Forums Latest Members
  1. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Dec 15, 2016

I have learned more about vintage watches in the last year then I had in the previous 30 combined...and would not have done it without the generous members of the OF.

A big thanks to all of the friends that I have made, and to the knowledge I have gained.

Here are a few key takeaways...

When it comes to buying and selling, honesty is key. It is also much more rewarding to sell to a fellow OF member or collector at a fair price then trying to get more on other forums or ebay...thanks @Spacefruit

Condition is king...case polish is critical, thanks @marturx...patina lume must be critically evaluated, thanks @pitpro, and movement details can point to larger issues, thanks @Archer.

Hoarding, but only the good stuff is ok...thanks @gemini4.

Smartass...yeah, we need to have fun and keep people in check, thanks @ulackfocus.

The hobby is a lot more fun when you help out your fellow collectors...so many members to thank here.

DO NOT POST PICS OF NEW WATCHES ON INSTAGRAM if you haven't told your wife.

My helium escape valve is fubared...thanks @styggpyggeno1 .

So much knowledge gained, and so much to learn in 2017!

Thanks OF...

2. tpatta Happily spending my daughter’s inheritance Dec 15, 2016

:thumbsup::thumbsup:
    Smartass...yeah, we need to have fun and keep people in check, thanks @ulackfocus. :D

DO NOT POST PICS OF NEW WATCHES ON INSTAGRAM if you haven't told your wife. Learned this the hard way. Wife saw my Speedmaster collection from a photo at an event at the Omega boutique. That proved VERY costly. :whipped:

aap likes this.
  3. kov Trüffelschwein. Dec 15, 2016

Let your wife take the pictures and post them proud on Instagram. Explain where does the watch come from after posting, works if you are credible enough about how proud you are :D

Edited Dec 15, 2016
  4. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Dec 15, 2016

Brown-noser.

cicindela, watchknut and tpatta like this.
  5. WatchVaultNYC Dec 15, 2016

My lesson for 2016:

Quick change spring bars change everything

[​IMG]

KstateSkier, Syrte, SpeedyAV and 3 others like this.
  6. cvrle1 Dec 15, 2016

I learned that:
    I know absolutely nothing about watches in general
    "Newbie fee" can be quite expensive (thankfully dodged a bullet on that one)
    To ask 1st, buy 2nd
    I ask too many questions :D

Thanks to all that helped with providing answers to many stupid questions i posted so far. I do hope to cut down on those in next year *fingers crossed*

7. SpeedyAV Dec 15, 2016

I have learned that I have a lot more learning to do. I'm in the "pre-newbie" stage probably. I hope my IT department doesn't restrict me from accessing this site. I have also learned that I cannot be a watchmaker with a watchmaker toolkit from Amazon and a YouTube video.

watchknut likes this.
  8. ATWG Dec 15, 2016

I have learned as I get older my OCD is becoming more pronounced, thanks to OF.

heavenscloud likes this.