Forums Latest Members

What if Speedmasters are no more than ‘57 Chevys; within one generation they’ll be worthless?

1. airansun In the shuffling madness Apr 25, 2018

I am haunted by how inexpensive vintage pocket watches have remained. I was just looking at the for sale page of a shop that sells mostly vintage American watchmaking bits. Porcelain dials, originals, are fifteen to forty bucks! Really nice ones. It’s similar all the way through. I can buy a quality hand made, relatively unique watch from the eighteenth century for less than a nice 145.022-69.

I bought twenty railroad grade pocket watches over about a four year period in the 80’s. I am convinced that, in current dollars, I have lost money. These things are gorgeous, as OF members know.

I think a lack of interest is the killer. Because people, with rare exceptions, haven’t worn pocket watches in a few generations, it’s gone as a tradition. Clothing is rarely made for carry pocket watches safely. And kids don’t see anyone carrying them. So, there’s very little demand for the modest supply.

I’ve seen the same thing happen with vintage cars. It’s what you grew up with that you want to collect, in most instances. So, the really great stuff, cars from the teens, twenties and thirties are dirt cheap in comparison to what they went for twenty years ago (relative dollars). A lot of old collectors are passing on and their families are selling for a fraction of the restoration value.

Fifteen plus years ago, the hot thing was ‘57 Chevys. A ton were made and there’s a ton of repo stuff available. But because so many grew up with them, demand went through the roof and they went for crazy money. Most recently, it was sixties muscle cars. In twenty years, how many people will want them?

I am convinced that as wristwatches fall out of fashion, demand will fall through the floor. Maybe, in thirty years, that same nice 145.022-69 will only be worth $500.00 in today dollars.

Might be worth waiting.

What do you think?

Oh, and a photo, cause every thread needs them.

76ED0943-E0F3-4B7E-8B63-EB33BC66E051.jpeg 41A17C59-62E7-41A3-B6FD-78B155CB301B.jpeg

2. mr_yossarian Apr 25, 2018

pointless

3. michael22 Apr 25, 2018

Will you still be alive in 30 yrs?
    Do what makes you happy, now. Let your kids bitch about wasted money, you won't be around to listen.

bazamu, MaiLollo and Larry S like this.
  4. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Apr 25, 2018

The best thing to do is sell any (vintage) speedmasters you have to me, and list the rest on eBay.

bazamu, propervinyl, murph and 10 others like this.
  5. airansun In the shuffling madness Apr 25, 2018

It doesn’t make a difference to me.

Hell, I collect eye dropper fill fountain pens.

I’m curious what people’s reactions to the notion are.

6. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Apr 25, 2018

Well, mechanical watch industry recovered from the quartz crisis, so maybe there's hope. being one of the only types of jewelery that's acceptable on men, they may always hold a place in the wardrobe... but sure, it's a risk that these little mechanical companions become worthless over a generation or two and no more than a curiosity to historians. I dunno.

Uniqez and nonuffinkbloke like this.
  7. abrod520 Apr 25, 2018

Interest in Speedmasters is heavily driven by their ties to the achievements of the Space Race, so I think there will always be some interest in them. Especially until we visit the moon again.
    Same goes for the chronographs visibly worn by race drivers in the '60s and '70s, how many people getting into racing eventually become fascinated by the raw awesomeness of what it meant to go racing in that era?

You can't wear replica moon boots or a racing helmet to the office to signify your interest in such things - but you know what you can wear....

bazamu, morningtundra, oddboy and 2 others like this.
  8. West Slope Apr 25, 2018

I think that is exactly what will happen if I am honest. Always be an exception for the really amazing examples but the average version of many is already well overdue for a correction IMHO.

airansun likes this.
  9. michael22 Apr 25, 2018

The next bunch of astronauts are going to have wrist computers that connect to the ship's computer. That doesn't detract from Speedie history, but the youngsters dreaming of space won't buy a $10000 Speedie.
    If I had to choose a watch that will fall in price in a couple of decades, it would be all the "barn find" speedies that collectors pay ludicrous money for now.
    Museums will pay big for a watch actually worn by in space, but not for the others.

airansun likes this.
  10. ulackfocus Apr 25, 2018

Learned well have you, padawan. A Jedi you truly now are.

Yoda.png

Are we related? ::confused2:: ( :p )

You, me, and the OP aren't the only ones who think the bubble is soon to burst.

Your NASA Underoos! ::psy::

Maybe, gostang9 and oddboy like this.
  11. ac106 Apr 25, 2018

It’s an interesting hypothesis because often people collect things they coveted when they were young.

Millennials are really the first generation not to wear or care about wristwatches. Gen Xer were at least obsessed with Swatch watches in the 1980s. Watches also aren’t essential jewelry for women any more either.

When a current ten year old turns 35, are they really going to care about astronauts in the 1960s? How many 30 year olds collect WWII militaria? Some I guess.

davten and Maybe like this.
  12. ulackfocus Apr 25, 2018

I guess that means when I'm in my 80's I can rebuy the '71 Pumpkin Orange Challenger Convertible (white top & interior) with a 318 for a song instead of taking a 2nd and 3rd mortgage.

Uniqez and Larry S like this.
  13. lightspire Apr 25, 2018

Interesting - especially about 57' Chevy - are they no longer popular?

Maybe likes this.
  14. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Apr 25, 2018

Your confusing an economic bubble with a windfall for boomers, with a non age focused product... of the tri 5’s 57’s are still doing well. The big hits where to the hemi’s After that insanity with clones reaching far into 6 figures.

True both watches and vintage cars are tied to world economic factors, no ones projecting a big bubble on Speedmasters.

MaiLollo likes this.
  15. airansun In the shuffling madness Apr 25, 2018

Wait til it’s illegal to operate internal combustion fossil fuel engines on public roads, or non- self driving vehicles. It’ll be cheap then. Have to tow it to a special track where you rent time to run it.

asrnj77 likes this.
  16. airansun In the shuffling madness Apr 25, 2018

Cars will take a much bigger hit, percentage wise, than watches.

17. nonuffinkbloke #1 Nigel Mansell Fan Apr 25, 2018

Pocket watches and classic cars are great. I love them, but they don't really compare.
    The Omega Speedmaster Professional 105.012 will always be 'The Real Moonwatch'. It took part in the greatest achievement in the history of the Human Race.
    That's pretty damn special!

105012, Maybe and Magic_Omega like this.
  18. airansun In the shuffling madness Apr 25, 2018

This car has been on eBay for some time. Only $65k. A 1923 Packard.

4D0DB446-907A-471E-8C6D-365F896963FF.jpeg

ulackfocus likes this.
  19. Rman Apr 25, 2018

I have three millennial nephews, all three of them wear mechanical watches.
    One I arranged a Nomos for and he’s absolutely over the moon with it and launched him deeper into the hobby, a bond we will share. Two of these kids are in the IT business!
    Men gravitate to tinkering-oriented hobbies with moving parts and details to appreciate.
    You can’t appreciate the guts or build of an Applewatch.
    Mechanical watches—- small, portable, functional, wearable.

bazamu, Kmart, Pun and 1 other person like this.
  20. 77deluxe Apr 25, 2018

The people who retrofit classic cars with electric engines and self-diving tech will make a mint.

davten, Kmart, Longbow and 2 others like this.