Forums Latest Members

What Fresh Hell?: Space Compax Edition - Jacquet Droz Diver thing

1. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Jan 26, 2017

2. Gavin It's the quiet ones you have to 'watch' out for. Jan 26, 2017

They should just call it the 20atm.

3. BobXX Jan 26, 2017

I looks cool, but I'm pretty sure it's a frankenwatch.

That case (with its incorrect beveled lugs and diver caseback) is commonly seen on fake Space Compaxes. You can see more examples of it here.

4. fibonacci086 Jan 27, 2017

Description from the seller: "Bref, on est dans l'irréel dans le reve dans l'ultra exclusif."
    :D:D:D

kov, Jonatan and Syrte like this.
  5. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Jan 27, 2017

I think that you are wrong. It is legitimate, as there are similar examples out there. These styles were very low production, and they used cases that were also used on other brands.

[​IMG]

watchyouwant, kov, aap and 1 other person like this.
  6. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Jan 27, 2017

Le monstre de Frankenstein avait une certaine beauté intérieure.
    IMG_5783.JPG

Interesting... another oddity lurking in the fringes of the known.

mappleluna likes this.
  7. jimmyd13 Jan 27, 2017

In short, this is an ultra exclusive unreal dream ... pour dem who don't talk Franglais.

Jwit, Syrte and fibonacci086 like this.
  8. Mapearso Jan 27, 2017

I'll take the rubber pushers.. and IF it's a franken... I'll ask again -- where the heck are they sourcing the bezels? I had to look a loooong time for mine

9. Diabolik Jan 28, 2017

It seems that these form the backbone for the UG space compax frankens we see some with diver emblem and weird numbers on back as well as others with brushed or polished backs perhaps disguising them as originals that have lost original serial and reference due to wear.

I have seen space compax cases that have not been stamped with reference and serial number. I presume these may have been legitimately produced but may have been shelved due to end of production and somehow ended up with collectors or may have been purchased by other manufactures and used to produce models such as the one shown in thread.

All of the cases below, have no reference or serial number but are original (shinny backs but not polished or brushed and ready for serialising)

BTW - UG did not brush case backs

UG cases #1.jpg

watchyouwant and morningtundra like this.
  10. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Jan 28, 2017

Dunno about this watch but the same seller was recently offering a 7k franken Longines called "calatrava" and comprised of a genuine military WWW case, a white dial that was totally incorrect for the case, and a incorrect handset for both the dial and case, that didn't appear to be Longines.

11. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Jan 28, 2017

Occam's razor, people. The dials on both examples shown are genuine. Note also that the case back on yet another genuine Jaquet Droz diver is the exact same style as that of the OP's example.

In other words, both the case manufacturer and style were known to have been used by Droz.

Skepticism is often warranted in the vintage watch world, but not in the case of this watch.

[​IMG]

12. rahilb Jan 30, 2017

This particular diver case was used by a number of different manufacturers, I think I saw a post on @HeuerLoon 's instagram with about 5 of the same case from different brands... I suppose it would require some serious detective work to find the original manufacturer of the cases.

So there are two options:

UG manufactured their own cases and these are
    a) modern reproductions/frankens/replicas/whatever.
    b) contemporary copies of the style

Or a third party manufactured all the cases and sold them to watch brands.

Would be interesting to see what everyone thinks.

13. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Jan 30, 2017

UG did not manufacture their own cases.

These were third-party cases.

Mapearso likes this.
  14. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Jan 30, 2017

Yep, this.

15. HeuerLoon Jan 31, 2017

This watch is legit, the dealer selling it is misguided, (or perhaps retarded). I've seen 4 examples of this watch. As mentioned above, the case back is consistent with other references used by them (JD) at the time. I own the diver posted above and it has a diver and reference number on the back.

It's very clear to me that UG used a third party to supply cases for the Space Compax and Pole Router Sub. There is no confirmed evidence of the identity of the case manufacturer but I suspect the cases came out of France.

The Pole Router Sub (2nd ex) has a number of brothers which share similar if not almost identical cases. They are:

1. Technos Sky diver
    2. Titus Calypsomatic
    3. Many other obscure brands such as Hoga used the symteric case.

They all have the following characteristics:

1. Brushed
    2. Large domed plexi usually with an usually large date window
    3. A large crown/screw down tube
    4. Brevet stamped inside along with the brand's logo
    5. Excellent build quality and finish

In the 60s and 70s France churned out many skin diver watches. A lot of NOS cases have been sold by various sellers in France; a coincidence or evidence of origin?

The fakers have found the J Droz (Space Compax)cases and have tried to flood the market with them a few years ago. The Droz watch is quite rare and hence it raises eyebrows. It's not as well made as the UG it aspires to be; but it's not fake.

16. Mapearso Feb 1, 2017

BTW, if anyone has one of these Jaquet Droz cases complete with bezel and pushers and rubber caps I'm a buyer

17. Pruzzo Feb 14, 2017

As far as I know Jaquet Droz was a collective, or consortium of 150 Swiss manufacturers who in the 60ies have for the first time in Swiss history decided to combine all of their collective individual expertise, and together be able to produce over 1000 different models of watches under the single brand Name, Jaquet Droz. This consortium aslo supplied those parts to other brands, which may or may not have been part of the collective. Different brands utilized the same watch cases for their diver watches. While all slightly different from each other, using different movements, hand designs and dials, all these diver models shared the same Basic DNA between them (i.e. Jenny, O&W, Nivada, Croton, Bulova, Solvil Titus, Technos.....).

Jaquet Droz Modelle.JPG
  18. Carlton-Browne Feb 14, 2017

That's really interesting, thanks. Can you point us to a source or some background reading? I ask because I'd like your post to carry additional weight; I also ask because I'd be interested in a full list of the 150 manufacturers so that I can set up some searches for some of the more obscure producers that haven't yet had the benefit of Hodinkee-style exposure :cool:.

aap likes this.
  19. HeuerLoon Feb 14, 2017

Interesting post Claus.

Thanks for posting the advert which is very helpful :thumbsup:

20. rahilb Feb 15, 2017

Looks like it says it right there in the ad copy: "150 fabricants suisse = 1 marque"

Very interesting stuff, nice first post @Pruzzo