Forums Latest Members

What Is Your Priority In Collecting And Your Optimum Number And Mix Of Watch Portfolio?

1. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Nov 4, 2012

Dear all respectable members,

As a new watch (especially Omega) collector, I am in the stage of 'benefit concern'. What I mean is the trade off from various factors of benefit in collecting watch (enjoyment in looking and wearing, fun in maintaining, have new friends, artistically fulfilling, potential investment gain, deal/transaction rush, having story to tell and discuss etc) and its concern (budget limit, getting burned by fake, franken and overpriced, problems in maintaining, not enough wrist time, worry about safety, get scrutinized by wife:), possible investment loss, getting bored etc.)

So do you mind to share based on your experience: what are your top 2-3 factors in collecting watch and what are your top 2-3 factors that make you concern?

Also what would be the optimum number of watches in your collection before it is getting out of hand? What would be the ideal mix (e.g 20% modern Omega, 20% modern Rolex, 30% vintage omega, 30% others)?

I knew some people would collect hundreds of watches which may not suitable for me, because I would like mine to have sufficient wrist time.

Ok, so I will start with myself:
    Top factor for collecting watch:
    1. A new hobby that I really enjoy (last time was during Junior High, building Tamiya model kit)
    2. Fascinated by the mechanical, design, artistic value and history of the watch pieces
    3. Enjoyment when I wear it. ( I confess I can not restrain myself to peek to my wrist time to time) .

Top factor for concern:
    1. Budget, as newbie I try to balance on where should I fund my hobby without hitting other priority.
    2. Lack of wrist time ( so many interesting watches, so limited wrist time)
    3. Maintaining vintage watch (I haven't had a trusted servicemen)

Because of concern above I will limit my watch collection to 25 (is it too many? Now I am in ~ 18) with at least 80% in Omega. I would like to have 10 in modern watches (1995 and newer) and 15 in vintage watches. My plan, if the number are beyond that, then I will flip my least loved one (I know this is bad investment strategy).

Regards,

2. chiko7734 Nov 4, 2012

I like Omega and modern Rolex. My ideal collection would be 5 vintage omegas and one modern Rolex. For omegas I would like to have two solid gold, two stainless steel, one gold capped, three with waffle dials and at least three of them chronometers. To complete this goal I need one more watch that would be a gold capped waffle dial. My current collection is:
    18k 352 Seamaster Chronometer
    18k 30t2rg Chronometer
    SS Constellation Black Waffle Dial
    SS Jumbo Seamaster White waffle dial.

I would also like to have a submariner or get master to complete my watch collection.

3. ulackfocus Nov 4, 2012

The reasons I collect watches:
    1) They're easier to store and maintain than cars and satisfy the gear head chromosome.
    2) They have better resale than most other things you can collect.
    3) They're wearable accessories.

Plain & simple, this is a fun hobby for me. Met some cool people too.

The major concerns about watches and this hobby in general:
    1) The condition of the watches I target, particularly the dial.
    2) Losing focus and buying things I know I won't really wear.

A plan can be tough to adhere to. While there's nothing wrong with an impulse purchase here & there, it usually ends up getting flipped. Sometimes it even costs you a nice watch that was on the Most Wanted list because the funds weren't available. I try to set limits as far as number of watches I own, but end up going on a binge after paring down to near the target limit anyway.

4. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Nov 4, 2012

Very nice collection..........

5. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Nov 4, 2012

Agree with concern no 2. I know I should reduce my quantity target, while increasing the quality and condition of the collection.

6. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Nov 4, 2012

Quality v quantity.

At the moment I find it easier to buy two $600 watches than 1 $1200 watch. I find the idea of one expensive watch scary, could get it wrong, deal could go awry, eggs/basket etc. I don't get those worries when I buy 2 at $600. I know I need to change, as otherwise ill end up with a very large collection without the quality.

Maybe it is also because I think it will be easier to tell the wife ;)

7. Steve Nov 4, 2012

True, but personally I find buying vintage watches is just as scary and easy to get wrong as buying modern because of the redials, frankens etc.. plus the price of some of the quality Connies are the same if not more as most modern watches.
    Its a minefield out there. :cautious:

8. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 4, 2012

Interesting topic. I suppose my priorities are

(1) it must be wearable (which rules out most things under 38mm for me)
    (2) the aesthetics have to appeal to me (which pushes me towards late 60's/early 70's vintage & classic designs of any period)
    (3) it has to be a good example
    (4) and preferably a "high point" of the type (e.g. a Cal 565 1st gen Geneve Dynamic)
    (5) if it isn't within budget or a fair price it is a no go.

As for optimum number, if I get everything on my shortlist I'd end up with about 20 watches. Mostly they'd be Omegas with a couple of JLC's and a couple of other random watches I'll keep for sentimental reasons.

9. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Nov 4, 2012

At the moment I have 14 Omegas and some from other brands, so I've been trying to sell some in order to go after some gold Omega pieces. A lot of them were spontaneous purchases, so now I'm trying to refocus and pick out better examples. I'm still having a hard time letting any go though, I like all of them...:rolleyes: Also I occasionally buy a watch just to flip. :D

10. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 4, 2012

You just sold a gold piece. :p

11. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Nov 4, 2012

It'll fund another gold piece though...:)

12. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 4, 2012

This progress?:D

13. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Nov 4, 2012

I guess so, unless I make any impulse purchases. Which will probably happen. ::facepalm2::

14. Lex4TDI4Life Nov 5, 2012

I am very new to this realm and am still flailing around with my priorities. What drew me to watch collection, and Omega in particular, was the Speedmaster, a model which seems to get far less love around here than Seamasters and Connies :) At this point, I am under no illusion that I will be making a profit on my acquisitions initially. Maybe a few years down the line.... Fortunately, I found this forum before making my first purchases and haven't dropped dangerous amounts of cash.

Priority of Factors?

1. Aesthetics/cool factor :D
    2. Wearability
    3. Ease of research into authenticity, or newb-friendliness (for the moment)
    4. Potential future value.

Priority of Collection?
    1. Speedmasters
      1. Pre-Moon, cal 321
      2. 1975 Soyuz (birth year speedy)
      3. Any other .861
      4. Various modern speedies
    2. Other Omegas
      1. Railmaster
      2. Seamaster chronometers, black dial
      3. Seamaster early 120/300/600s
    3. Non-Omegas
      1. Longines Ultra-chrons
      2. Cartier tanks
      3. Panerai Radior (yeah, yeah, I know...)

Privateday7 likes this.
  15. ulackfocus Nov 5, 2012

Could have been worse - you could have said "Hublot Big Bang". :D

16. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Nov 5, 2012

Just found out that one of my collection has the same production year with my birth year (a Connie). Immediately triple the attachment factor to that particular watch ::love::.

17. Lex4TDI4Life Nov 5, 2012

Ha. At least my crime would only cost about $5k. Those Hublot's are thrice as expensive and 10x as much an abomination.

18. alam Nov 5, 2012

I dont have a plan, priorities nor goals. This is sort of a drive-by shooting sports to me :D.

I must like the watch, if it doesn't have the sexy lines to lift my skirt, I will not bother to see what's under the hood.

This is how the Vintage fever began about two years ago...which the wife says is "her" Omega Deville
    [​IMG]

Most recently, my trend has shifted towards the more dressy models and styles, watches with just a simple and clean dial design. Something like these...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Lately, the 12-3-6-9 dials are catching my attention more than any other dial style. Maybe the reason for this recent eBay acquisition.
    [​IMG]
    ..and the reason for trying to score one like this...hint, hint :D
    [​IMG]

Then, there are days I think I have too many Chronographs and tell myself "no more chronos", but a few days later, I find myself looking at others chronos as possibilities...maybe a Zenith is in the future? I'm sure many of you can relate to this feeling :whistling:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then there are the divers...I would go for for a vintage Omega SM300 or Rolex 5513, but for now they are taking the back seat as I have these other two to fit in my rotation scheme..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Ah yes, the black vintage dials..I have managed to get only one so far, delivered VFR direct from the Jerzy coast. Maybe when Kyle starts college and the need to generate some extra cash for those expensive math and engineering text books and tuition kick in, may bring an opportunity to capitalize and get another black dial Connie from the east coast...​
    [​IMG]
    Sub dials? Yes, I look at these models too - many of them fall in my category of simple and clean dials. Here's a vintage with a sub-second dial that recently joined my collection...​
    [​IMG]
    .......but the real target is to hit a 30T2 RG with these lines!
    [​IMG]

Oh Connies and C-shapes...yes - I like them too!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    In terms of dislikes..I'll pass on dials where the number markers are truncated - a perfect example is this modern IWC Portuguese Chronograph. Such a beauty of a watch but the designer really messed up dial when he sliced the 12 & 6 hour markers. ::rant:

[​IMG]
    But I really enjoy the looks of this one..​
    [​IMG]
    Then there are "the others" that are like members of the family like this Rado that I received from my father as graduation present more than 30 years ago and remains in top shape - BTW, Steve (NH2FL) was the first watch maker to open the caseback of this one on a recent service!​
    [​IMG]
    Or the only diver in the box that performs its intended purpose and gets wet?​
    [​IMG]

Crap, I digressed....in short, I just realized my collection plan and priorities are all over the map!! :confused:

Hey Lex, one reason this Panerai has not joined my collection is because the missing number nine marker - other than that, I think I'd be able to tolerate this piece of gold on my wrist.....:)

Radiomir, Red Gold, 42mm
    [​IMG]
    Did I say my plan was all over the map?

Privateday7 likes this.
  19. ulackfocus Nov 5, 2012

The only thing I would disagree with is truncated numbers - I like them when they're appliied metal as IWC often does. I really miss my Spitfire.

[​IMG]

20. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Nov 6, 2012

Ahhhh.... i like your plan. Follow your heart and see what opportunities arise.
    Dress, unique dial, sub second, chronos, divers.............and significant dent in our wallet.