Forums Latest Members

What modern Omega watches have increased in value?

1. N1CK Oct 17, 2017

Hi all,

Have a question for you, my learned friends.

Much is often made, and derided, about the concept of watches as an investment. Personally while I like a healthy bank balance as much as the next man I subscribe to the view that a watch is for fun and to wear, the money is spent, and anything you'd get back if ever you sold it is simply a bonus.

But hey that's just me, and know plenty of others have a different approach and do see watches as an investment. The amount of flipping going on with the ST is a good case in point.

Naturally, I'm aware of the ST, for now at least (full disclosure: I'm one of those still patiently waiting for theirs), as well as the Silver Snoopy LE and I believe the Soyuz meteorite Speedy (albeit I think that one only recently has returned above RRP).

I had thought the Spectre LE Seamaster had also increased in value, but I just spotted one in an OB for list value, so I guess it hasn't (was this that prompted me to wonder).

What else is out there that's gone up in value?

watch3s likes this.
  2. abrod520 Oct 17, 2017

Well we'll first have to define "modern" here, but some limited-edition Speedmasters from 2004-05 have gained value as have a few of the more recent ones. The Apollo XI 35th, 2004 Japan Racing, and Gemini IV all trade at high levels currently.

gemini4 and Taddyangle like this.
  3. BenBagbag Oct 17, 2017

Fun thread!

A question to throw into the mix here is what watches are toying with going above retail? And what watches are dealers waiting to drop the second they can make even the slightest profit or just break even? I think the Tin-Tin may be in this territory right now. I'm certainly no expert though...

4. khanmu Oct 17, 2017

Agreed - my Apollo 11 35th and Gemini have gone up substantially in value, my Apollo 17 40th is probably less than the retail I paid (but you love all your children, even the ugly ones).

I would love a Snoopy but it's out of my reach now.. the Alaska Project LE also seems to have hugely shot up in price recently on Chrono 24 - but maybe that's just over ambitious dealers... The Apollo Soyuz meteorite is on my list (I passed up on one last year for £5k, they now seem around £7k). I also like the Apollo 11 45th.

Of course I'm saving up for the Omega Apollo 11 60th, as long as it's wearable and tasteful....

gemini4 and Pikeman like this.
  5. sgrossma Oct 17, 2017

I think even though we see a lot of STs getting flipped, it is still a very small percentage of the total sold (~5%-7%) and I think once these are gone, they are gone, and getting them anywhere in the $8k range will be a thing of the past.

I'm big on the stainless semi-modern limited editions...

As mentioned previously Apollo 35th panda, Gemini Space Walk, Japan Racing, Alaska, Apollo 45th, Snoopy Award, Silver Snoopy, and Albino are super popular and all well above retail...and rising. Who knows what the ceiling will be... for some they currently stand at 9-10K USD, but others, like Silver Snoopy keep risking and are at the $16-17K (nearly 3x retail) already...

In the last year alone, we have seen almost all of the above increase in value 50-100%

speedy_tc, Kmart, Japenney and 3 others like this.
  6. N1CK Oct 17, 2017

Many thanks folks. I suppose the Mitsukoshi could be added to the list?

Anything out there in the past day 20 years that's gone up in value and that's not a Speedmaster Professional LE?

Travelhomedad likes this.
  7. gostang9 Oct 17, 2017

If I am Omega (Swatch Group), I'd say retail on new Speedmasters with slight dial/case variance have shot up a lot in the last few years and the demand is strong... Whatever they're doing with LE Speedy's seems to be working from their perspective (aside from maybe the xSOTM line...?).

