Forums Latest Members

What Kind Of "watch Guy" Are You?

1. Spy You know my name. Jun 9, 2013

I have been a serious collector for over 14 years now. My admiration has expanded from just dive watches to grand complications to avant garde time pieces. Like most of us, no matter the forum, we have seen many. If I could own every watch I have layed eyes on, I would have to buy a Tourneau to keep them in.

But while I would enjoy very much owning and wearing a Breguet or Patek or Urwerk, I realize I am first a dive watch guy. Whether it be a Seamaster, a Submariner, or a Submersible, these watches appeal to me the most. My reasons are these:
    1. Most cost under 10k; making these more attainable.
    2. I love submarines. The fact is these watches are like miniature submarines and because they have to be waterproof >300m, fascinates me.
    3. They are resiliant. I could lay bricks in the morning, fight on a battlefield in the afternoon, and then have dinner at a 5 star restaurant at night and the watch will still look great and still tick.

What kind of watch guy are you?

2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 9, 2013

I still have my eye on a Royal Oak 15202 as my sort of ultimate sports watch, and a Patek 5396G as a dress watch. I'd have to sell a lot of my more affordable pieces though to fund it :(

3. Gavin It's the quiet ones you have to 'watch' out for. Jun 9, 2013

Love to get a 15202 myself. That will probably be the only AP I may own. But luckily for me, the bracelet does not agree with my wrist size.

4. ulackfocus Jun 9, 2013

Exactly the opposite. ::bleh::

While I'll always own one or two divers, it will usually be something like a Seiko used for a beach beater.

The jury is still out on complications. I like the idea of most, but find them useless in the real world. Most calendar windows or subdials are too small to be seen even when I stare at the dial let alone at a quick glance. Granted, that's an age related issue but reality has to enter into this habit some time and the fact is I own a watch that I can't use half the functions. ::shy:: :p A big date may be in my future. :coffee:

The watches I wear the most are two handed time only ultra-thin watches because I spend 40% of my week in, commuting to, or dressed for work where I wear slacks and a shirt & tie. While this is a hobby and a lot of fun, my watches also reflect that they're one of the few accessories a man can wear without his orientation being called into question.

Let's not talk about shoes, belts, ties, and sunglasses.

Man, you are ignoring some of the finest watches made. :eek:

5. Gavin It's the quiet ones you have to 'watch' out for. Jun 9, 2013

Take it as a bid from me to show me your ultra-thin AP again.;)

6. NT931 Jun 9, 2013

Amen to that :)

7. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Jun 10, 2013

I am newbie just 10 months in the game. Focusing on one brand only (OK...OK I got one Rolex, one Tag, and a Zodiac beater).

Two themes emerge so far: dressy watch theme which reflected well by 50, 60 and early 70 Constellation and Flight/Space theme which reflected well by......oh everybody of course know......Speedy pro.

I found many complication outside basic calendar and chronograph just not useful and worth it. I have moonphase watch, it is nice looking etc, but do I use the function.?......hell no. Probably the only sophisticated complication that I would consider is Minute Repeater. Unfortunately (or fortunately for my budget?....) Omega did not create one.

Embellishment or putting art on surface of the watch is another matter. I just love it. Guilloche, transparent caseback show beautiful movement, shiny artistic markers, unique surface dial, you name it.
    So my ultimate watch would be skeletonized Speedy pro in gold or platinum. I hope I could acquire it in the next 2-3 years.