Forums Latest Members

what is the best way to buy a decent polerouter?

1. lonemian May 28, 2018

I have been searching for a polerouter date with decent condition and price for last months... Ebay is mostly full of players posting redialed and rusty ones at $1,000. Im sick of it.

Im even ready to take a trip to find a deal overseas. Is there any off/online community for polerouter users?

Thanks!

C2F21129-A5A0-4D38-9DC7-28AE75C6C367.jpeg
    glennberger and CafeRacer like this.
  2. Tony C. Ωf Jury member May 28, 2018

Depending on where you are located, you mat be able to find good value at a local watch fair. They are held semi-regularly in Europe, especially in Germany.

Alternatively, if you are patient, you could wait for prices to come down, and they will.

sdre and aap like this.
  3. lonemian May 28, 2018

Why would the price go down? I found polerouter date price has been escalated like from 450 to 900 median

CafeRacer likes this.
  4. Carlton-Browne May 28, 2018

You're in it!

isnardi, Florent, Jonatan and 6 others like this.
  5. Tony C. Ωf Jury member May 28, 2018

Several reasons, the first being that there will be widespread asset deflation when the inevitable economic crisis accelerates. In fact, prices are already experiencing downward pressure outside of the most obvious brands and models. They are also overrated, in stark contrast to the arguably superior (yet similar in many ways) Certina DS, which are grossly undervalued. Etc.

joso, khmt2, sdre and 3 others like this.
  6. ulackfocus May 28, 2018

Geezus Tony, shut up already! ::facepalm2:: :p

Eve, CafeRacer, klugt1990 and 10 others like this.
  7. jumpingsecond May 28, 2018

The Polerouter seems like one of the models that could weather the storm whenever it comes. They have a rich, well established history which adds to value. Pair that popular imagery/history with the superb engineering/design and Polerouters seem to have the qualities that can survive the armageddon whenever it comes moreso than other types of watches currently fetching high prices that may be designed just as well but lack the iconography behind them.

Whats interesting is that there isn't even an organized push behind UG Polerouters thats powering it up- there's no real corporate marketing or branding being pumped into them - its just a movement by WIS crowd.

glennberger, micampe and Florent like this.
  8. aap May 28, 2018

Now, I regret selling my Certina DS!

9. Jonatan May 28, 2018

Have a look at the sales forum!

I personally think that Polerouter prices will only escalate. I remember a conversation with a gentleman that I greatly respect during one of his visits to Lausanne, who talked about the 3 points that create the desire for a watch and thus increases demand and value:
    1) Numbers. A rare watch that only has a few examples is too difficult to find and will create the demand
    2) Enough differences between dials, cases or model that creates a fanboy effect (think Rolex Subs) and collectibility
    3) A history that makes the watch desirable

Lots of Polerouters out there and they remain easy to find and cheap
    Patina heaven, chocolate, asphalt, spider, gray dial patinas, Polerouter, Polerouter Date, Polerouter Jet, Polerouter Super, Polerouter Electric,
    Designed by Gerald Genta and linked to aviation.

EDIT: Full disclosure, I own several Polerouters...

Edited May 29, 2018
  10. Seaman May 29, 2018

In my country on a classified site I often seen them for sale at about 500 Euro. Here are two example:

https://www.olx.ro/oferta/ceas-universal-geneve-polerouter-rar-IDb5ugB.html#bd4e7429de

https://www.olx.ro/oferta/ceas-univ...ld-plated-model-f-rar-ID6y3uG.html#bd4e7429de

I am from Romania. For the second one I already spoke with the person because I want it to buy it for myself but I have to make a trip to pick it up because he don't want to post it.

If you are interested in one of those let me know..

lonemian likes this.
  11. Florent May 29, 2018

If you want a quality Polerouter, with all parts originals and unpolished, except to pay at least 1500€. A lot of worn specimens are available but with patina on the dial, wrong hands, polished, wrong crown ... Good examples become rare and the collectors won't let them go ...

