Forums Latest Members
  1. Dan Apr 12, 2012

omega 001.JPG omega 002.JPG omega 005.JPG omega 006.JPG omega 007.JPG omega 008.JPG omega 009.JPG omega 010.JPG Here is my old watch.

The watch was owned by my grandfather who owned an employment agency so often times he would take things on trade rather than get paid. So he could have bought it new or traded for it, I dont know.

1965 watch was damaged and put away
    1995 watch given to me
    1996 new crystal (saved the original), hour hand, and minnute hand (saved the original)
    1997 watch will not stay together and new hands keep falling off. put away again
    2001 taken to proper watch shop and it has functioned properly ever since. but still has goofy minnute hand and hour hand that dont match color of the gold.

If you guys really like watch stories, I really do have a good one on how it was damaged and why it was put away for so long.

So what is this?
    on the back cover it says 14K gold filled D&A
    the paper work with it has the number 684493
    I dont however want to pull the back off since it is working great now and I dont want to do any harm.
    I do like the watch and it does have a certain character to it.

Thanks

2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 12, 2012

Yea would love to hear what happened to it, very nice to see original box and papers too.

3. Dan Apr 13, 2012

As I said earlier, nobody knows where it came from except grandpa but he is not talking.

I am told that in 1965 grandma was doing laundery and the watch was washed which then came apart. Grandma yelled at grandpa for leaving it in his pocket and grandpa yelled at grandma for not checking the pockets. It was a bad enough arguement that my mother and aunt remember that fight vividly to this day. This was a very heated subject so I assume grandpa just wanted the cause of the fight to go away so he boxed up all the pieces and put it away. Grandpa passed in 1991, so then we cleaned out the cars, guns, and all the other stuff of his that grandma did not want around anymore.

1995 - we were helping grandma move to a smaller house when she found the box hidden in a closet. Since I work on cars, grandma said take this box of junk, maybe you can fix it. Whatever, I dont work in a jewlery store but who argues with grandma so I put the box in my car.

1996 - I scatter the pieces across a table and it sure seems like everything is there for reconstruction so I pack everything up and head down to a watch shop. The guy seems to be knowledgeable and sold me a repair. New minnute hand, hour hand, crystal, clean off the face, clean and oil watch mechanism, all for $100. At the time I was working a part time job and going to college so I thought $100 for a gold watch was a deal so I left it there. Within 3 months the back kept falling off, the crystal was loose and the minnute hand fell off so in frustration everything went back in the box.

2001 I am working out of town in Salt Lake City ( I was from Kansas at the time) when I walked into a very nice watch shop that had many Omega watches. I almost bought one that day because I kept thinking how much I liked the way my broken one looked. Luckily the person I was talking to knew a lot about old Omegas and talked me into bringing down to have it looked at. So I call up my mother to dig through the stuff I left at her house when I moved out. (dont laugh, everybody does it) She found the box with the Omega, mailed it out me, and I gave it to the repair man. I dont remember what he charged me, must have been $150-$200 or so but when I got it back everything was tight, and has worked flawlessly to this day. I do however wish I would have had better hands put on it then.

Christmas 2001 I am going to my aunts house for Christmas and within 10 minnutes my aunts face goes white, she looks at my mother and asks her "is that the watch?" mom just said "yes it is" but did not talk about it anymore in front of grandma. Eventually everyone wanted to get a closer look at it though.

It is a very good looking piece, I am proud to have it and my wife already knows that it better not go through the wash.

4. Dan May 7, 2012

How about this, the top paragraph seems to imply 1953 and the bottom paragraph states that 1956 is in the future. omega 011.JPG

Also the back is different than most I have seen pictures of. Should I attempt to open this myself?

omega 001.JPG

Any idea on what to call this?