Forums Latest Members
  1. jpjsavage May 6, 2017

2. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. May 6, 2017

If your going to drop 20k on a watch, what has your research told you? What are your questions?

Mark020, chronos, TLIGuy and 3 others like this.
  3. kingsrider Thank you Sir! May I have another? May 6, 2017

Wrong bracelet and possibly wrong sweep hand.

4. Dero13 4 watches. All set to the wrong time. May 6, 2017

Been for sale for awhile. Could probably try for a discount

5. Davidt May 6, 2017

What are your thoughts on it?

6. Kringkily Omega Collector / Hunter May 6, 2017

Yes please take the time to research god forbid you purchase something for 20k based on a quick thumbs up by a forum member then finding out it isnt all that great. It looks okay with slightly tired markers on the bottom right side of the dial. There are other comments here so please take notice. Speedmaster101 is also a wonderful tool to help guide you on your search

Larry S and jpjsavage like this.
  7. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. May 6, 2017

If the OP comes back...

The thing is there are a lot of resources on the net for this watch primarily speedmaster101.com which gives you almost all of the info needed to verify originality and price.

That resource will allow you to verify the serial number being correct and the dial and hands being correct. We get a lot of drive by posters that want members of this forum to do the leg work then never come back. If you meet us half way with your observations the members here are much more inclined to help you out.

Not understanding a term or the grade of the watch is understandable. We are more then happy to assist just not do everything.

8. Psych May 6, 2017

Don't be discouraged by your reception here. My experience of getting into Speedmasters was that I was immediately and helplessly attracted to the earliest, rarest, most expensive and most likely to be fraudulently constructed models. This is an area that we all should approach with caution and knowledge - but it isn't always easy to be dispassionate and sensible about these things.

Speedmaster101 is a great resource - not just for the factual information it contains but also for the grace and whimsy of the forum member who created it. You'll learn from the site about his foibles and the mistakes he has made and consequently won't feel so bad about your own impatience and relative lack of knowledge.

We are all learning here. Some of us know a lot more than others and it is hard to get started and make sense of all the information and etiquette required. But we are all in the grip of a ridiculous passion for these dratted watches and it's great to welcome a fellow sufferer.

At the end of the day, do your homework, have a look at the watch. If it speaks to you and you feel you have to have it, I would go for it. If, before you clinch a deal, you have any questions, then don't be afraid to come back and ask. Good luck!

9. ICONO May 6, 2017

Don't be discouraged by your reception here……

However…Do take responsibility for your own decisions…& do tread the path of due diligence before parting with 20k

A little bit of good old fashioned hard work… is required, to research the area you want to invest in…

We can help, …and are happy to do so… when we see some effort from you ?

There is no easy short cut,… to forming your own opinion…and being a 'grown up'…

TNTwatch and Psych like this.
  10. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! May 6, 2017

Before anyone else tells the OP to do some research, let's not forget this is the guy that nabbed a mint 105.003 for £1100 and is no noob on the forum.

jpjsavage, chronos, Kringkily and 2 others like this.
  11. Screwbacks May 7, 2017

even if i have a budget for that and more than any external observations, i have got to wind and feel personally the hairspring, if it sounds and i feel how the original blue breguet hairspring should be.

12. plexyforever May 7, 2017

IMG_2762.JPG
    jpjsavage likes this.
  13. jpjsavage May 7, 2017

I'm going to give it a miss but thanks for all the comments and thoughts. I love the speedmaster101 site and it is a superb resource. I've read most of the material there and found it immensely helpful. I'm selling a beautiful PP 5711 white dial and was offered this speedmaster as a part exchange deal. But, to be honest, I've had some advice from a trusted friend that the hands are not right and the bezel is obviously not as nice as many others. I think there will be better examples around if I want to go down that route.

14. jpjsavage May 7, 2017

Well spotted! That watch is coming back to me shortly from a full clean and service via Simon Freese (ex STS) and I'm looking forward to seeing what he has done with it. We are looking for an original replacement chrono second hand. If anyone has one for sale please get in touch. Apart from that, the watch is in fine shape.