Forums Latest Members

What does your Apollo 11 45th anniversary Speedmaster look like?

1. TLIGuy Feb 3, 2014

Let's say you work for Omega designing watches and you have been tasked with designing an Apollo 11 45th Anniversary Speedmaster.....what do you do?

My thought would be to use the current Speedmaster case and add a 321 style dial to replicate the original 145.012 Speedmaster. The raised Omega logo would be applied and stamped from a piece of material acquired by Omega from NASA that was returned from the surface of the moon. For example, coins have been minted from flown bolts and other such items and something similar could be done. The hands would be filled with a mixture of pulverized command module heat shield material mixed with the luminous epoxy.

The special edition would be limited to 45 or 450 pieces. Each case side would have a simple engraving L/E XXX (limited edition) on the outside bottom left lug replicating the original NASA issued Speedmasters like the one below.

The case back would have a smooth pre-moon case back and engraved around the edge would be "Omega logo from material flown to the moon July 20, 1969"

Anyone here want to design the the 45th anniversary Speedmaster?

image.jpg

2. 88cut Feb 25, 2014

I think it would be too costly and complicated for nothing to just replicate the cal. 321 just to make 45 or 450 mov'ts.

3. Superdoc Feb 28, 2014

Hopefully Omega is putting as much thought into this as we are... I would think that this has to be a special piece, as it would be the first since the introduction of the new movements and the 'full court press' on the Boutique roll out.

It has to reflect the past, but have an eye to the future - which will be hard to reconcile - I think it would be wrong to put a 9300 movement in an anniversary moonwatch...but using some of the new materials might be a subtle upgrade - Ceramic bezel/dial with the classic 3 subdial face...
    would love to see another meteorite, or even a moonrock face -