Forums Latest Members

What reference is the watch Sir Edmund Hillary wore on Everest?

1. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Aug 4, 2021

Although Rolex sponsored Everest expeditions from 1933 onwards, the "conquest" of the mountain has an amazing & interesting history !
    I have always been amazed how in 1999 the body of George Mallory was found while the body of Andrew Irvine (who carried a photo camera) remains to be found to this day... Both climbers perished on Everest in June 1924 and Mallory's body was located in May 1999.
    Among his personal belongings was his wristwatch !
    1999_Mallory.jpg
    George Mallory's wristwatch found in 1999

2. Revo Aug 5, 2021

^^ that's really neat. Thanks. The watch is a Borgel irrc.

3. Revo Aug 6, 2021

Worth saying the the Smiths had an entirely in-house movement (heck, they even made their own rubies and oils). At the same time (1953) Rolex were, I think, buying in movements from Aegler.

Also, while we're here, the Oyster wasn't the first waterproof wristwatch case, despite Rolex saying so all over their official website etc.

But what you gonna do 'bout it? <shrug> Rolex gonna Rolex. It's what they do. PR = BS. Fanboys vs. facts.

ErichPryde and Doc Savage like this.
  4. sxl2004 Aug 6, 2021

EA76791C-9418-4416-BD39-3CEEB358A5FD.jpeg Here is the closest Smiths watch to Hillary’s watch on Everest, a Benson watch. :D

5. Revo Aug 6, 2021

Actually here's the closest (the Benson, part from not being branded on the dial or movement as Smiths, has a 16 jewel movement vs. Hillary's 15j) Screen Shot 2021-08-06 at 10.12.20.png

6. sxl2004 Aug 6, 2021

Uhhhhh
    Thanks for the info.
    Now off to another wild goose chase……

Revo likes this.
  7. size11s Can’t bat, can’t bowl Aug 6, 2021

I think the earlier JW Benson SmithS had 15 jewel movements rather than 16 jewels, I have had a few. I also wonder if Hillary's watch had the gasket for the crystal to improve water resistance as the JW Benson Tropical does? Gratuitous pic 'cos I really enjoy this watch.
    [​IMG]

8. Revo Aug 6, 2021

That's a stunner. I think the later Bensons were 15j iirc. Not sure that H's has the Tropical spec as it's the 1st gen Aquatite (with the writing on the outside of the case back) and I think that's too early for the gasket upgrade. (The Bensons appear in 1953 and H's watch dates I think to 1951 or 2; I'd need the c-series s/n but the case is definitely the 1st iteration). H's did have special low temperature oils I believe, I guess viscosity becomes a problem at minus whatever degrees Celsius is was (although H probably used Fahrenheit of course!)

But when Rolex et al. tell you it was 11:30am when Hillary stood atop the mountain that's because he looked at his Smiths watch to check the time.

Sadly, in this case, history is written by the losers. But they have deep pockets and dedicated fans. Still, some of us think the truth matters.

watchyouwant, cvalue13 and sxl2004 like this.
  9. size11s Can’t bat, can’t bowl Aug 6, 2021

The 15 jewels were definitely earlier Revo, this is one I used to have. C91075, so certainly before 1953, more likely circa 1950. I am not yet completely convinced about the timeline for the plain and text Aquatite case backs and the numbering system on them doesn't appear to make good consecutive sense.
    [​IMG]

ErichPryde likes this.
  10. Revo Aug 6, 2021

Looks like you're right about the early 15j, always associate them with the later (non-Dennison) Bensons. Thanks.

But I'd have though that that movement s/n would be in a 1st gen case with the different dustcap.

Ah, well, no matter.

PS I hope you put an o-ring seal on that back!

size11s likes this.
  11. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 6, 2021

As they did up until I think 2008, when they finally bought them out.

