Forums Latest Members
  1. Tri-national-man Mar 7, 2016

Hi members, can an expert chime in and tell me a bit about this Omega I've just purchased, its complete with box certificate and purchase receipt for £88 dated 1961! It has a cal. 501.

IMG_7874.jpg IMG_7867.jpg IMG_7866.jpg
  2. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Mar 7, 2016

3. ConElPueblo Mar 7, 2016

TRI1.PNG

TRI2.PNG

Nice tri... ;)

I think the BIN is a bit optimistic, partly due to the Dennison case, partly due to the sligthly worn case.

kenmedk, fibonacci086 and Foo2rama like this.
  4. alam Mar 7, 2016

:cautious:

ihate.PNG
    Foo2rama likes this.
  5. Tom Dick and Harry Mar 7, 2016

Nice watch you've purchased/ are selling but I don't see £2000 in it as other members have said, as mentioned it is a Dennison 18K Seamaster, as a guide I sold an identical version in SS with original box and papers here for £375 so I guess yours in 18K is probably double the value of the SS (although personally I would add a nicer band and also a better crown and might consider a refinish)

6. Tri-national-man Mar 8, 2016

Wow if you can find me another 18K Seamaster with box and papers and receipt for £750 please let me know!

7. cristos71 Mar 8, 2016

I find this post a little insulting to our collective intelligence, you begin by asking the `experts` for help about a watch `just purchased` as though you are a new collector not sure of what he has. When actually you are an experienced Ebay seller with over 8 years and 600 Ebay transactions with knowledge enough trying to create traffic to your own Ebay sales listing :confused: :rolleyes: :cautious:

Willem023 likes this.
  8. Tri-national-man Mar 8, 2016

I had no intention in advertising the fact that this watch is for sale..Do you see any evidence of this in my original post?? Thanks to someone above...
    I am firstly a watch enthusiast and yes I do buy and sell..Don't a lot of members here do that? I try and get as much info about a watch so that I can accurately describe it on my sales pitch. I must say that the Rolex forum is much friendlier about giving info on vintage watches there.
    I might remove myself from this forum..Most of my queries here result in unfriendly answers..Thanks for that

9. Gordon Heavyfoot Mar 8, 2016

Douchebag.

10. Tri-national-man Mar 8, 2016

??????????????????????????

11. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Mar 8, 2016

I think some here may have got a bee up their nose after seeing the watch for sale at the same time you were asking questions about "this Omega I've just purchased".

It may have been more prudent to let members know you had advertised the watch and would like help in providing more information for prospective buyers.

I also think it's also bad form to remove snide comments from your post, they may be gone now but the memory lingers on.

As to comments about another forum being freer with information, I've had no problem at all in openly seeking information and being grateful for the advice and education I've had the benefit of.

Enough lecturing, I'm off for a Guinnesssssssss!

12. cristos71 Mar 8, 2016

Say what you will, but it is not normally coincidence when an experienced Ebay seller comes here looking for advice on their undisclosed Ebay listing now is it?

13. ConElPueblo Mar 8, 2016

I had actually just seen your post on eBay before opening the thread here. What strikes me is that you for some reason do not disclose that you are selling the watch and that you, apparently, have decided it to have a value in the region of £1.8K.

Now, the watch itself is a pretty standard model - a cal. 501 Seamaster, but in solid gold. It's not in an outstanding condition and the case is a Dennison, which, while well made and all that, isn't as highly valued as the Omega-produced variant.

The case and papers, IMO, only have a limited value. I realise this is different from vintage Rolex', but it would only be of extra value to me, if the rest of the package was very desirable to begin with. The market in general might very well feel different, but that's their call :)

EDIT: Wanted to add - I really like your watch! I think it looks great and that you'll get a bunch of offers on it. I'd be proud to wear it!

http://www.bruun-rasmussen.dk/sold-items.do?pg=2&t=c&iid=300816933&cid=37659&lang=en&mode=detail

This one just sold for about £1400 incl. of salaries and:

1) was in far, far better condition
    2) has a more sought after movement
    3) is an Omega-built case.

It does not have box or papers, but as stated, I do not (yet!) place much value on those. The market may change, however.

Well, according to your eBay advert, you're a business seller. Move a lot of stock? Or what is the benefit versus being a private seller?
    I had a look through your back catalogue of posts and must say that if you consider the replies you've had to be unfriendly, it's time to pack your things and go. You have way too thin skin for this place.

14. Tom Dick and Harry Mar 8, 2016

No intention of criticism from me, just trying to be helpful in terms of your watch, it may go north of £1000 but I would be surprised if it realises £2000, which is more immaculate pie pan in 18k money.

Hope this helps

15. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 8, 2016

Queries are typically helpfully answered, amateur dealers too lazy to do their own homework are a bit of a different story. If you'd been up front people probably still would have helped you its just the whole not telling the truth thing that gets people annoyed when you insult their intelligence.

16. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Mar 8, 2016

BTW, my comment is to buy yourself a good case knife and wrench and learn how to use them. Or go see a watchmaker armed with your camera.

It's a lot easier for us to help when you meet us halfway by showing us the inside of the case and movement.

GLWS,
    gatorcpa

17. Tri-national-man Mar 8, 2016

On some watch sites its against policy to plug what you are selling, this is why I hadn't mentioned that it was for sale. Although I have "business seller" status on ebay, its because you pay a fraction of the cost of seller fees than "private seller", that's the only reason. Whenever I buy a watch to sell, I do as much research as I can using my small library of watch books, magazines, google image, watch forums etc etc. I didn't realise I would be getting peoples'back up by asking questions about a watch whilst it is for sale..
    I'll be more careful in the future, especially on this site, as there seems to be some touchy people about. I want to be a discerning watch seller on ebay and I think the honesty of the watch I have currently for sale is a testament to that fact.
    Shaun

18. Tri-national-man Mar 8, 2016

Here is a pic of the beautiful cal. 501

19. Tri-national-man Mar 8, 2016

Here is a pic of the beautiful cal. 501

20. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Mar 8, 2016

Your pictures don't seem to be showing up.

If you can't upload into the thread, a web link will work also.
    gatorcpa