Forums Latest Members
  1. sah Mar 22, 2018

The movement looks to be about the era, but it must be placed into a fake new case and dial. The red MD looks bogus. This has been recycled on Ebay a bunch of times so fortunately no one has bought it yet. I would appreciate your thoughts.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/SERVICED-E...772332?hash=item41db8490ac:g:3lwAAOSwFMdajJaKPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

s-l1600-4.jpg s-l1600-3.jpg
  2. coronado Mar 22, 2018

Except for the red "MD" added during refinishing, the watch is all correct. It's a William Osler model and was catalogued from about 1935 through 1940 or so.

3. sah Mar 22, 2018

Thanks. The super clean case and dial are remarkable for a 1935 watch.

4. coronado Mar 22, 2018

The dial has been refinished, but the white finish is correct and the print used by the refinisher is also the correct one. The printing may be a little heavy, but most people buying vintage Elgins would be satisfied with this refinish work.

If you look closely, you can see that the case shows a little brassing at the tips of the lugs, and in the caseback corners... very common for this model, although this one looks better than a lot I have seen.

I've had maybe a dozen of these over the years and have sold them for anywhere between $175 to $400 depending on condition.

Waltesefalcon likes this.