Example, this one was mine, perfect condition, sold in a few minutes 2200€ and I had several requests.

F2559664-7463-4E33-9B36-75AA7799BB92.jpeg

:whistling:

thank-you-for-your-patience.jpg

thelinendial, Atin, x3no and 3 others like this.
  12. GuiltyBoomerang May 29, 2018

I remember hearing from the forum here, that Rolex prices have always been high due to marketing, never mind the movement quality/build; consequently, many brands, such as Cyma, UG and Certina had watches that paralleled or were better than Rolex and also had similar price points.

Polerouters are a bit of a bane pricing wise: as @Florent has mentioned many have wrong/missing bits and are polished. That should not discourage you from the hunt though.

As an aside, this may be sacrilegious, my gold-capped Polerouter will be getting a case tube change to accommodate this signed crown.

20180528_162611.jpg

20180528_162607.jpg

jumpingsecond and valjoux72 like this.
  13. lonemian May 29, 2018

Thanks for the sharing. Im interested in the first one, but the caveat here is whether they want to post it to Asia. As long as the transaction is held in a mutually safe way, I'd like to discuss further.

14. lonemian May 29, 2018

Thanks for the sharing! If you dont mind, would you share closeup pictures of its parts? It'd be super useful to train my eyes detecting franken-ed ones.

I'm also curious to know how you got the polerouter date in a perfect condition.

Timo832000 likes this.
  15. gop76 May 29, 2018

Not a good idea: wrong crown, wrong crystal, wrong seconds hand, damaged caseback, rotor rubing, spoted chapter ring, hands with lume and dial without, while theoretically possible, is not a good sign also and i'm wondering why would a dial be marked "Swiiss T" and having no lume...

lonemian likes this.
  16. Tony C. Ωf Jury member May 29, 2018

One of the consequences of the unprecedented asset bubbles that have been created by central banks over the past 10 years is that many, if not most investors and collectors have been lulled into a false sense of security in terms of rising values. Unless the biggest debt bubble in the history of the world can be resolved without another major economic crisis – and good luck with that – the values of the vast majority of assets, certainly including collectibles, will deflate.

Focussing on vintage watches, it is of course true that there are other variables in play, and that the best and most desirable models will hold value during economic downturns better than others. But those who believe that values that have been inflated, at least in part, by CB-induced stock and property values, will not come down when those major asset bubbles burst, are in for an unpleasant surprise.

In the wake of the 2008 crisis, does anyone truly imagine that the values of even the most coveted collectibles remained stable (let alone increased)?

I understand the appeal of Polerouters, but is there something intrinsic about them that was just discovered a year or two ago, catalyzing a near-doubling of values? The answer is no. And while fashion is an important catalyst of vintage watch values, I wouldn't count on it to support a price trajectory that is dubious to begin with.

Edited May 29, 2018
    lonemian, Jonatan and GuiltyBoomerang like this.
  17. ELV web May 29, 2018

Is T Swiss T dial and hands with lume while if it is just Swiss T it is only lume on either not both?

18. gop76 May 29, 2018

The difference between T Swiss T and Swiss T is the quantity of low-energy radiation emited, is not related with being on dial, hands or both:

https://www.hautehorlogerie.org/en/...y-of-watchmaking/s/swiss-t-25-t-swiss-made-1/

Is possible that a watch was produced with lumed hands and non lumed dial (the opposite doesn't make sense) but is extremely rare to see.

Looking at the condition of the rest of the watch i'm guessing that the lume on dial was removed leaving only the markers that usually are hidden below the lume plots but, yes, is just a guess

19. Tony C. Ωf Jury member May 29, 2018

It is not a good idea to base dial originality judgments on this. There are more than a few examples of original watches that had dissonant lume references.

GuiltyBoomerang likes this.
  20. ELV web May 29, 2018

Thanks for the education guys