Forums Latest Members

What is your track record with VALJOUX 77XX MOVEMENTS?

1. voere pawn brokers are all about $$$ May 5, 2017

Through the years I have owned fourteen chonographs that were Valjoux 77xx based movements. More than half of them either something was amiss or "broken".
    This Union running a 7753 movement is no exception as to my luck with Valjoux 77xx movements. Although this Union is the most accurate V77xx I have owned -1 second a day.Union did a great job with the regulation of the movement.

Day three of the new to me watch honeymoon phase. I grabbed the watch checked the time. I figured I would put a few winds on the movement. I turned the crown maybe three or four turns. Then noticed very loud clicking sound when I gave the crown another turn. The watch has a display case back I looked at the rotor no movement. I tried to start the chrono no luck.

My best guess is that the reversing wheel let go. I'm not a watchmaker it is just a guess on my part. Since the watch has to be torn down for the repair. I will have the watch serviced.

Repair wise what is your track record with Valjoux 77xx based movements?

012.JPG
    Edited May 5, 2017
  2. tyrantlizardrex May 5, 2017

That when they haven't been serviced, or that service history is unknown, you should factor in a service. ;)

It's been said a million times, there's no such thing as a cheap watch...

Larry S likes this.
  3. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' May 5, 2017

Yup, after returning from the 'handover at the spa' I must admit I was walking out of there like a cowboy who has spent too much time on the horse...

4. Davidt May 5, 2017

I've only had one V7730 in a Hamilton reverse panda. I had it serviced at the start and it ran like a charm. Kinda regret selling it.

tyrantlizardrex likes this.
  5. blufinz52 Hears dead people, not watch rotors. May 5, 2017

Sorry to hear about this. Hope it's something that can be fixed easily, inexpensively and permanently.

6. Vulffi May 5, 2017

I only have one, a V 7734, no large or small issues during my 30 years of ownership. It has been serviced 3-4 times during that period.

20170209_154713.jpg

7. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 5, 2017

I would say the 7750 series are the most reliable, accurate, and robust of all the movement I service. If I have a 7750 based watch sitting on my bench, it will be a good day typically...

isaac.owen.nz and voere like this.
  8. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member May 5, 2017

I had a 2225.80 Seamaster Pro Calibre 1164 (7750 based) and it was incredibly accurate, strong as hell and reliable not to mention very cost effective to service. Just about every time someone comes here asking about a cheaper alternative to the Speedmaster Pro and bring up the reduced they're directed to the Speedmaster Date and Speedmaster MK40 which are both 7750 derived as maintenance is so much less painful than with the reduced.

tyrantlizardrex likes this.
  9. M'Bob May 5, 2017

Going back in time again, but same heritage: do you also think highly of the Valjoux 72 movements, and how would you say they compare to the cal. 321?

10. Vulffi May 5, 2017

Or the Lemania 5100 ?

11. voere pawn brokers are all about $$$ May 6, 2017

I dropped the watch off at the watchmaker. I told him to fix the watch and service the watch. Since the watch has to be torn down for the repair I may as well have the watch serviced. I think the issue is the reversing wheel until the movement is opened up you never know what else may pose an issue

12. voere pawn brokers are all about $$$ May 6, 2017

I actually like valjoux 77xx movements. Repair wise I do not have much luck with them. However I am talking about a used watch with unknown service history. I always figure the cost of a service when I purchase a used watch. This Union is a fairly new watch I did not expect the watch to bite the bullet in three days. However I can live with that minor issue.