Forums Latest Members
  1. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Oct 15, 2014

2. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 15, 2014

Perhaps they will open the Bastille . Liberté

3. ulackfocus Oct 15, 2014

Sooner or later, dealing with people gets to you and you take the "early retirement package". If you think it's bad putting up with people in person, on the internet it can be even worse because people believe they're protected by some degree of anonymity and lose whatever little semblance of common courtesy they had. I don't blame Ernie for taking the money and getting out. Hell, I've given him a hard time myself because of one or two of his overzealous moderators.

4. peatnick Oct 15, 2014

Dutch were pioneers in monetization schemes

[​IMG]
    not that there is anything wrong with that . . .

[​IMG]

5. roach7 Oct 15, 2014

Wow, didn't see that coming

6. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 15, 2014

It was announced on WUS a few days ago. I take it at face value. I'm sure running a forum of that size gets old after a while, and I can certainly understand cutting back due to health concerns.

Yes I'm still a member there - I know many people here dislike the place, but based on a lot of forums I've been on over the years, they do pretty well with the very wide group of people that are on there.

persco, TLIGuy, Dogmann and 1 other person like this.
  7. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 15, 2014

Ernie had an incredible long innings running that site, well over a decade and it definitely is the biggest in the world by a long margin. I have some fairly major concerns about the new owners due to the fact that they're the same guys that took over Watchtalkforums as well as thewatchsite both of which have sort of floundered badly since that takeover. From what I understand the health and family reasons were very genuine and he needed to be able to step back from it to focus on the important things in life, I wish him all the best in that.

Dogmann likes this.
  8. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 15, 2014

I think I've even seen beagles over there:rolleyes:

9. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Oct 15, 2014

This ^

the biggest collection of d bags for watch forums exists on Rolexforums. I would love to step into a ring or an Olympic mat with 2 or 3 of those arrogant mods (at the same time) and see if they'd cop the same attitude with me to my face. guaranteed not. I'm not a violent person by nature but my hi C's and heel hooks are brutal. 1x AA 197lbs, ASU. :)
    Go Devils
    Neway - this is far and away the nicest watch community on the planet. Almost everyone here is cooler than fonzie.

10. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Oct 15, 2014

It gets old, looking over your shoulder and seeing Trev & Co. gaining on you !!
    (Paraphrase from Satchel Paige, one of the greatest)

Don't look back. Something might be gaining on you.
    Satchel Paige

Ain't no man can avoid being born average, but there ain't no man got to be common.
    Satchel Paige

Not to be cheered by praise, not to be grieved by blame, but to know thoroughly one's own virtues or powers are the characteristics of an excellent man.
    Satchel Paige
    Great outlook for the forum, eh?
    Two of the greatest sportsmen of all time ended up here by me, Satchel Paige and Stan Musial.

NT931 likes this.
  11. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Oct 16, 2014

You certainly have, and I have to say only because as here there are a lot of good guys :thumbsup:
    Unfortunately most of the posts are pretty mind numbing and repetitive :(

12. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 16, 2014

Perfectly fine , seen Cicidelids there too :thumbsup:

13. ulackfocus Oct 16, 2014

And a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away there was a member who lacked focus.

14. Hijak Oct 16, 2014

Sometimes threads even get Hijaked over there but it's fairly rare.;)

15. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 17, 2014

New owners over there are allowing flash ads to play automatically when you are browsing the forums...won't be a member there for long if that keeps up...

16. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Oct 17, 2014

Well.....they have to recoup their purchase investment :D

17. repoman Oct 17, 2014

I don't think I've ever seen a popular forum grown from the ground up, taken over by new management, and end up better off. In fact, I've seen many go from a discussion forum, into just a click through for adverts. RIP WUS.

18. ulackfocus Oct 17, 2014

Vertical Scope is an advertising company after all.....

19. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Oct 17, 2014

All this talk of WUS and I thought I'd go and take a look after about 9 months. Logged in OK but when I tried replying to a post on the Zenith forum, in answer to a noob's question, it told me that I don't have permission to do so. Fcuk 'em, it's their loss. Now, if only we could find a way to tempt Hartmut over here, the vintage Zenith side would have a real bonus........

20. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Oct 17, 2014

Probably you need to click their Ad first before you could post again.....:p

ulackfocus likes this.