What Makes The Omega Speedmaster Calibre 321 So Special?

So which movement was used on Apollo13?

I think I read somewhere that the later missions used the 861.

The moonwatch only book came out when I was in Hibernation (But I did flip through it when waiting for the plane in Zurich.) I think that re-kindled my interest in the watches. Too bad they did not sell it or the seamaster book in the airport shop.

Perhaps I will name my new St Bernard toy Snoopy the second. IMG_1963.png

-j

I think I read somewhere that the later missions used the 861.

One was used to take part in an experiment and it orbited the moon.
I think it was the Apollo 17 mission.
I think you'll find that there have been loads of 861's and 1861's that have logged many more hours in space since Apollo👍
Also Apollo 13 used 321's

Absolutely love the new 321, size, heritage, most everything except I just can't afford one. Kinda wish they'd have skipped the faux patina. One would think that with all the tweaking and double assembly, they might have been able to achieve COSC chronometer certification for what they're charging. I'm happy with my 3861 Sapphire Sandwich, it's not a 321 but it shares some of it's DNA.

One was used to take part in an experiment and it orbited the moon.
I think it was the Apollo 17 mission.
I think you'll find that there have been loads of 861's and 1861's that have logged many more hours in space since Apollo👍
Also Apollo 13 used 321's
More importantly, was it a 861 or 321 that timed the 14 second burn?

Absolutely love the new 321, size, heritage, most everything except I just can't afford one. Kinda wish they'd have skipped the faux patina. One would think that with all the tweaking and double assembly, they might have been able to achieve COSC chronometer certification for what they're charging. I'm happy with my 3861 Sapphire Sandwich, it's not a 321 but it shares some of it's DNA.
The original 321 was not COSC rated, nor tested for that. I don't think a COSC rating would add anything to the equation, that's not what this watch is about. The lume color is so slight that it isn't an issue.

More importantly, was it a 861 or 321 that timed the 14 second burn?

Lovell's Speedmaster with the 321 movement times the 14 second burn.

Here is a link to a great podcast 13 Minutes to the Moon - Earth in View hosted by Kevin Fong a former member of the NASA medical research group, and now a practicing British doctor, that gives a riveting narration of the Apollo 13 14 second engine burn.

In this episode the focus is on the 14 second burn and how Jim Lovell's wrist watch was used to time it. When I first listed to it I was confused by the fact that Fong says Lovell's watch was used for the burn. I assumed since Swigert timed it, it was his watch used. I reached out to Kevin and asked him for more information and he told me that Lovell told him that of the all the Speedmasters the crew had his was the most recently serviced, and because of that, he believed his would be the most accurate watch to use for the burn. Lovell removes his watch and gives it to Swigert to time the burn with.

It is also interesting to hear Fred Haise describe how smoothly the burn and control of the LM was while keeping the Sun and Earth's terminator aligned in the window. It runs contrary to the portrayal in the Apollo 13 movie that depicts the maneuver as a wild ride with the LM rolling and rocking almost out of control.

The narration combined with the onboard audio is really fantastic. I would encourage you to listen to the whole 32 minute episode, but if you don't have the time or interest, the first 10 minutes will lay out the story of the Speedmaster and the burn.

The whole BBC World Service - 13 Minutes to the Moon series is fantastic as well if you have the time or inclination to listen to it.

Edit - As a side note, Lovell's Apollo 13 watch is not part of the current NASM collection. It was stolen while on loan about 20 years ago.

There’s no faux patina on the Ed White reissue. The “egg shell color” markers were meant to mimic the color of Tritium that would’ve appeared on factory new Speedmaster dials in the 60s

There’s no faux patina on the Ed White reissue. The “egg shell color” markers were meant to mimic the color of Tritium that would’ve appeared on factory new Speedmaster dials in the 60s
I agree, this "faux patina" bs talk is a bit annoying already..