Forums Latest Members
  1. sat968 Feb 1, 2018

Ran across this pie-pan today on eBay and I can't imagine how the dial got in this shape. It looks as if someone smeared black powder over the dial and then started sanding. Could enough dust get into the watch to cause the black on the dial, or more probably someone who never should have opened the case did so?

s-l1600a.jpg

Edited Feb 1, 2018
  2. numero27 Feb 1, 2018

don't know, perhaps it has stayed in a drawer without glass for some times before someone decide to take care of it ...
    i like this beaten up dial, but i can have pretty bad taste sometimes ...

3. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Feb 1, 2018

Looks like the dial was dusted for fingerprints.

4. Caliber561 Feb 1, 2018

I"m not sure that's dust...
    It looks to me like a combination of corrosion and worn paint - a combination which won't clean off when the dial is put through a machine.

5. ChrisN Feb 1, 2018

Looks very bad. Down in the area of the "Made" text you can see some of what is probably the original lacquer. Lots of cracks by the looks of it outside of the minute track which appear to be in the dial paint. Could be the cracks were there and someone tried to "clean" the dial and just removed the lacquer but in a very harsh manner as all the pie pan high points have gone. Or the paint cracked after the lacquer was removed as the paint dried out. Doesn't really matter as it is ruined now.

What machine are you thinking about? We don't put dials through the movement cleaning machine if that's what you're thinking.

Cheers, Chris

6. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Feb 1, 2018

This dial might be an example of what would happen if you did! :p
    gatorcpa

7. apm1 Feb 1, 2018

looks washed