Forums Latest Members

What is the correct dated 1039 bracelet for my 145.012 Speedy?

1. RollinStone13 Apr 7, 2017

Hi Guys - I'm new to the forum and new to watch collecting over the past 5 years. I've become very passionate in a short period of time (especially within the last couple years) and love the fact that there is always something new to learn about watches, especially vintage. I'm here to learn as much as I can from everyone and continue to discuss something that I really enjoy!

I prefer vintage chronos from the 60's and 70's (Omega, Rolex, Universal Geneve, Longines), which were in production nearly 20 years before I was born. One of my favourite watches that I currently own is a 145.012-67 Omega Speedy with the famed 321 movement. I purchased it from a dealer in my hometown of Toronto and probably didn't get the best deal. I (probably over)paid $9K CAD for a watch with all original pieces except for bracelet, with some hour markers missing lume, but overall got a watch that was in very good shape. I learned my lesson that patience is required when collecting to ensure that you get the right piece.

As mentioned, the watch I purchased did not come with the original 1039 bracelet but an 1171 instead. I'd like to source a 1039 that is as close to 'original' (in terms of time period) as possible. I've got an Omega extract from the archives that says my watch was produced September 26, 1968.

I'd like to ask some members of the forum which date I should be seeking for my 1039 bracelet that will match with the production date of my watch. I've mostly read that both '68' or '69' dated 1039s would be period correct, but have also seen some articles mentioning that a '67' dated 1039 could be period correct as well.

Any advice that you could pass along would be much appreciated!

JPC

BartH, mr_yossarian and tapaptpat like this.
  2. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Apr 7, 2017

Pics of the watch will help...

tapaptpat likes this.
  3. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Apr 7, 2017

Welcome to the forum, nice to see someone join with a avatar and a introduction.

The knowledgeable guys will be along soon, but you better throw a picture up as they need pictures ;)

4. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Apr 7, 2017

Hi there. Welcome from another Torontonian!

Bracelets were typically a point of sale item. Most will accept one that close, even +/- a year.

Does the extract mention the bracelet specifically? Some do, some don't. Depends on whether Omega has record of it or not.

Now, let's see the watch!

tapaptpat and nonuffinkbloke like this.
  5. Davidt Apr 8, 2017

Probably something like 3/69 for the bracelet, although any quarter of 69 would be fine IMO.

Early 70 might be ok as well.

oddboy likes this.
  6. BartH Follows a pattern of overpaying Apr 8, 2017

7. RollinStone13 Apr 8, 2017

Thanks for the feedback guys! I've attached a photo of the watch.

Unfortunately, no mention of the bracelet on the Omega extract. But it seems like it's better price wise to hunt for a 1039 on this forum than eBay.

IMG_3286.JPG
    sirish19, bhove, oddboy and 2 others like this.
  8. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Apr 8, 2017