Forums Latest Members
  1. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Feb 11, 2016

Hey guys,

Noob here. I was wondering what the BestFit system is about. Is it a cross reference index of original parts, or an alternative maker of parts that match the specs of original parts?

I can't tell from descriptions and discussions I've found while googling.

I was wondering as Ofrei refers to some parts by both Omega part number and bestfit number. I'm not clear on whether that would be a real omega part, or an aftermarket part that should fit.

Thanks for the continuing education!

nonuffinkbloke likes this.
  2. Horlogerie EU based Professional Watchmaker Feb 12, 2016

It is both, a source of aftermarket form/fit/function pieces along with a huge supply of OEM pieces.

Quick example, here in the EU a supplier carries genuine Omega balance staff's for a 861, their price = $100

Bestfit carries the same OEM genuine Omega staff, the Bestfit price = $30

Bestfit also offers a form/fit/function replacement staff, price = $7

A balance staff is a balance staff, no matter what others may try and convince you otherwise. I have used and continue to use Bestfit whenever I can, they are an excellent, and many times - the only - source of material for vintage movements and case parts.

Unfortunately no one in the EU seems to understand what Bestfit is and how it can help watchmakers, and increase the sales for material supply houses. So I continue to order all my Bestfit material from Canada and have it shipped here to France.

The two Bestfit books are a reference that every watchmaker should have on his bench, simply full of information and details not found anywhere else, it's called the "Encyclopedia of watchmaterial" for good reason.

The line between a "real Omega part" and an "aftermarket part that should fit" is a blurry one...one glance through the Bestfit manuals and you realize that Bestfit didn't go out and custom order these parts to be manufactured as replacements, they simply bought stock from the manufacturers at a time when manufacturers would sell parts to material houses. I am referring only to the various specialty items that only fit one, or a series of calibres. When you look at the availability of the real "generic" parts, that being the pages and pages of replacement balance staffs, pallet arbors, roller tables, stems, etc, etc, those parts were indeed generic and bulk made, for no one in particular.

Can you tell the difference between one of these generic parts and one that is OEM? I doubt it...especially when you order a OEM part and it arrives in an unmarked plastic bag...I will place two balance staff's next to each other, one an OEM $100 model, and the other a generic $7 model and you can't tell which is which...and both will do the job perfectly in the watch.

Rob

vitriol, nonuffinkbloke, Eve and 5 others like this.
  3. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Feb 12, 2016

Thanks Rob! Very helpful.

4. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 12, 2016

I have no issues using Bestfit parts when OEM parts are not available - I have never been disappointed with the quality of the parts, at least that I can recall. I will always use OEM if I can get them though.

Cheers, Al

JwRosenthal and nonuffinkbloke like this.
  5. PostwarO27 Feb 24, 2022

Do you buy directly from bestfit or do they sell thru material houses?

6. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 24, 2022

Bestfit is currently owned by this material supplier:

Watch Parts Online (mccawcompany.com)

Bestfit parts are sold through material houses.

PostwarO27 likes this.