What exactly do I have here?

Hi everyone! Name’s Dennis and this is my first post. This seems like a great forum and I’m looking forward to spending some time on it.

My son turned 2 this week and my dad handed down his father’s Omega to me as a congratulatory gift. Familial traditions are real important to me, as is remembering and honoring those family members who have passed on. Now this watch has definitely seen better days, so I’d really like to return it to its former glory:

upload_2020-10-11_7-42-12.jpeg

upload_2020-10-11_7-42-46.jpeg

So, what exactly do I have here? I’m wondering 1) which model is this, can we tell just by looking at the dial? 2) where can I find out more about it? 3) what are some things I should be aware of when getting it serviced?

My dad seems to think his mom gave it to his dad back in ‘55. To me, it looks like one of the entry level bumpers from the early 50s. I don’t know how to open the backing so I don’t want to try.

I currently live in Missoula, Montana, and a quick Google search doesn’t show any antique watch repair facilities near me. There’s a guy a couple hours away in Bozeman with a shop called The Last Wind-Up that looks excellent. I know it’s a long shot, but is anyone familiar with him?

Ok guys, my sincerest thanks in advance for any and all info. I’m really excited about getting this piece back in shape and I hope I can pass it on to my son on his son’s second birthday. I hope you guys won’t mind my sharing future updates and photos.

-Dennis

What? Is it a phony?

It's probably not a total fake, but the dial has been repainted and something funny is going on from the back side, it almost looks like two case-backs, but the photo is really blurry so I don't want to jump to conclusions. Can you post some in-focus photos. And also open it up and take photos of the the inside.

In the old days, a watch dial may have received a fresh coat of paint when it got serviced. It was often regarded as an "improvement".

Unfortunately today's collectors don't agree and they consider the value as a collecable to be severely affected by a redial.

Fortunately in your case, the watch isn't being considered for a curated professional collection, and as a family heirloom it's just fine.

It all looks OK to me so far, except for the dial and the caseback ring which I suspect may be a replacement that a watchmaker found in his parts box.

The inside markings will tell us all.

It looks like maybe it started its life as a reference 2635? Caliber 351 or 354 bumper movement? Here’s mine for comparison:
5F2B7C05-9D35-47F5-AF8B-F01E7EA3E55E.jpeg DBCD040E-2DB7-4BCA-AB8C-4AF7776E434B.jpeg A67D7FAF-7533-46CA-9239-D0E8B71F593F.jpeg

What? Is it a phony?
No. It’s probably real. It’s an American made gold-plated case. Some of these have different set ups than the Swiss watch cases. I have an American cased Longines with a similar case locking system.
gatorcpa

Even if it’s not perfect it’s a nice family heirloom. Hopefully the omega movement remains, you can get it serviced to keep it running nice and wear it.

Even if it’s not perfect it’s a nice family heirloom. Hopefully the omega movement remains, you can get it serviced to keep it running nice and wear it.
Hi everyone! Name’s Dennis and this is my first post. This seems like a great forum and I’m looking forward to spending some time on it.

My son turned 2 this week and my dad handed down his father’s Omega to me as a congratulatory gift. Familial traditions are real important to me, as is remembering and honoring those family members who have passed on. Now this watch has definitely seen better days, so I’d really like to return it to its former glory:

So, what exactly do I have here? I’m wondering 1) which model is this, can we tell just by looking at the dial? 2) where can I find out more about it? 3) what are some things I should be aware of when getting it serviced?

My dad seems to think his mom gave it to his dad back in ‘55. To me, it looks like one of the entry level bumpers from the early 50s. I don’t know how to open the backing so I don’t want to try.

I currently live in Missoula, Montana, and a quick Google search doesn’t show any antique watch repair facilities near me. There’s a guy a couple hours away in Bozeman with a shop called The Last Wind-Up that looks excellent. I know it’s a long shot, but is anyone familiar with him?

Ok guys, my sincerest thanks in advance for any and all info. I’m really excited about getting this piece back in shape and I hope I can pass it on to my son on his son’s second birthday. I hope you guys won’t mind my sharing future updates and photos.

-Dennis

-Dennis
Thanks everyone! Like a few of you have mentioned, this will strictly be an heirloom item. I really appreciate all the info.

upload_2020-10-11_9-3-4.jpeg

I hope this pic is a little cleaner. It’s not obvious to me how to open the back. There’s already a couple deep scratches, so I’m probably not the first to be thwarted. Unless anyone can offer idiot-proof advice on how to open it, I might leave it to a professional. Cheers everyone!

I might leave it to a professional.
That is what you should do.

There is a steel 12-sided ring. That ring is threaded on the outside into the case. The caseback actually sits in there and when the ring is screwed down, it is pressure fit. Some of these cases have rubber O-rings that sit on the inside of the case to keep moisture out.

When these O-rings get old, they can melt and become almost like concrete. This can make it almost impossible to remove the case ring unless you have leverage in the form of a very secure case holder and the appropriate die that exactly fits.

Only a watchmaker experienced with vintage watches is likely to have the proper tools.
gatorcpa

There is a steel 12-sided ring. That ring is threaded on the outside into the case. The caseback actually sits in there and when the ring is screwed down, it is pressure fit. Some of these cases have rubber O-rings that sit on the inside of the case to keep moisture out.

When these O-rings get old, they can melt and become almost like concrete. This can make it almost impossible to remove the case ring unless you have leverage in the form of a very secure case holder and the appropriate die that exactly fits.

Only a watchmaker experienced with vintage watches is likely to have the proper tools.
gatorcpa
You’re the man, gator! Thank you!

gatorcpa

Interesting, I've never had a watch with this type of case-back sealing system.

Interesting, I've never had a watch with this type of case-back sealing system.

Yea some round bulova's have similar style case back locking rings. Not so common on Omegas and that threw me off as well.

These Omega cases were made by Wadsworth, typically in 14K gold fill, but also in solid 14K, which would have a gold retainer ring.

15 or more years ago, I was passing through Bozeman, stopped at The Last Wind Up and met the WM/owner. Nice visit, bought a PW and ended up sending a variety of PW to service, always had nothing but good experiences.

Never sent a ww, moved into them a few years later and found a local WM at that point.

15 or more years ago, I was passing through Bozeman, stopped at The Last Wind Up and met the WM/owner. Nice visit, bought a PW and ended up sending a variety of PW to service, always had nothing but good experiences.

Never sent a ww, moved into them a few years later and found a local WM at that point.
Thanks, Tex! I’m gonna give them a visit.