Forums Latest Members

What movement is in this Planet Ocean

1. Mindoreno Oct 19, 2017

I just bought a Seamaster Planet Ocean 42mm and the serial number is 81108392. I read somewhere that it is a Cal 2500 C. Is t is correct? What else can you tell me about this watch? Many thanks.

po.JPG
    simon.pearl likes this.
  2. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Oct 19, 2017

2500 of some flavor.

3. jakeh417 Oct 19, 2017

Your local Omega AD or Boutique should be able to tell you exactly what version base on the serial number.

4. Mindoreno Oct 20, 2017

Thanks for all your replies. I have emailed Omega since and am just waiting for the reply. Thanks again.

5. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 20, 2017

So here is what is likely going to happen. Someone from Omega who really has no idea what they are doing is going to look up your serial number, and will probably come back telling you it's a D version - but that's because they don't know how to read the information on the Extranet properly. This has been a problem since the last software upgrade that Omega did maybe 18 months ago or so. I've seen other threads where people have emailed or called, and been told that it's a D version when no such detail is on the Extranet.

The 2500D movement is listed there, but that was the last movement used in the model, and the fact it's listed does not specifically indicate what is in your watch, but that's often how people who are tasked with answering emails look at it - they are asked to give an answer so they give you an answer and they have done their job, even if it's the wrong answer.

Here is what the Extranet says about your specific serial number:

Serial number: 81108392
    Article ref: 29015081
    Version of movement: 2500

You will note that no version of the movement is listed other than 2500. So when they come back and tell you it's a D version, please understand that they don't actually know that it is a D version - they just see another section of the page that says 2500D and give you that answer.

The real answer is that the only way to know for sure is to open the watch and read the version that is actually stamped on the movement.

Cheers, Al

6. mgcurry Oct 20, 2017

Does the date wheel font Tell like it does on the SMP?

7. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 20, 2017

Differing fonts are not a guarantee, since I have been asked several times by people (who I all turned down by the way) to swap the date indicator wheel from a 2500D into their 2500C's to make it look like a 2500D when it wasn't.

8. mgcurry Oct 20, 2017

Ok that would be cheesy my SMP is a D (original purchaser) my PO I picked up second hand is a C it eventually had the stopping issue but it was due a Ω Service which II am sure they dealt with the service bulletin so I am not concerned about it

9. Mindoreno Oct 20, 2017

I just got a reply from Omega and they just said that it is a 2500 movement but no mention of A,B,C or D. Checking the font, the number "4" has a flat top ( C model ) and not the pointed top ( D model ) as what the forum says. Also the serial number being lower than 8525 means it is a "C" model. The red seal on mine is still there so chances are that it has never been opened and the date wheel tampered. This watch would date to around 2005 tp 2006 I figure. My question then is should I get it serviced. It is running 20 seconds slow in a day. Thanks.

10. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 20, 2017

Good - at least they are not misleading people anymore.

Just as an aside, the "red seal" is just model paint, so anyone could reapply that after opening the case - it's not really a guarantee of anything, which is why Omega stopped applying it a couple of years ago.

Yes. Get it serviced...

11. Mindoreno Oct 20, 2017

Thanks Archer and to everyone as well. Great forum.