Forums Latest Members
  1. lifeowner771 May 16, 2017

Hello guys. Long story short, I received a manual wind omega seamaster that my grandfather used to wear back when he was a seaman during the 50s and 60s. I asked on a different forum for information, and told me that the watch bellow is cal 283/284 late 50s early 60s, and the dial is a bad redial. (That should explain why I could not find any watches similar to this).
    IMG_2997.JPG IMG_2998.JPG

Ι found a pretty good watchmaker in my city, and told me he can find a new dial, or he can send it for a repaint. My idea was to either put a black dial or paint it black like the watch bellow.

11318.jpg

Is the watch truly redialed or is there a chance that the dial is original? From a little research that I have made, watch collectors are not fans of redials, but in the case of my watch, I was thinking that since I am not going to sell it and the dial (if the information I got is correct) is not the original, a redial would be a good think. What do you guys believe?

Thanks in advance.

2. efauser I ♥ karma!!! May 16, 2017

It is a redial, for sure. Personally, I would find a proper replacement dial but, since there are no plans to sell it, a good (stressing good) redial is fine. Please note that the black dial you posted has a god-awful relume job.
    Do a site search for redialers, there are a few that have been recommended, or one of the more knowledgeable members will be along and can point you in the right direction. I would keep the dial as close to original as possible.

3. lifeowner771 May 16, 2017

Thank you for such a quick response.

What do you mean with the bad relume job?

The watchmaker that was recommended to me, will send it abroad to a redialer. Unfortunately living in Greece kinda limits my options. Good thing is that the watchmaker is well known so I can trust that he will send it to someone who can do a proper job.

Finally, when it comes to keeping the dial as close to the original as possible, why do you believe this? Not saying that you are wrong of course, just trying to gather as much information as I can.

4. Davidt May 16, 2017

Completely agree with @efauser. The black redial you posted is terrible.

If the watch has sentimental value it's worth either sourcing a correct dial (the ref no inside the case back can be used to search Google for correct dials), or having a good quality redial done.

Make sure you see examples of the re-dialers work beforehand if you go this route. You don't want to end up with one like the black dial shown above. It's less than worthless and looks like shit.

efauser likes this.
  5. SgWatchBaron May 16, 2017

Just google how the dials are supposed to look like for that particular watch for that year of production. Then search online for the similar dial. Post the picture of the dial for sale here, and we will try to advice! I do not believe in redials aka refinished dials. Yes, some are done on original Omega dial plates, but ultimately the printing is done by someone else. Which makes it a fake/aftermarket part in my books.

6. Davidt May 16, 2017

Agree with this in almost all cases, but as the OP isn't a watch collector and it may take significant time to locate a dial, a redial, although not the best option value or collector-wise, might be the easiest option in this instance.

7. lifeowner771 May 16, 2017

Thank you guys for the responses. You have been really helpful. The first thing that I said to the watchmaker was to find a new dial. I am currently waiting for information.

Can I find dials based on the cal number? What I mean is, will a cal. 283/284 dial fit my watch? Or am I saying something stupid?

I will weight in all options before making my decision. Although I have to note that this watch has a sentimental value mostly, and would not sell it even if the value of the watch was 10.000. My second though is, that even though it is a redial, I have no problem wearing it and love every minute of it. So while I understand the view on the repaint, when it comes to this watch, I do not have much of a problem with a repaint. (if it's a good repaint of course)

Edited May 16, 2017
  8. efauser I ♥ karma!!! May 16, 2017

You want to look for a dial based on reference number (stamped inside the case back). Have the watchmaker take the back off and take a clear, preferably high resolution, photo of the movement (include all numbers) and case back. once you have those photos, post them here.

9. lifeowner771 May 16, 2017

Ok great, I will take a picture and post it here. Thank you very much!

10. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! May 16, 2017

Oh, and take no notice of the tosser on WUS who said the dial was half decent. ;)

werdna77, GuiltyBoomerang and efauser like this.
  11. lifeowner771 May 16, 2017

haha, it's not huh? Funny, when I first got it i thought it was pretty good for its age. Plus it was on the sea for a long time. My standards are low perhaps. :thumbsdown:

12. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! May 16, 2017

Actually, given the circumstances, if I were in your shoes I could live with the dial as it is.
    It's just that the so called expert on WUS didn't even know a bad redial when it was staring him in the face.

13. lifeowner771 May 16, 2017

Ah yes of course, keeping it as it is is always an option. Tbh, I quite like combining it with this nato strap.It's a great combination for the summer. It gives the watch a more modern twist. Even If I can't manage to find a new dial, I'll be equally as happy to keep it as it is.
    18302412_10213268513253256_245572237_n.jpg

14. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction May 16, 2017

I'm asking this for my own personal enlightenment, and not to cast aspersions on the OP's watch which I hope he will enjoy wearing. I also apologise in advance if this causes thread drift.

Is it usual to have a properly embossed screw down caseback on a Seamaster of that potential vintage with that assumed movement? I've done a bit of digging, and the consensus seems to be that the transition from the simple "Seamaster" and "Waterproof" engraving on the caseback to the hippocampus happened in the late 50s (1958 on?) and the embossed (as opposed to etched) hippocampus became the norm in the early to mid 60s.

I also notice that virtually all the casebacks on late 50s Seamasters with the hippocampus would appear to be snap back rather than screw down.

Thoughts?

15. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! May 16, 2017

You may well be right, it was the same guy that missed the redial that told the OP it was late 50's early 60's.
    He's been discussed here on the forum once or twice before.

16. lifeowner771 May 16, 2017

So it might as well be from a different year or different cal?

In about an hour I'll go to the watchmaker to take pictures of the movement, reference number etc, and post them here.

17. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 16, 2017

I haven't looked at the thread, but I know who you are likely referring to. The OP should take all information he posts with a massive grain of salt.

18. lifeowner771 May 16, 2017

Just came back from the watchmaker. This is the best photo I could take. Any info? IMG_3094.JPG

19. Tony C. Ωf Jury member May 16, 2017

A photo of the inside of the case back is what is needed.

20. lifeowner771 May 16, 2017

Oh damn. All photos are blurry. Won't this photo be of any help?