Forums Latest Members

What do you think of this JLC?

1. Optimizer13 Aug 9, 2015

Does anyone know more information about this JLC? I know there's description of the listing but how collectible is it? I like the looks of it but this is the first time I see a Memovox in this design. Not even sure what year is this watch.

http://www.europeanwatch.com/20980.html

Thanks!

2. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Aug 9, 2015

That's a NFW. Like the front and the back

3. Optimizer13 Aug 9, 2015

Sorry what's a NFW?

4. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Aug 9, 2015

Nice f::censored::king watch. :D

Optimizer13 likes this.
  5. Optimizer13 Aug 9, 2015

I thought its No F**king Way. [emoji1]

6. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Aug 9, 2015

It's a great looking watch, and the JLC Memovox is certainly an classic. This watch isn't vintage, it's a is a modern reincarnation of the Memovox that has been around for a few years. Don't know the production numbers, but I'm sure it is quite scarce in rose gold. Whether it will stand the test of time as a collectible - too soon to tell.

As @ Standy said, it is certainly a NFW!

Optimizer13 and STANDY like this.
  7. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Aug 9, 2015

Beautiful & NFW!!!

Optimizer13 likes this.
  8. NT931 Aug 9, 2015

I've seen the SS version of this watch in the metal, and overall it's a pretty nice watch.

A few observations:
    1. it wears true to size, so some might find a 36mm watch a little on the small side, especially when it's in black
    2. the black dial is definitely less common than the silver dial. I prefer the black, especially when the hour markers are lightly patinated yellow against the black (as is the one on sale). I have to say RG + black is a very harmonious combination.
    3. the case is a little on the thick side for the size - just a bit thick but not a lot. The memovox cases tend to be a little thicker, naturally, and look proportionate on a 37-40mm case, but on this one, just looks a tad thick (for me, at least)
    4. the display back on this one is beautiful!

Hope this helps!

Optimizer13 likes this.
  9. Optimizer13 Aug 9, 2015

Any idea how much is the value of this watch? I've dealt with this seller before on Speedmasters and found that their price points are on the high side. However, I'm quite new to Memovox so not sure what is a reasonable price range especially RG.

10. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Aug 9, 2015

The asking price seems quite high, IMO, but I really say that without market data points for comparison.

You may be able to find a retail price list somewhere, and that would give you a starting point as a reference.

Nice as it is, I can't imagine these are selling at a premium to the original MSRP, and IMO were likely to be discounted even when new.

Optimizer13 likes this.
  11. NT931 Aug 9, 2015

I'm not sure of the price as well, since this model doesn't come up that often, but the price does seem rather high.

As a point of comparison, for that price one could get a pre-owned 36mm Lange 1815 in YG/RG/WG. Same size but way more watch. Or the older 37mm JLC Perpetual Calendar in SS, factoring in servicing.

Or a pre-owned VC in RG or WG, all 36mm. In fact, for $13,900, one could get a pre-owned 36mm YG/WG VC and have money left over to buy a vintage SS Memovox. Lots of choices at that price point, honestly.

Optimizer13 likes this.
  12. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 9, 2015

I'm going to say this model in 36mm is likely an 1990's watch. I believe the Master Control 1000 hour testing designation was first brought out in the early 90's (1992 I think) so it would be after that. The earliest JLC catalogue I have is from 2004, so from the time when I bought the SS Master Moon that I used to own. Looking back mine SS watch listed at $8,000 Canadian at the time I bought it (that was in 2004), and the rose gold version was double that at $16,000.

I think the Master Moon was generally more expensive than the Memovox, in particular since this watch is a manual wind for the time train, so based on all that and exchange rates (assuming this is listed in USD) I would agree it's pretty pricey. This watch is not in that 2004 catalogue and it was replaced at that time with the nearly 39 mm Master Reveil automatic.

Note that a service on this would not be cheap from Richemont either.

Cheers, Al

Optimizer13 and Darlinboy like this.
  13. ELV web Aug 9, 2015

I am not a fan of this particular company, they have been pushing vintage watches with redial as original in several occasions.

Optimizer13 likes this.
  14. Optimizer13 Aug 9, 2015

Thanks for all of your inputs! Was really helpful to get different perspectives. I think I'll pass on this one!

NT931 likes this.