Forums Latest Members

What makes a Seller a Good Seller?

1. barmy Dec 30, 2016

As a first time seller I want to develop a reputation as a "Good Seller".

So what makes a Seller a "Good Seller"?

I know price and product makes up a hefty part of this. But it's the communication side I'm interested in.

Replying as quick as possible.
    Trying to be as clear and concise in the response as possible.

What else?

Jwit likes this.
  2. Edward53 Dec 30, 2016

Full and accurate description, plenty of good close-up photos, fair terms which are stated clearly in plain and simple language. That about covers it for me.

3. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Dec 30, 2016

Be prepared for low ballers, scammers and tyre kickers.

Honest description, and don't hide flaws.

Not always easy to reply quickly or be clear as time zones and language barriers exist.

Have had some head f*cks trying to bank transfer to banks around the world over the years so get ready for it ( different swift , BIC codes to Aussie banks BSB numbers ) can take a bit of back and forth.

4. Davidt Dec 30, 2016

It's easy to be a good seller when things are going well and sales/deliveries are straightforward. IMO you only find the genuinely good sellers, when there's an issue that needs resolving.

5. RegF Dec 30, 2016

I guess I can add to what is above by mentioning that its important that the other guy is likely just as nervous about sending you money as you are about sending a watch.

Bear that in mind, be patient and do what makes the two parties comfortable to build a rapport and trust.

Good luck!

Atalien2005 likes this.
  6. Andy K Dreaming about winning an OFfie one day. Dec 30, 2016

My advice is not to "oversell" in the FS post. It rarely happens here, but on other forums [cough cough, WUS, cough] you often see people write pages and pages of how they rarely sell, they treat their watches more carefully than the rest of us, their watch is beyond mint, you'll never find a better example, they are not too motivated to sell, and thus their (way too high) price is firm. Then they threaten to withdraw their sale if they don't get a sale as if the rest of us are missing some golden opportunity.

Just be honest about condition, take good clear photos, set a fair price based on comps, and be upfront about payment shipping and returns.

7. ulackfocus Dec 30, 2016

Under promise and over deliver. What I mean is shoot photos that make it easy to see any defect. Most times, macro photography accentuates flaws, and they aren't seen by the naked eye.

Answer questions promptly. Even if it's to tell that n00b (who's on his 26th question) that the watch has been sold to somebody who knew a good thing when they spotted it and didn't waste time.

8. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Dec 30, 2016

Good communication

I just purchased a watch from an eBay seller from Japan and loved the fact he contacted me at each step. Told me he had recieved payment and would be shipping later that day. Then another email with the shipping confirmation. Basically just reinforcing trustworthyness. It would be very easy to just create cut and paste emails and personalize each one quickly so it looks hand written each time.

Selling via eBay does not require this much communication but as a buyer it gives me a lot more faith in my purchase.

GuiltyBoomerang likes this.
  9. TTG Suffers from watch FOMO. Dec 30, 2016

There are contrasting charts that show the proper intersection of supply and demand, taking price offering, selling, and profit margins. So that is depicted in the first chart below. The second chart shows that the rest is human based with interpersonal interaction and common sense, the latter being difficult to attend with others that lack it but all should fall right into place f.gif f.png ...

10. jimmyd13 Dec 30, 2016

Set everything out in the description that you would want to know yourself. This includes the references and such that a more experienced buyer would know but you shouldn't forget the simple things like case or bracelet sizes. Also, point out the weak points - detail any marks or scratches. Set everything out exactly as it is so that you can justify the price. If you don't mention that replacement crown, someone will see it and use it as an excuse to knock you down.

After that, it's all about communication. Answer everyone politely, even the scammers. If you're selling through eBay, I always post the questions - once three people have asked if you will offer a "buy it now" price and you refuse, but welcome them to place a bid, the scammers do seem to stop. I think my favourite was the one asking to buy the watch for her brother who was doing "missionary work in Nigeria" ... the perfect place to wear a Corum Bubble.

Once a sale is agreed, don't stop with the communication. Buyers need to feel comfortable with you all the time so send them that tracking information before they ask for it. Explain any return policy you want to operate. Give them the story behind whatever it is you've just sold them (if you didn't already in the ad).

kkt likes this.
  11. watchdaddy1 Dec 30, 2016

1.) Pitch the Product

2.) Communicate with the Customer

3.) Go the Extra Mile

4.) Package the product with care.

5.) Follow up

GuiltyBoomerang and Foo2rama like this.
  12. ulackfocus Dec 30, 2016

Hahaha! NOBODY tops me in that department. ;)

13. watchdaddy1 Dec 30, 2016

dirty minded squirrel [emoji12]

Sent from Galaxy S6 Edge via Tapacrap

ulackfocus likes this.
  14. ulackfocus Dec 30, 2016

Not what I meant, but funny nonetheless.

watchdaddy1 likes this.
  15. watchdaddy1 Dec 30, 2016

oops I'm the dirty minded 1[emoji33]

Sent from Galaxy S6 Edge via Tapacrap

16. MPWATCH Watch Lover Dec 30, 2016

Honesty, transparency, humble, lack of greed, and the ability to make a deal over make that $.

17. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Dec 30, 2016

On the other side, what makes a good buyer? Probably many of the same things.

Davidt likes this.
  18. ulackfocus Dec 30, 2016

Lotsa cash and few questions. ;)

Jwit and oddboy like this.
  19. rightrower Dec 30, 2016

+1

Throw in. No return.

Sent from my C6833 using Tapatalk

oddboy likes this.
  20. kkt Dec 30, 2016

Good pictures have been mentioned already but should be emphasized more. As a buyer, if I just see some out of focus postage stamp, I'm going to figure you've got a lot to hide, and move on to the next listing. All serious buyers are going to want to see them, don't make them ask and then wait for you to borrow your brother-in-law's decent camera next week.

Davidt likes this.