Forums Latest Members
  1. Kobus May 9, 2016

Found it in my late fathers stuff.

The springy thing at the bottom moves left and right. what1.jpg what2.jpg

2. lillatroll May 9, 2016

It looks like a telephonemetre stop watch. I had a quick search on google images using zenith stopwatch, and quite a few came up looking similar although not 100% the same.

3. Tony C. Ωf Jury member May 9, 2016

Yes, a telephone call timer. Zenith made many of them, and they appear on the market with some regularity.

4. Kobus May 9, 2016

How does it get wound?

Battery operated?

What was its purpose?

5. lillatroll May 9, 2016

According to what I found on google, they were used by telephone swithboard operators around the turn of the 1900s. At that time in America, for example there were only 5 mill phones in the US so it was probbaly not a huge job to moniter all the calls and work out the charges, or make sure that no one was getting more time than they were paying for. According to the patent drawings they had mechanical movements so I guess they wound them up like regular clocks. According to another article I found, they were still in use in the 1940s. This one looks like a later one as it doesn't have the patent number on it like earlier ones did.

Edited May 9, 2016
  6. JimInOz Melbourne Australia May 9, 2016

Wound and re-set by pushing the lever across, pushing it the other way starts the timer.

GuiltyBoomerang likes this.