Forums Latest Members
  1. Steve9pm Strangely obsessed with cheap manual wind watches. Jan 30, 2020

I did a search and didn’t find any detailed reviews on the forum. Seems like they’re respected and there’s not much negative. Good bang for the buck, ETA movement.

Anything else I should know? Particularly anything I should watch out for?

2. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jan 31, 2020

cross shop with Laco....

3. TheWatchDigger Jan 31, 2020

Stowa makes some nice things. I don't own any modern Stowa watches, but I did find this old "fancy lugs" dress watch some time ago. I believe the movement is a manual wound Unitas. Nothing spectacular but it does the job.

20200131_083535 (1).jpg IMG_4428.JPG

wagudc, janice&fred, dougwhiz and 2 others like this.
  4. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Jan 31, 2020

The '60s Seatime divers are very nice, and good value in the market.

5. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jan 31, 2020

Generally speaking, they are fine watches, at least any that I've had in the shop...some examples...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've had several of the Fliegers in the shop, both manual and automatic winding.

Well made generally, solid ETA movements in all that have crossed my bench, and overall good value for the money I would say.

Cheers, Al

wagudc, scapa, janice&fred and 3 others like this.
  6. JwRosenthal Jan 31, 2020

A work colleague of mine bought a flieger a few months ago online. It ran well until about 3 weeks ago when he went to wind it and as he wound the rotor wound spin as he hand wound- he knew something wasn’t right.
    He contacted Stowa customer service and they sent him an RMA and even coordinated the fed-ex pick-up at his door. It was sent to Germany and within 4 days they turned it around and sent it back over-night delivery to his door- at no charge whatsoever.
    He was prepared for a fight (as is the case with most companies in our modern day) but his experience was excellent and he is now considering buying another from them. They seem like a class act.

7. Steve9pm Strangely obsessed with cheap manual wind watches. Jan 31, 2020

Thanks Archer. How would you compare Stowa, Junghans, and Nomos?

8. dougwhiz Jan 31, 2020

I'm a big fan, I own a 40mm Flieger that's one of the few modern watches I've bought and have kept wearing. They allow you to personalize things like logo/plain dial, date/nodate, personalizations, etc. I chose a manual wind ETA 2804-2 because the case is then only 8.5mm thick. And it looks great through the clear caseback. The other thing I like is the lume, especially the fully lumed sweep second hand.
    Good website too.
    Stowa2.jpg

janice&fred and Dsloan like this.
  9. Dsloan Jan 31, 2020

Darn it - now you all have got me setting up watch recon alerts for yet another brand! Bad influences and enablers, all of you.

Kidding aside, thanks OP - I appreciated learning about this brand. I think their fliegers look nice. I had been looking at some Lacos, but I think I may like the Stowa's case design more. And, it's nice to see a $600 watch with a decent entry-level ETA. Could really tide me over until the hypothetical day when I can drop money on IWC Pilot watch. I also think I really like the design on the Prodiver that Archer shared.

Steve9pm, janice&fred and JwRosenthal like this.
  10. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 1, 2020

Stowa and Jungans are more equal on the level of manufacture in my view, where Nomos is most certainly a step or two above the others.

11. janice&fred Feb 1, 2020

i'm on that now as well. I just started surfing the net on those to see how much I can't afford to buy one right now :D

Dsloan likes this.
  12. Dsloan Feb 1, 2020

On the plus side, these are refreshingly approachable compared to many things on this forum. I'm seeing used models going for around $1K on average.

janice&fred likes this.
  13. scapa Feb 1, 2020

I've owned a Flieger and the Marine Chrono -- both excellent watches, very well made, and sensibly sized. I didn't buy either new, but have been contact with Stowa CS regarding a different product and they were very responsive and helpful. I think they're a strong value proposition if you like the designs, like Archimede.