Forums Latest Members
  1. Charles@UW Apr 4, 2015

2. repoman Apr 5, 2015

looks like an honest example to me, case has been polished, probably several times, but professionally done - lugs have been beaten up pretty good, and it looks like a faint engraving on the side of the case above the pusher, but really hard to tell. It's not really the case that draws my attention, its the dial.... yet another dial with all lume removed, I really wish we didn't see so many examples of that. Movement looks good, overall, I expect this to show a lot of interest from bidders.

3. TexOmega Apr 5, 2015

nice 321

4. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Apr 5, 2015

Did you get it?

5. TexOmega Apr 5, 2015

no bids from me, nosebleed at those heights.

6. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Apr 5, 2015

I think that was a strong price for this dial.

The case too shows several nibbles, in spite of the repolish.

You never know. The question which would you prefer the dial as is or expertly relumed?

7. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Apr 5, 2015

@Spacefruit , as in: listed already relumed, or relumed after purchased as it is now?

Is it better to buy a good relume and live in ignorance or buy at a discount and live with the knowledge that it was touched up under your care?

8. Bienne2998 Apr 6, 2015

...living in ignorance is often better - otherwise there's always some small spot in your brain teasing you with the deficiency. And the spot grows bigger......
    Well that is true for me.
    Best, Thomas

9. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Apr 6, 2015

Actually it was a plastic surgery example that made me rethink relumes.

Having met a slightly scary man in LA who had a face lift, he rather disarmingly said, "I know I look a little weird, but it is better than this...." He showed me his before picture and he was very, very old looking - not in a good, Robert Redford way, more like a ninja turtle gone to seed. I agreed.

Being an obsessive watch collector, my thoughts immediately turned to re lumes. (In true LA style - right, enough about your face lift, let me talk to you about my watch). Bad relumes will always be bad. But some, might just be better than the entirely missing, flat white plots similar to the OP.

It's still a re lume, but maybe it could be more desireable than the completely unattractive white paint?

I am inclined to think a relume is better than white paint.

But of course I only even consider this because of the shortage of watches.

Would I consider a relume on a 2998? No.

On a 145.012 forward? Yes. Consider. And with a price adjustment

Tjmmartin likes this.