug. So, I saw an old seamaster for sale on local Craigslist and went for it, figured if I ever need to wear a dress watch, it would be a lot cooler to have something old. To be honest this thing could be fake, as far as I know, but the seller seemed like a decent guy so hopefully not. I think it looks pretty sweet but again, I don't know much. One thing is that it seems really small, at first I thought it must be womens watch, but I guess that's how they did mens dress watches back in the day? By my tape measure it looks to be 34 or 35 mm. Anyways I do have a skinny wrist, so maybe it's nothing to worry about. It seems to run normally, guess I'll know in a day or two how well it keeps time. I'll see if I can post a bunch of photos, be stoked to hear some input on exactly what I've got here, from a community that knows stuff. There is a crack in the crystal, just above the "3", probably hard to see on the pics. It doesn't, however, appear to go all the way through.

Having never done this before, I'm not sure what people do in these situations... put it on and go, take it to an Omega boutique for service, leave it looking old, try to get it "restored" etc.... any input would be welcomed.

Also not sure if there's a way to identify what year it was made, but that would be cool to know too.

Lastly, it's hard to take a good photo of these things isn't it... reflections and shadows...

Cheers,

IMG_3949 2.JPG IMG_3951 3.JPG IMG_3953.jpg IMG_3967 2.jpg IMG_3966 2.jpg IMG_3965 2.jpg IMG_3962 2.jpg IMG_3960 2.jpg IMG_3958.jpg IMG_3956.jpg
    Spruce likes this.
  2. river9 May 3, 2019

I really love this kind of patina. Case design too which is probably consistent with late 50s early 60s ( my birth year:)
    Somehow was there a bezel sourrunding watch crystal? Hope I am wrong

3. apsm100 applysome! May 3, 2019

Great first vintage Omega! Looks all original to me but it does look like it is missing its bezel (ring around the crystal).

Probably mid-60’s— you can find out exactly by looking for a serial number on the movement.

Test the watch for a few days (accuracy and power reserve) and try finding a local watchmaker if you think somethings off (gaining or losing minutes a day is bad).

Edited May 3, 2019
  4. Passover May 3, 2019

Key to identifying (Omega) watches are the reference number (165.002) and the serial number (on the movement, not visiable on your picture, hidden by the rotor)

[​IMG]

Yours should be around 22 millions dating it to the miod 60ies.

If the accuracy of the watch is OK I wouldn't do anything right now.

If in need of a service bring it to an independant watchmaker.

Restoring it would cost you a lot of money, the laquer on the dial would have to be removed etc.

This would be far more than the (money) value of the watch.

Just wear the watch and enjoy it!

5. JimInOz Melbourne Australia May 3, 2019

If there is no valid service history you need to get the watch properly serviced or you may just wear it to death (literally). A gentle dusting off for the dial and a new crystal and it'll be a decent thing to wear.

It's not missing a bezel, the case shape is normal for that model.

apsm100, Davidt and efauser like this.
  6. efauser I ♥ karma!!! May 3, 2019

apsm100 likes this.
  7. JimInOz Melbourne Australia May 3, 2019

I already said that.

:D

wsfarrell likes this.
  8. Passover May 3, 2019

Concerning service:

Of course the watch would benefit from a service!

I had the impression that the OP is still a bit unshure if the watch is the right one for him

"One thing is that it seems really small, at first I thought it must be womens watch, but I guess that's how they did mens dress watches back in the day? By my tape measure it looks to be 34 or 35 mm. Anyways I do have a skinny wrist, so maybe it's nothing to worry about."

So I thought it would be better wearing it for some time and then deciding about wearing it constantly

9. efauser I ♥ karma!!! May 3, 2019

Yeah, but I said it better.

10. JimInOz Melbourne Australia May 3, 2019

Fauser.jpg

apsm100 and efauser like this.
  11. efauser I ♥ karma!!! May 3, 2019

Next time, try to use the same font.:D

12. smorrisonmd May 3, 2019

What was purchase price?

13. kingsrider Thank you Sir! May I have another? May 3, 2019

The pics are not the clearest so I can't say for sure but I think the that crystal is after market. The dial does not appear to be well matched to the compression ring. This will lead to wear on the dial as it moves around. If the crystal is cracked you will want to replace it. Make sure you get the correct Omega crystal. It will make a huge difference in the aesthetics of the watch. I think the crystal for this watch is 063PZ5056.

14. JwRosenthal May 3, 2019

The bezel on the .002's are flat like the 50's Seamasters I believe so it may appear like there isn't one, a side shot would show it. Agreed with all the above, a light dusting off of the dial, crystal replacement and a good scrubbing of the case (don't do this yourself- the waterproof seals are probably shot) and it will look like a different watch.

I wore 39-41mm watches for 15 years and when I threw a 34mm on my wrist it felt like I was wearing a ladies watch. Now my regular wears are 33-35 and when I put on anything above a 36 it feels huge....you get used to it and actually can prefer it- like me.

The key is to wear it daily for 2 weeks, don't rotate in any other watches. First day it feels like a toy and you will question your masculinity. Day two you think it's kind of cute, day 3 it begins to feel normal and by week's end you don't even think about it.

15. Trenstar May 3, 2019

$450 USD.

16. Trenstar May 3, 2019

Thanks, regarding Omega boutique service, is it a cost thing?

17. Passover May 3, 2019

That won't help: The lacquer layer is damaged at several areas and it already has hairlinecracks at other areas.

From what I learned this is irreversible!

18. Trenstar May 3, 2019

Thank you. A quick Google search turned up only expired ebay posts on that part number, any advice on where one might find one?

19. Trenstar May 3, 2019

Wow thanks to everyone replying, really appreciate all the insights. I checked the serial against the chart that Passover posted and it appears to be from 1965. One other thing, when I look around google to try and see what this watch is about, all the dials I'm finding are different, in that they only have marks for the hours, and don't have the "12", "3", "6" "9". I thought maybe that means this one is a less common model?

20. Trenstar May 3, 2019

Thanks. Here's a couple side shots....

IMG_3976.JPG IMG_3975.JPG