Forums Latest Members

What other watches are you into?

1. ulackfocus Aug 2, 2011

Other than Omega and Rolex, what other brands or types of watches do the members here collect? Are you into vintage, modern, or a mix of both?

2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 2, 2011

Mix of both, wearing a 1941 manual wind Cyma at the moment, later today changing to a 1977 Seiko Digital. Hard to really call a digital watch vintage, but my Seiko's from the first 5 years of digital watches are among the only Quartz pieces I have any time for.

3. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 2, 2011

Incidentally, the reason I like vintage, anyone with money can buy a new watch, it takes no skill, no knowledge, and no taste, you just go into a jeweller and tell them how much you want to spend.

Vintage classics like pie-pan constellations, Cal 321 Speedmasters, 1680/5513/5512/1675 Rolex Oysters, first generation digitals, and oddities like Flightmasters, PloProfs, OysterQuartzes, etc takes effort, and shows far more character than just buying a TT Datejust and being done with it.

4. ulackfocus Aug 3, 2011

Are we related? I've said the same thing with only slightly different wording on a few forums, except I said "anyone with a high enough limit on their credit card".

Back on topic - There are almost as many Longines as Omegas in my collection. 3 each of IWC and JLC currently, with additions certainly coming. Just recently got into vintage ultra-thins but instead of starting at the bottom and working my way up I went right for the throat by grabbing a Piaget caliber 9P last year and an AP caliber 2120 in early spring this year. Having a few years experience allowed me to identify the exact calibers I wanted instead of randomly buying on eBay.

5. Steve Aug 3, 2011

I'm mostly an Omega fan, but I do own a TAG Heuer S/EL West McLaren Mercedes 98 Limited Edition, and a Casio G-Shock Aviation Orange GW3000M-4A.
    There are many watches i'd love to add to my collection top of my list is a Rolex Submariner 116610LN.

6. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 3, 2011

Well Rolex make something called the masterpiece collection specifically for people that lack taste but have credit ;) Its kind of sad but I think AP is heading that way with the Royal Oak Offshore, when a watch has Shaq's numbers on the dial, or has a logo from the movie "Terminator 3" on the caseback and comes with a movie DVD, can it still be considered a piece of horological art? In 40 years will an Auctioneer be holding up a T3 ROO saying "And the original DVD is included, shall we start the bidding at 400,000?"

7. ulackfocus Aug 3, 2011

Dude, now I know we're from the same genes somehow. I stopped doing press releases because of the AP "Montauk Highway LE". They've gone past overboard and into ridiculous with the ROO models.

8. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 3, 2011

They named a $25k watch after a highway? I had to look that up just to check, it even has a terrible colour scheme to go with it, light blue, brown and beige...

But I think I can beat that... how about a $17,500 Panerai "Beverly Hills" limited edition, released to celebrate the place where you bought your watch. This is LIMITED to 300 pieces, so you're going to have to get in quick. Once they're gone, they may have to release a "Shady Las Vegas Pawn Shop" limited edition, to celebrate the store where most of these will eventually end up...

PAM_417_bk_lg.jpg

Matty01 and Trev like this.
  9. Anchorman Aug 3, 2011

I have a Breitling, a few Citizen watches, a Seiko, and several Bernhardt watches in addition to the Omega. I like a mix of both, but I like vintage because they have character. I am currently eyeballing another vintage Constellation (I was told I'll get an offer that "I can't refuse") and a Harman wind-up watch with a stopwatch feature.

10. ulackfocus Aug 3, 2011

That would be hard to believe if it was a model other than a ROO - or maybe a Big Bang. Here's the release:

http://www.watchtalkforums.info/forums/general-discussion-forum/26103.htm

...and here's an even more disgusting LE Hublot for good measure:

[​IMG]

To be honest, that wasn't the final straw. This hideous abomination was:

http://www.watchtalkforums.info/forums/general-discussion-forum/44518.htm

The forum owner had to do that one because I couldn't look at those things without becoming violently ill.

Funny! Although it doesn't top the pink or purple MB&F felonies against taste. IMO they even beat the Leopard Daytona.

[​IMG]

Wait, what were we talking about?

I just hijacked my own thread. :p:confused:

11. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 3, 2011

Citizen and Seiko have a very special place in watch collecting in my opinion, a Seiko auto diver whether a vintage 150M or a modern Monster is a cool piece, and while Rolex has made pointless Yacht-Master I and Yacht-Master II pieces supposedly for the sailing community as has Omega with their Regatta models, a Citizen timepiece is still a staple among competitive sailors.

Real sailors wear may wear Submariners, Seamaster Pros, and the like on the water but almost all will own a Citizen Eco-Drive and trust it as much if not more than its Swiss competitors.

12. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 3, 2011

Now you say that, but that owl is my sister's favorite watch, it had a full page feature in a recent issue of Watchtime magazine, and she has that page saved in her bedroom in case she marries a Moroccan prince. She also says the Leopard is the only pretty Rolex they make.

But then she has just painted her bedroom pink with pin stripes.

Ladies watches are another thing entirely because they can be completely stupid looking to the average bloke, and some girl will see it and yell "Squee!"

Men's Limited Editions are not meant to be cute, or fabulous, they're mean to be bad-ass, so when they miss the mark its another story altogether lol

13. Steve Aug 7, 2011

Money doesn't buy class !!.

14. Steve Aug 12, 2011

Here's a nice watch that i thought you guys would like..MB&F ''Flying Panda''.....Enjoy.....
    mb&f flying panda.jpg

Trev likes this.
  15. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 12, 2011

I've never seen a "driver's watch" that wasn't terrible. Honestly, you wear that, you're only going to look like a colossal spanner, and even worse, when some attractive girl asks you about it, you have to tell her "the dial is angled so that I can read the time accurately without removing my hand from the steering wheel while driving my car". She will then make a mental note to avoid eye contact in the future.

Matty01 likes this.
  16. Steve Aug 12, 2011

I expect the girl wouldn't even talk to you in the first place, due to the fact that you'd have one trouser leg rolled up, and a flower pot on your head !!..:p

17. Trev The Architect Staff Member Aug 12, 2011

Whoa... would you believe I just noticed the panda right now? That's the third time I've seen this photo. I must have it.

18. Steve Aug 12, 2011

Maybe you could start a forum on MB&F watches ??.. i think most of the members would live in outer space !.:D

19. ulackfocus Aug 13, 2011

Did the press release for that too - here's MB&F company owner Max wearing it:

[​IMG]

20. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 13, 2011

I appreciate his devotion and his desire to do something different in horology, there's no doubt its unique, I just think its too unique, and too out there to be worth doing. The absolute edge I think is Richard Mille, any further or more extreme than that and you're not passing the laugh test.