Forums Latest Members
  1. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Mar 9, 2015

...to realizing $475 for a stainless steel Wittnauer?
    It's a lovely example, but this seller routinely gets ridiculous money! And don't tell me it's the photographs. There HAS to be more to it!
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/311307856371?redirect=mobilePurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network
    Hope the link works, but the item number is there.

2. Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids Mar 9, 2015

Honestly, if there's no shill bidding going on (and there probably isn't), it really just the pictures.

Novices go crazy over nicely photographed watches.

Time Exposure likes this.
  3. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Mar 9, 2015

He has a huge following and he's a good guy. Nothing wrong with making an honest living...

Sizzle, not the steak and all that. How does Outback sell 30 dollar steaks or Starbucks sell a 4 dollar cup of crap coffee?

Time Exposure likes this.
  4. shaun hk Fairy nuffer Mar 10, 2015

He also writes good descriptions, just 'fluff' to most on here but it reads great to a noob or someone buying as a gift

5. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Mar 10, 2015

He comes across as a fatherly good guy, read some of his descriptions.

"Turning the watch over I see that the back of the case is in pristine shape, stamped “USE ALL PROOF 1200"

"Cautious Carl (my old and kind dog friend) and I want to thank you for dropping by and we hope you place a bid. Let us know if you have any questions too!"

Couple these with the fact the watch is serviced and he provides a return policy, the novice's dream.

And in fact I just missed a very nice Wittnauer from them a few days ago because I forgot to put my bid in :mad:

I'm still pissed off about it.

wittywaffle.jpg

Darlinboy likes this.
  6. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Mar 10, 2015

I was watching that too. Great style, but I was concerned it would wear small. I stopped watching when it broke the sound barrier...
    What fun is my favorite guilty pleasure cheap Swiss watch if it's not cheap? Guess I'm just bitter that it seems the cat is out of the bag on this worthy brand. Here's my recent heartbreaker that ended at (what now seems a reasonable) bid of $230:
    [​IMG]

7. Hijak Mar 10, 2015

A very nice Swiss watch, freshly serviced from a reputable dealer on a nice strap for $475...just don't see this as ridiculous money.

8. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Mar 10, 2015

Would you pay it? I wouldn't.
    Let's agree "ridiculous" is not as fitting a description as "retail." When I have funds saved up for a Speedmaster 105.012, I'll gladly pay retail for a nice copy. But after years of buying Wittnauers at $100 a copy for mint and $60 for nice runners, I'm flabbergasted someone would pay $475 for a 3-hand, time-only Wittnauer. And I see no other seller getting nearly the same results as this seller.
    I am not suggesting the seller is doing anything wrong. They are entitled to earn as much as they can for their goods. I was simply wondering how one seller gets it when others cannot? I think JimInOz pretty much nailed it with his assessment.
    I guess if the same watch shows up for sale again, I'll have a different understanding...