What do you think about this cal 381?

Tried to post the photo with no luck so here’s the link to the pic.

https://imgur.com/gallery/cSxcusj

Is it just bad watchmaking? Seems like a lot of oxidation, dirt, and even a partial fingerprint. I’m guessing a competent watchmaker could clear this up. What do you think?

Chris
Edited:

upload_2024-4-27_12-13-57.png

Here is your picture. Not sure whether this is worth salvaging. Need to see rest of the watch.
gatorcpa

Thanks. It’s an otherwise very nice rose gold 3944.

upload_2024-4-27_12-13-57.png

Here is your picture. Not sure whether this is worth salvaging. Need to see rest of the watch.
gatorcpa

Please post photos to the forum if you'd like feedback.

Please post photos to the forum if you'd like feedback.
i’m working on it. I don’t really have a photo hosting account anymore. I thought imagur would work, but it didn’t.

i’m working on it. I don’t really have a photo hosting account anymore. I thought imagur would work, but it didn’t.
You upload the pictures directly to this forum. Photo hosting is unnecessary and we risk photos disappearing if/when the hosting companies fold.

silly me. I should’ve paid more attention I imagine. Thank you. Here are a couple more shots of the watch.
You upload the pictures directly to this forum. Photo hosting is unnecessary and we risk photos disappearing if/when the hosting companies fold.

Stunning. Of course worth salvaging.

Stunning. Of course worth salvaging.
I agree. Was just wondering what the consensus would be on cleaning up the movement. I was shocked to see there was actually a partial fingerprint on it.

I agree. Was just wondering what the consensus would be on cleaning up the movement. I was shocked to see there was actually a partial fingerprint on it.
It just needs a service. As long as the fingerprints are not on the dial face, I wouldn't bother. It shows however that the movement has been in the hands of an amateur.

It just needs a service. As long as the fingerprints are not on the dial face, I wouldn't bother. It shows however that the movement has been in the hands of an amateur.
I agree. Frankly, I was shocked that the screwheads appear to be in perfect condition. Normally amateurs mangle those pretty good as well.

It shows however that the movement has been in the hands of an amateur.

Perhaps the photographer?

Probably worth the price. These are rare birds and that dial looks pretty good.
gatorcpa

And it came with the original dial! (Which isn’t actually bad at all.)

Saw this but I had some doubts about the vintage originality of both dials.

Saw this but I had some doubts about the vintage originality of both dials.
Hmm. Yes, you may be right. I looked at the “original” on a big screen and it appears to be a redial as well. Oh well.