Forums Latest Members

What do you think about this auction find Tudor Monte Carlo?

1. levkov Jun 2, 2017

2. arcadelt Jun 2, 2017

I think it looks quite nice [emoji6]

Edited Jun 3, 2017
    levkov likes this.
  3. cpl Jun 3, 2017

Top edges of the lugs look rounded

4. EdtheAussie Jun 3, 2017

Any caseback/movement photo's?

5. Baz9614 Jun 3, 2017

Stunning! These are very cool!

levkov likes this.
  6. No Mercy Jun 3, 2017

Dial look original IMO.

7. levkov Jun 3, 2017

Yep agree, even though the pictures are quite poor quality, I can tell the case has seen some polishing. Main question if it's original? There's heaps of surprisingly good quality fake cases and replacement parts out there.. [emoji30]

8. levkov Jun 3, 2017

I've asked for it, nothing so far...

EdtheAussie likes this.
  9. EdtheAussie Jun 4, 2017

@levkov It will be interesting to see how it goes, but the seller normally sells games and such so maybe it was a chance find? - would have liked to see at least a movement shot, but the second hand seems to be functioning in the photos.

levkov likes this.
  10. levkov Jun 4, 2017

Right, I've been doing researches for almost 24 hours, and have come to the following conclusion (again, I'm no Tudor expert, so these are based on pure observation):
    - dial, hands, case, bezel, crystal, crown have a good chance to be original
    - I have doubts about the pushers, which are extremely hard to find even though they're in high demand (see Hodinkee shop sold 7032 pushers, which are without doubt originals)
    - no caseback inside or movement shots
    What finally tipped the balance not to bid, was a negative feedback the seller received on a Rolex 7836 bracelet he had sold, which happens to be the correct bracelet for this Tudor model. The feedback said the bracelet was a counterfeit.
    I probably could've still bidded, and took it to either Fellows or Simon @ Watches of Knightsbridge to have a look and then return (14 days return stated on the auction page) if turns out dodgy. But my personal circumstances (in the middle of buying a property) also pushed me towards not to take the risk.

The watch sold for €10976 = £9600 = $12400

I still maintain there's a good chance the watch was original, the winner may have stumbled upon a bargain, but the risk was not for me.. not today, at least. Maybe another time! ;)

Enjoyed the treasure hunt, and learnt a lot about the Monte Carlo's, so I consider myself a winner!

Linesiders and EdtheAussie like this.
  11. Overgrower Jun 5, 2017

Good call, now if another Monte Carlo pops up you'll be a lot more prepared.

levkov likes this.