Forums Latest Members

What is this? Seamaster, Constellation, other...........?

1. novina Mar 22, 2016

I know the dial is a "custom" dial, but what exactly is this thing????

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-1968-O...228029?hash=item464ac66a3d:g:NrcAAOSwDuJWxTxkPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

If it is a true Constellation, how hard would it be to find a real dial? Even worth it? If at all, maybe someone can tell me what this should have been. Omega data base does not come up with this specific reference. Going buy filters, found Seamasters that come close to this case reference with this caliber. Not so much on the Constellation search. So can we pin this to one model or the other. More curious than anything.

Thanks,

Rob

2. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Mar 22, 2016

Case is a genuine Omega Constellation top loading case, either 168.0015 or .0025 in poor condition.

Dial is an incorrect redial with fonts from a later Constellation. Missing calendar surround as well.

No idea about the movement, but I would suspect the condition is not good either.

This smells like a "Mumbai Special".
    gatorcpa

3. dragoman Mar 22, 2016

The case may be had for 200 euros or less, NOS.
    Movement should be 564, not 565, and a 564 may be had for another 200 euros.
    Dial is an abomination, and hands do not fit for a Constellation, so you would be paying almost a fifty pecent more for a set of pieces only worth for their separate value. You would end up the same with a franken, but it would be your Franken, and the case, at least would be NOS.
    I would pass.

4. novina Mar 22, 2016

I thought this was a piece of junk when I saw it. Just was not sure how much. Going by sellers description only would diffently be a mistake. But I was just wonder as I had issues finding a correct corresponding watch on the Omega data base. Wanted to see how many watches this was made of. As my search gave no exact match.

As for rehabbing, maybe for a couple of hundred USD. But never at $600. Also, without the view of the movement, it would have been a Hail Mary type of situation hoping for the best. I am not that kind of person, at least not anymore, to bid on this just to hope it is ok.

Thanks for the insight.

5. wsfarrell Mar 22, 2016

Could you point me to where the NOS case and 564 movement can be found for 200 euros? Thanks----

6. dragoman Mar 23, 2016

Cases with that reference (168.015) have been selling at ebay in the last month from EUR 109

http://www.ebay.es/sch/i.html?_odkw=omega 168.0015&LH_PrefLoc=2&_sop=10&LH_Complete=1&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=omega 168.015&_sacat=0Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

Movements come and go, but here are some from the last month

http://www.ebay.es/itm/Omega-Conste...596144?hash=item2ca7bac4b0:g:ngUAAOSw5dNWoR3BPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

http://www.ebay.es/itm/Omega-Conste...596144?hash=item2ca7bac4b0:g:ngUAAOSw5dNWoR3BPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

http://www.ebay.es/itm/OMEGA-CALIBE...277422?hash=item3f5da8b62e:g:EAwAAOSwoudW12A0Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

7. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Mar 23, 2016

You have me confused.

First, none of the auctions were for just a 168.015 case. Both auctions are for the same watch, so obviously there's some funny business going on there.

This case is one of very few Omegas have have the reference number engraved on the outside of the case.

The cal. 564 movements in the eBay listings have serial numbers in the 30M+ range, clearly outside the range of the period where these watches were sold. They should be in the 27M to 28M range. Made around 1968 and sold up to 1970 or so.

I have an example with the pie-pan dial:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

OMGRLX and wsfarrell like this.
  8. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Mar 23, 2016

Wasn't there a thread recently that had a v late 564 in the 30+m range that caused some discussion?
    Probably a c- case movement?

9. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Mar 23, 2016

Most likely, or maybe a Seamaster Chronometer. Cal. 564's were made up to the mid 1970's.

However, they changed rotors sometime around 1972:
    Older style:
    [​IMG]

Newer version:
    s-l1600.jpg

Similar, but not the same.
    gatorcpa

OMGRLX and arkstfan like this.
  10. dragoman Mar 23, 2016

Probably I was not clear in my answer.

All I wanted to say was that the auctioned watch was an overpriced mismatch of Omega pieces. A frankend with an awful dial.

A beaten case, that could be obtained, NOS, for less than two hundred euros, a wrong movement (a 565, when it should be a 564), that could also be obtained for less than two hundred euros, and a dial that belonged in the rubish bin. Therefore, for less than four hundred euros you could have all that could be savaged from that watch.

You would still need to find a proper dial, but so would you if you buy the auctioned watch. That is why I said that you would end up with a franken, but at least, it would be your franken.

Then I offered some references when a member here asked me where to find the case and the movement for less than two hundred euros

I hope that clears my, obviously, obscure previuos message.

11. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 24, 2016

Sold and then relisted.
    [​IMG]

12. novina Mar 24, 2016

Should have taught him a lesson and offer it at a much lower price....but apparently not.