Forums Latest Members

What is this....is this normal...Speedmaster 321 Chrono Pusher From The Case Back Side??

1. Pasbru May 22, 2014

Is this normal, has anyone seen this...can anyone explain...seems like some type of gear teeth showing? Not sure how to explain but here is the picture of it. Thanks Guys!

OCB1.JPG

2. TLIGuy May 22, 2014

It is a normal piece of the pusher assembly. I assume they are there to keep the pusher cap from rotating. It looks to me like the pusher cap was replaced possibly with the incorrect one and is not deep enough to cover the teeth like the one on the bottom. They appear to be two different caps or a different pusher all together. Judging by the appearance of discoloration on the other one the one in question is shiny and clean and looks relatively new.

Did you have the watch or pusher serviced?

3. Pasbru May 22, 2014

Hi,

I agree, I saw the same things you do, cap may be wrong, color is different for sure, so I will have it looked at for sure to figure out what's going on with it. Thanks, just wanted to confirm my suspicions.....when changing these parts do you guys feel it hurts the originality of the watch.

4. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! May 23, 2014

As long as you change to correct parts, shouldn't make much difference on value IMO.

On a watch decades old, I give little credence to the "original to the watch" descriptor when in most cases, that is impossible to determine.

5. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job May 23, 2014

Agree, so long as it is limited to pushers and crystal, which affect the appearance very little if at all.
    As you get into the appearance items, this becomes less acceptable and to different degrees.
    An original crown is preferred, although it bothers most only slightly if it's not. Next, original hands are preferred, especially the same spear-tip sweep seconds (versus the later flat bottom). The bezel with Dot-Over-90 is important, and keeps few from buying an otherwise nice example but puts an original style bezel high on the look-for list (mine at the moment). A service dial really turns collectors off.
    I think these OEM parts vary not only in degrees of acceptability, but by reference as well. I'm less inclined to spend $6k USD on a 105.003 with a replacement bezel than I am to spend $3k USD on a 105.012 with a replacement bezel (which as mentioned is where I find myself now).

6. pascs May 23, 2014

I would also be careful that the small bolt that screws into the pusher hasnt become loose. The pusher is made up of 5 parts, metal gasket, the piece that screws into the case, a spring inside the pusher, a bolt and the pusher (as you can see in the picture below)

[​IMG]

If the bolt starts to come loose then I can imagine the pusher would gradually be pushed further out by the spring and you'd have the situation you have with your watch

KingCrouchy, JohnSteed and TLIGuy like this.
  7. Pasbru May 23, 2014

Thanks guys!! For sure I knew it was not right, so will have it looked at and taken care of. Thumbs up to all! HAGW!!

8. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder May 23, 2014

JohnSteed likes this.
  9. JohnSteed May 23, 2014

10. skipper Jan 14, 2019

Found this thread while trying to figure out what to do with my 105.003, which has a dislodged/loose pusher. Messing round with my 8yr old daughter, rough & tumbles, and caught the side of the watch in the process :( Lesson learnt, remove beforehand next time!

Anyway, I'm just trying to work out if the outer pusher 'cap' is friction fit onto those splines that are on the part that screws into the case, or if its likely to have been secured with some sort of adhesive? Will determine if I try to pull it off and reseat it myself, or pass it to my watchmaker to sort out.

Don't know if this is relevant but when you push it gently, it moves against a spring slightly before clicking to start/stop the chrono.

[​IMG]

Thanks for your thoughts.

11. Dan S Jan 14, 2019

Just coming loose IMO. You can't fix it by pushing it on, it needs to be threaded on correctly. And your watchmaker should check the threads.

12. skipper Jan 14, 2019

OK thanks for your help, I'll have it looked into.

13. Bnels Jan 4, 2021

Where you able to fix that yourself? If so how did you do it? If not what was the damage to get I fixed? I am having a similar issue with time. LMK

14. bjhove Jan 4, 2021

I had the same problem with one of the pushers on my speedmaster 145012 - the screw inside the pusher has become loose. It took the watchmaker 5 minuttes to tighten it. But get it fixed, otherwise the cap might fall off.

Bnels likes this.