Forums Latest Members

What looks wrong with this Constellation Calendar dial to you?

1. scotty Feb 26, 2014

2. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Feb 26, 2014

Dial looks ok but the condition is terrible with those scatches. Poor dial :(

3. Dablitzer Feb 26, 2014

The case looks a little worn, dial is a bit scratched. Would be nicer if it had the reflective outer dial portion too..:unsure:

4. Pete568 Feb 26, 2014

Seems to be a gap between the dial and inner case between the 11 and 2 hour markers.....

5. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 26, 2014

The dial has shifted down towards 6 o'clock pretty significantly. You can see that the 10 in the date window is near the upper edge of the opening, and you can see the central hole in the dial is not centered on the hands.

Usually this happens with an impact, and sometimes if the hole in the dial binds on the hour wheel post, it can stop the watch. Also this sort of impact can result in other damage to the movement.

The best case scenario here is that the dial feet are just bent, and with the right technique the dial can be centered and hopefully the feet don't shear off in the process. Just did one yesterday and thought for sure the feet would break off, but they didn't. The greater the misalignment, the bigger the chance the feet will shear off...and this one is pretty bad.

If the dial feet are already sheared off, it's possible this dial was installed using dial dots (small dots of 2 sided tape) or worst case, it's been glued in place - happens more often than you would think...

Cheers, Al

6. scotty Feb 26, 2014

This implies a fairly serious impact then. That is probably why there are some major scratches on the dial, the short end of the hands impacted the dial I bet!

When I looked at this watch, the dial looked too small for the case. I don't think I've seen a watch with the dial that shifted before. Hard to believe he has it listed for $5,000!