8. padders Oooo subtitles! Oct 17, 2017

Well maybe it depends on your native currency but speaking as a UK dweller, the steep rise in list prices means that even run of the mill models are worth more today used than they cost new 10-15 years ago even after inflation is considered. There are several examples, a good 2254 or 2531 Bond now fetches around £1,500-1,700 inc box and docs but these models were only £1,100 new back in 2003-4. Likewise the basic Moonwatch, a decent used one now fetches circa £2200 but would have been only £1,500 to buy new back then. Many Dynamic gen III were sold off cheap for around £250 at the turn of the millenium as they weren't a huge success but now routinely fetch ~£750. More recently, the A-T Railmaster from circa 2005-2010 is now a £2,300-2,500 watch, rather more than new.

In short, thanks to the epic price rises even 'normal' models have kept pace with inflation or better.

Edited Oct 18, 2017
  9. sgrossma Oct 17, 2017

the xSOTM line is not limited production. They sold for close to retail when the first came out... for a while. Now the supply is higher than the demand and they are nearly half-off pre-owned.

10. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Oct 17, 2017

Sales price in 2006 was $2720 USD for this space walk watch. I'm also thinking this was discounted and MSRP was $3000. Don't know for sure.

I'm not sure how much it increased and decreased on the used market over the last 10-11 years. But I'm thinking resale price was pretty flat up to about three years ago.

I just buy the watches I like to wear. Took me a fair amount of time to figure out what I like so I flipped my share of watches. I guestimate that I'm even considering the watches I have bought and sold.

IMG_20170116_210302.jpg

Jimbo555, Cacam, shek_n_bake and 5 others like this.
  11. gostang9 Oct 17, 2017

Yes, you are right and I am aware that xSOTM are not LE’s. Thank you for pointing out a badly worded comment from my side. I was thinking that retail prices are very strong accompanied by high demand for recent Speedy editions. LE’s in particular seem to have very high demand while xSOTM maybe not so high (if resale prices are an indication). I consider the xSOTM series recent ‘editions’ of Speedy’s, even though they are clearly not “limited”.

I wonder if in retrospect Omega might wish they had released them in ‘limited runs’ so as to generate higher interest during the height of their initial popularity?

— Note: I find them very attractive, and would be happy to wear several of them, but not anywhere near their retail price-point...

Brevity is not my strong-point yet I know it is needed on posts, I also post most entries from my mobile, and the combination leads to poorly worded comments at times.

12. demchocholips Oct 17, 2017

60th Anniversary Speedmaster is currently trading significantly higher than MSRP. Prices could come down a bit as more watches are delivered, but the desirability of the piece should keep it valued at a premium.

djmusicman and Rasputin like this.
  13. hchj Oct 17, 2017

By and large, only the speedmaster pros powered by manual movement, be it LE or not, can retain/appreciate in value.

14. omegadave Oct 17, 2017

My basic Tintin I bought last year (below retail) seems to be trading about 1k higher at this point.

Curious how the ST and 60th will trade at this time next year.

McJamesT and Speedygi like this.
  15. Lexm Oct 19, 2017

I am waiting for my albino to arrive. (Italian Limited edition of 500 pieces)
    Has also gone up significanty the last years. Got mine below 10k but have seen them on offer for 15k and being sold for close to that amount.

image.png
    Travelhomedad, sensui, Tet and 3 others like this.
  16. Speedygi Oct 19, 2017

Beautiful Italian style watch!!

17. Furze Oct 21, 2017

OMG, just did a search for Alaska Project on Chrono24, cheapest is £12,500.

Omega Alaska 010.jpg

18. Mr Blond Oct 21, 2017

I’ve seen two Alaska on eBay recently for £7500

19. Furze Oct 21, 2017

Just searched Ebay UK and only the £12,500 one shows, Chrono24 prices tend to be over-inflated, but I suspect owners/dealers have decided not to sell, so that of a limited run of 1970 units, only a handful are for sale, this may have pushed these prices up!

20. gvids Oct 21, 2017

One modern Omega that seems very rare in the second-hand world is the Blue Skyfall Aqua Terra 8500...I was infatuated for this one for a while, and it is incredibly hard to come across! Wouldnt be surprised if the price for that one will be climbing...

Theognosis and BostonCanuck like this.