Forums Latest Members
  1. ossfm Apr 25, 2016

I bought this 1966 Constellation from a OF member in February. I loved the look of it when I bought it and I love it even more after receiving it. I had no idea the hour markers, date surround and hands would catch and play with the light the way they do. I love to look at it while twisting it this way and that in the light. All the different facets add to the glamour of the watch.

I have a microscope right next to my desk. I used it to look at Connie. When I did, I found something unexpected. There is some kind of writing/inscription under the top 2 lugs at 12 o’clock. The previous owner did not recognize its presence before, so could offer no explanation. I took some quick pictures, but they turned out terrible. It’s taken me until now to get some better ones.

Maybe some of the experienced members here can provide some insight. Maybe it is something left over from a service? I know normally this information is on the inside of the case back. There are markings/inscriptions on the inside of my case back. Would a dealer mark a watch in such a way to recognize their own inventory? I don’t know and I’ve not heard of that, but I am new to the watch world.

Here is one lug and what the text may be. This one seems straight forward compared to the other one...
    L-both.jpg

Here is the other lug and what the text may be. The symbols don't match in only one direction. I mean it could be a "F" in one direction, but the other could be a "B" in the other direction.
    R-both.jpg

I'm curious to know what you think.

Thanks,
    Mike

2. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Apr 25, 2016

Clearly your watch was used in satanic rituals

3. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Apr 25, 2016

I think someone had a real lazy watchmaker.
    gatorcpa

4. jimdgreat1 Apr 25, 2016

They were trying to turn it into a fake rolex. :rolleyes:

naidu and GuiltyBoomerang like this.
  5. DON Apr 26, 2016

Coordinates to Jimmy Hoffa's burial site

6. kingsrider Thank you Sir! May I have another? Apr 26, 2016

Some form of ID in case the watch was stolen? I saw this not to long ago on another watch, scribed on the back of the lug. My first thought was it looked like a drivers lic #.

7. ossfm Apr 27, 2016

Yeah, could be. I didn't think of an owner doing that.

8. ossfm Apr 27, 2016

I'm going to assume this is fairly uncommon. I don't think I'll take up the practice of marking my DL on the watch back. I'll just write down the movement numbers.

9. ConElPueblo Apr 27, 2016

My Longines Conquest has this as well. It hasn't been serviced prior to me getting it, so I'd assume that the jeweller's store it originated from did it.

10. dialstatic Apr 27, 2016

In that last picture, it clearly reads 'Eel brie'.

11. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Apr 27, 2016

Bet the person who placed those markings there got poor penmanship grades in elementary school.

12. moonphaselover Apr 27, 2016

I have had several pocket watches that
    came to me with what I assumed were
    previous owner's Driver License numbers
    or social security numbers engraved / scratched
    into the cases.

Police home-security officers and such
    suggested people do that so stolen goods
    could be easily identified and or/ the theft discouraged.

The lose-of-value due to the degradation
    of the originality was never a factor.