Forums Latest Members

What does this readout mean?

1. pnwyankee Nov 17, 2019

I've seen similar images attached to For Sale ads ( this one is on eBay )
    Can anybody tell me what this particular readout is telling me?
    Thanks.

2. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Nov 17, 2019

Yes. It is telling you that your vision is way the heck better than mine, as I am unable to read it. :)

M'Bob, DaveK, Rochete and 2 others like this.
  3. pnwyankee Nov 17, 2019

Whoops :(

s-l1600.jpg

4. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Nov 17, 2019

It's telling me that the user is too lazy to set the correct Lift Angle on the Timegrapher.

And that the loss rate is zero seconds per day, the amplitude is 254º, the beat error is 1 millisecond and the lift angle is 52º (the default setting).

pnwyankee and connieseamaster like this.
  5. Pvt-Public Nov 18, 2019

Or sets it to whatever makes the watch look best.

chronos, Archer and JimInOz like this.
  6. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Nov 18, 2019

This doesn't tell you much. As noted the lift angle is set incorrectly, and should be 49 degrees. This means the balance amplitude you see is overstated by about 18 degrees, so the 254 is actually more like 236. The beat error is too large, and the rate in this one position looks okay.

But none of this is worth anything unless you know what the state of wind in the movement is. Next what is the variation in positions? Unless you keep the watch in this position all day long, this tells you absolutely nothing about what the timekeeping performance will be when the watch in the wrist.

Sellers tend to add these things in for proof of something - most of the time it proves they don't know how to use a timing machine properly, and not much else.

Cheers, Al

Davidt, pnwyankee, JimInOz and 6 others like this.
  7. ExpiredWatchdog Nov 19, 2019

Bad taste in tablecloths? Dunno.

I'd steer away from such a low amplitude unless you factor in the cost of a service.

pnwyankee likes this.