Forums Latest Members

What do you use your bezel on your Seamaster and Planet Ocean for besides diving?

1. Keef Richards Apr 28, 2019

I don't think most people who have diving watches use the bezel for diving. I'm wondering what purpose have you used it for.

I'm using it right not while I grill chicken legs on my Weber grill. With low heat I want to flip the chicken after a certain time. So by moving the bezel to match the big hand position, I will know when to flip the chicken. (I'm not mention how many minutes I wait before I flip it as I don't want to get into a conversation on that.)

jcmartinez98 likes this.
  2. alam Apr 28, 2019

for diving I use a computer, I have used the bezel on my SMP to time the boiling of my eggs.. :) I hate over cooked eggs!

3. 77deluxe Apr 28, 2019

I like to just look at it from time to time. Make sure it’s aligned.

4. AntonisCy Apr 28, 2019

I just like to do a full turn every couple of weeks so it doesn't get stuck!

5. lillatroll Apr 28, 2019

Absent mindedly fiddle with it quite often other than that nothing what so ever. I even try to rotate the tachometer on my speedmaster even though I know it doesn't go anywhere.

6. hbombkid Apr 28, 2019

Never used it but to annoy my buddies we all have Subs or PO’s and we will turn the bezel a tick or 2 when not paying attention take it not aligned haha

77deluxe likes this.
  7. nurseford25 Apr 28, 2019

I use dive watch bezel daily as I work in a hospital and I respond to all stroke patients. I set the bezel to the arrival time and use the bezel to make sure we are hitting our time goals set by the American Heart Association as far as medication administration to reverse or stop the stroke symptoms. This is the main reason I wear a dive watch well that and I do dive.

WatchShopping, flw, RemiWM and 4 others like this.
  8. 77deluxe Apr 28, 2019

That’s almost as bad as blinding someone with sun-glare reflecting off a crystal. The option to do so is another argument for no AR coating.

9. p4ul “WATERRROOP” to 50m Apr 28, 2019

Thanks for the question, I found it thought provoking.

My Mother died on the 21st January, she left me some money most of which will easily disappear into the abyss where all my earnings seem to vanish ........so as a lasting reminder of her I bought the new Seamaster last month. It seemed fitting as she always encouraged me to do whatever made me happy, and while she was alive wanted to buy me something that I wanted but would not buy for myself, I could not take anything, just in case she needed the cash.

I am am a diver but am unlikely to use my watch for diving. Part of me is a bit ocd and the bezel to be set at 12 is just ‘right’! and it would never move from 12.00.

However....

I have now set the bezel to 21 minutes past (& passed!) the hour as a reminder of how lucky I am and that that nothing is permanent.

Also some things are more important than just ‘right’!

Thanks, Mum.

10. bz0123 Apr 28, 2019

Get an egg maker. You'll never accidently overcook an egg, and you can get really precise with how cooked the eggs will be.

WatchShopping likes this.
  11. bz0123 Apr 28, 2019

I don't have my new Seamaster, yet, but I use the bezel on my Sieko to keep track of laps swimming. For example, if 10 x 100, I'll move the bezel back one minute (two clicks) a lap until I get to the 50 minute mark.

12. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Apr 28, 2019

I’m using it to time your 200 post count, then reset it and see your inevitable for sales post. At this rate they can both be timed and on a dive bezel.

rainking, MRC, Gav1967 and 8 others like this.
  13. flw history nerd Apr 28, 2019

I use mine to time everything from boiling pasta to the elapsed time on my students' in-class essays. They always know to turn the paper over and read the questions when they hear the clicks on my bezel.

14. mayankyadav Apr 28, 2019

Haha .. Very funny.
    there was a super enthusiastic poster few days ago asking all sort of things, thanking everybody and managed to get 200 posts in a matter of days..now it seems he is more active in watch and parts sale forums ;)

15. gbesq Apr 28, 2019

I find it very useful for making the necessary calculations for time travel. Oops, gotta go now. Having dinner with Ben Franklin later.

16. chiswick Apr 28, 2019

Keef...........you must hold the world record for the most post,s in the shortest time!

17. dvpemberton Apr 29, 2019

Use mine for a variety of tasks where times are less than an hour:- timing in meetings; cooking timer; car parking reminder; and when the kids are in swimming lessons so I don't forget to collect them whilst I'm in the pool (just cleaned it to get the chlorine off!) 20190428_152558.jpg

Keef Richards likes this.
  18. flw history nerd Apr 29, 2019

A related question: How many of us keep the bezel set to the 12 o'clock position when we're not timing something? I'm pretty OCD about it - I can't just leave it set to some random spot for hours on end ...

AntonisCy likes this.
  19. gbesq Apr 29, 2019

I’m the same way. Having it set to a random spot other than the 12 o’clock position would drive me crazy. ::rant:

flw likes this.
  20. michael22 Apr 29, 2019

I use mine more than I ever use a chrono.
    I used to use it for diving, but I don't dive any more.
    I currently use it for cooking Pizza (20 Min); gym sessions( short is 25min, long is 55min); Reffereeing kids soccer(25min per half).
    Sometimes I set it to the hr hand for longer time periods. E.g. a 3 hr parking zone.

I just got back from the gym, it is set at 22 minutes past, & I feel no urge to reset it.

Keef Richards likes this.