Forums Latest Members
  1. Marins Apr 25, 2017

Hi all,

I recently bought this Omega Seamaster Cosmic 2000 from a private seller. The watch was sold to me as a genuine vintage (no repaint, polish etc.).

I've shown it to a couple of experts since then and I got some contrasting opinions. In particular one of them told me that the dial may not be authentic as:
    - the day-date wheels are missing their frame (you can see it on this watch for example);
    - the SWISS MADE logo is positioned above the seconds' markers, while it should be below them.

I don't consider myself an expert of vintage watches and I'd really like to get your opinion on all this.

Thanks a lot!

M

IMG_0988.JPG IMG_0991.JPG IMG_0993.JPG IMG_0995.JPG IMG_1005.JPG IMG_1100.JPG IMG_1101.JPG IMG_1104.JPG IMG_1105.JPG IMG_1106.JPG IMG_1107.JPG
  2. oaclondon Apr 25, 2017

Not an expert on but the dial looks a bit small, not sure if it's the photos. Chrono24 and Google images should shed light on this

3. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Apr 25, 2017

Also not an expert, but your watch definitely looks polished/brushed -> the case and bracelet has lines in one direction, definitely not random scratches from wear...but I may be wrong.

Edited May 4, 2017
  4. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Apr 25, 2017

Dial has been refinished.

Note: the watch in OPs link is overpriced by at least 4X.

my2222-(6).jpg

Marins, Tritium and Willem023 like this.
  5. Marins Apr 25, 2017

Thanks you all for the comments!

Interesting that you say this was polished as it was sold to me as "not polished".

@X350 XJR : What do you mean exactly when you say "refinished"? Does this mean that the dial has been definitely repainted?

Also, I paid 500 Euros (or 547 $) for the watch. Hence, I probably did overpay it.

6. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Apr 25, 2017

Yes, stripped of it's original finish and reprinted.

Unfortunately you have overpaid, considering the the polished case and refinished dial.

I would return it if possible as it has been misrepresented as being all original.

7. Marins Apr 26, 2017

Thanks for your opinion. Very appreciated!

I find it striking how accurate this refinished dial is though. You can also find pictures of very similar watches online , like the one below:
    [​IMG]
    Are all those also refinished then?

In any case, I think I will probably keep this watch anyway as despite all this, I do still like it.

8. novina Apr 26, 2017

You may be able to source a period correct dial for your watch. And while yours is similar to the last picture, please note that yours is missing a detail or two. First is the date window. Note the thin black outline. Second, the script on the "cosmic and 2000" appear to be too thick. That is why it is easier for the trained eye to spot a redial. Subtle text variations and missing added details often indicate a redial.

Marins likes this.
  9. Sculler22 Apr 26, 2017

Marins, now you know one of the many benefits of OF. The experts on here are worth their weight in wisdom (somewhat hard to quantify), and will help you avoid the pitfalls of online purchases. Also, photos and descriptions of watches that you actually see, and in with you have an interest, can also be posted so that you can make an informed decision.

ClarendonVintage and Marins like this.
  10. Marins Apr 28, 2017

Thank you all for the feedback on this. I appreciate it!

Well, I guess it's a lesson learned for me and I'll keep these things in mind next time I'm about to buy another vintage watch and perhaps even post a few picture here :)

Also, unrelated question: I mostly use Chrono24 to browse and look for interesting watches. Do you recommend any other websites dedicated to Vintage only perhaps? Also my budgets tend to hover around 1k Euros, not much above that.

Thanks!

11. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Apr 28, 2017

Everyone pays what we call newbie tax. Even some of the best collectors started out with a few wobbles.

We are better help before you have bought a watch. ;)

Chrono 24 is a minefield of hit and miss. Good to get a feel of what you like and prices ( little high in my book ) but most are dealers and have their overheads and profit on top of the watch price.
    Plenty of better places to find vintage watches once you have been around a bit and researched

Will even give you your first like for the well mannered introduction and even a thanks ( even though we gave you bad news )

Marins likes this.
  12. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Apr 28, 2017

Hi @Marins

As you can see, most comments I would make have already been addressed. I would like to point out a couple of tips for you though.

In the upper half of the dial, the whole word "OMEGA" should be centred below the Ω symbol, and because of font spacing (kerning) the letter "E" should be slightly off center, not directly below. If it exists, the word "AUTOMATIC" should also be spaced and centered properly, not to one side or the other.

Down to the lower half of the dial. Omega in nearly all cases, space the model text between the tops of the 4 and 8 markers and down to the tops of the 5 and 8 markers, depending on the number of lines describing the model. On your example the word block is situated far too high.

And as noted, the "SWISS MADE" appellation should be below the minute track, not above it on this watch.

While your watch may not be "Collector Grade", it's a decent vintage Omega you can wear without fear of damaging a safe queen, and only nerds like us would know the problems but would either be too polite to mention them or would give you some "fatherly advice".

Cheers

Jim

kingsrider and Marins like this.
  13. Hijak Apr 28, 2017

Hello @Marins ,
    What an excellent post! Did some research, found conflicting information and politely asked for help...then, even when bad news was received, you said thank you! It would be a very good idea for several new members here to take note of how this is done.:thumbsup: Bravo @Marins , well done! Please feel free to ask for assistance any time, I for one would be very happy to help you out.:)

14. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Apr 28, 2017

Many of us view our "For Sale" and "Private For Sale" forums as a safe-haven for watch purchases.
    There are many experts viewing these listings and any monkey business is soon brought to light. Occasionally sellers will make honest mistakes and these also are politely discussed relatively soon.

As a new member, you won't be able to sell a watch here until you've reached 200 posts or obtained an exception by a moderator but purchases are allowed.

There are many friendly collectors here that will also assist you in determining price value. However, please use our pm (private message) for these discussions out of respect to the listing party.

Speaking of respect, I guess you can tell that we are thrilled whenever we get the opportunity to share this great hobby with another like-minded gentleman. Welcome!

Hijak and STANDY like this.
  15. Marins Apr 29, 2017

Thank you all for the information and the kind words!

I really appreciate the welcome you all gave me. It's great to find a place like this where people are ready to help out a fellow watch enthusiast and share some great knowledge and wisdom along the line.

I'm sure I'll be learning a lot :)

16. Marins May 4, 2017

Following up on this thread.

I noticed that the movement of my watch doesn't stop running even when the crown is in the most open position (i.e. the one that lets you set the time, if this makes sense). Is this normal?

In videos of similar movements online, the movement does stop running then the crown is in the "setting time" position, which makes me wonder...

17. BenBagbag May 4, 2017

Depends on your movement. See: https://omegaforums.net/threads/seamaster-30-cal-269-can-you-set-the-seconds.57314/

Marins likes this.
  18. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 5, 2017

Yes, this movement should hack when setting the hands. If it doesn't possibly someone removed the balance stop lever when it was worked on...

BenBagbag likes this.