What is "Omega Service"?

It seems that we don't exactly know what is meant by this, at least I'm not sure.

I know there are Omega Service Centers, for me this is Miami in USA, where you send your modern and many vintage watches can be sent for service at a flat rate. I personally don't do this any more because of multiple bad experiences.

Some vintage calibers are not authorized for service in the US and must go to Bienne (or Biel, but Omega are historically Francophone). I don't know what this includes.

There is also Omega's "restoration service" in Bienne, where they'll make your watch look new for $1500 flat rate. I assume that's what happens, and regardless of what you ask for, that's the result you get.

Can we clarify which "horror stories" occur where? I think it would be useful to the community at large.

Thanks

When I got my 2254.50.00 Omega serviced it came back like a new watch / bracelet polished etc.. which is what I wanted. They even got a scratch off the bezel. I also got all the old parts back including the hands. It was not cheap but as it is a fixed fee it does mean you can run the watch hard / well past the normal service date and know most things are covered (I did pay extra for a new crystal but my bad for clashing with an aluminium aircraft door handle which chipped the reflective coating). I am based in the UK. For vintage I tend to use local watchmakers (including Swiss Time Service who are Omega authorised anyway)

AFAIK

In order to guarantee optimal quality assurance for repairs, the big brands have started to certify workshops. This certification is the basic requirement for a company to be supplied with spare parts. There are three levels of certification. . How the supply of spare parts is guaranteed depends on the certification level. Since 2010, Omega has only been supplying spare parts to certified workshops.

e.g.: Level 3: "Certified Service Point"

According to Omega, you are entitled to perform all work on an OMEGA watch at the highest level. In addition to the OMEGA straps and case parts, in the third stage of certification you will also receive all movement parts of an OMEGA watch.

This includes (requires) also training and suitable work equipment.

^^^ it was actually 2015 when all the resellers of parts were cut off, not 2010.

There is also Omega's "restoration service" in Bienne, where they'll make your watch look new for $1500 flat rate. I assume that's what happens, and regardless of what you ask for, that's the result you get.

Price starts at 1500...

To answer Tom’s question, the “horror stories” have happened at both country service centres, and at Bienne.

I don’t recall seeing anyone on a forum indicate that they have used the restoration service, which I believe only applies to watches made before 1940, so not generally the focus of the majority of people here or on other forums.

Regarding what calibers are Bienne only, Omega has a list that they maintain, and update so it’s not a static list.

I just had a really positive experience with it. My local Auckland agents (Nairns) took an initial look at these two watches, determined they needed to go to Bienne, quoted NZ$1400 (~US$1000) fixed price for a "full monty" (including shipping, etc). I specifically asked for the Constellation dial to be left alone, which they requested on my behalf, with the proviso that if the big O thought it needed replacing they'd get back in touch. Told me it might be up to 16 weeks. Well, it only took nine weeks, Connie dial untouched and with new signed cyclops crystal, new decagonal crown (not original original, but genuine Omega) to replace a generic, both watches came back in fantastic condition with character intact. Baggies of replaced parts showed how much internal work was done. In my opinion, well worth the money spent (especially as I picked up both watches with faults for good prices originally). I'll be doing it again.

I'm sure others have had bad experiences. But maybe -- just maybe -- 2021 Omega is responding to the concerns of the enthusiast community and doing what the customer is asking when that's reasonable.

I'm sure others have had bad experiences. But maybe -- just maybe -- 2021 Omega is responding to the concerns of the enthusiast community and doing what the customer is asking when that's reasonable.

Glad your experience was good. Just to clarify, Omega won’t replace or refinish a dial unless they have a valid reason to do so. The checks that are done on all vintage watches are outlined in something called the vintage diagnostic manual. This outlines all sorts of checks that vintage watches are subjected to, and what conditions are a pass or fail for each test.

If the part in question doesn’t pass, there are remedies defined. So one test that would be done on your dial would be taking a sharpened piece of peg wood, and using that around the edge of the dial to see if the finish lifts easily or is solid. If it lifts, the policy is clear that a dial replacement or refinish is mandatory.

If you are lucky, Omega will inform you of the result and give you the option to have the watch returned without the service being completed. If you are unlucky, they will go ahead and do this without getting your permission.

So if Omega doesn’t replace or refinish your dial, that means there was nothing wrong with it. It’s common when people ask Omega not to replace something, and that request is complied with, for them to conclude Omega will listen and not change something that they would have changed, but that’s not really the case.

Cheers, Al

What most people don't understand (or don't want to) is that by definition, a service done by a brand (I e a big company) or an independent is done differently. With the former it is much more procedural, and the client does not have much to say about it. An independent may have more leeway, he works alone and has a full view of the process. For example if you insist on keeping a flaking dial you may keep it-with some warranty restrictions. It can be a custom tailored work, as opposed to a more standardized approach.

That is why obviously, most collectors say not to send a vintage watch to the mothership; you can't always control how it will be afterwards.