ErichPryde, Caliber561 and Revo like this.
  12. Revo Aug 6, 2021

2004 I think? Although I think at some point they entered into an exclusive contract with Rolex. So not quite in-house but closer: a monogamous relationship (except for the chronographs, which Rolex bought from Zenith El-Primero and Valjoux). Before that point they also supplied Gruen and some retailers (e.g. Weir & Sons).

ErichPryde likes this.
  13. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Aug 10, 2021

For those interested , do check the July 1953 TV footage & photographs of the expedition team in London... interesting reading:
    Tenzing's Two Wrist-Watches: The Conquest of Everest and Late Imperial Culture in Britain 1921-1953
    ;)

ErichPryde likes this.
  14. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Aug 24, 2021

July 3, 1953 the British Mount Everest expedition returned to Great Britain bringing Nepali-Indian sherpa/mountaineer Tenzing Norgay to Albion.
    From left to right: John Hunt, Tenzing Norgay and Edmund Hillary.
    Note Tenzing wore two wristwatches, an interesting reading about this:
    Tenzing's Two Wrist-Watches: The Conquest of Everest and Late Imperial Culture in Britain 1921-1953
    (Oxford University Press - by Gordon T. Stewart )
    1953_July03_London.jpg

Doc Savage and Omegafanman like this.
  15. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Aug 30, 2021

Very curious but looking forward to 70th & 75th anniversary publications on the 1953 expedition... and possible Rolex watches ? ⁠
    TENZING.jpg
    Everest_Rolex_RGS.jpg

Omegafanman likes this.
  16. Dms5150 Apr 14, 2022

There's really no debate about it..Hillary himself said he wore the Smiths to the top and delivered the watch in person to the Clockmakers Museum where it is on display to this day. By contrast, he took the Rolex back home to NZ, and some months later sent it back through the regular postal service to Rolex. In Rolex's own advertising they only ever explicitly claimed Hillary wore it to 22,000 ft.

Yet, we still see Hodinkee articles like "Found The Rolex Sir Edmund Hillary Wore To The Peak Of Mount Everest!" without any actual journalism to find out what happened, or ackowledging the Smiths watch has been in the museum this entire time.

There really is no debate about it, but to settle things Outdoor Journal did some fantastic major research into Rolex vs Smiths and found Rolex themselves actually coincided the summit some months after. It's why they've been so careful in their wording ever since. Definitely worth a read:

https://www.outdoorjournal.com/feat...verest-in-1953-putting-a-controversy-to-rest/

17. sxl2004 Apr 14, 2022

Well we all know that Rolex was first to Everest. First in space and first on the moon. Soon to be first on Mars etc.
    :D

watchyouwant and Doc Savage like this.
  18. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Apr 15, 2022

For those interested in the British Himalayan expeditions, next year 2023 will see a few interesting anniversaries.
    1933 = First flight over Mt Everest - Chomolungma during which the mountain top was filmed and photographed
    1953 = First ascent of world's highest mountain
    October 2022 onwards, the RGS - Royal Geographical Society in London will host an exhibition "Eyes on Everest" capturing the first expeditions.
    The RGS and Alpine club were instrumental in setting up the first European-organised expeditions as the Mt Everest Committee was formed in late 2021, combining cartographic, geographical and scientific interests with mountaineering expertise.
    Rolex had been sponsoring these expeditions since 1933 and had already registered the Swiss patent for the " Explorer " on 26 JAN 1953.
    Even today, holding these wrist watches, both Smiths and Rolex are great time pieces from a time when 33 to 36 mm sized cases were considered true men's watches and I have to say "Kudos to Rolex" to bring back the 36 mm Explorer ;)
    1953_HillaryHuntNorgay_RGS.jpg

Revo, Doc Savage and sxl2004 like this.
  19. Revo Apr 16, 2022

Given that Rolex sponsor the RGS' picture library we can expect no mention of Smiths but lots of carefully-worded attempts to imply that Rolex summited in '53.

watchyouwant and ErichPryde like this.
  20. Revo Apr 16, 2022

@pitpro has gone strangely quiet on this thread. Hey ho.

iamvr likes this.