Forums Latest Members

What do you guys think of this Memovox?

1. insoul8 Mar 10, 2015

dial-angled1-500x500.jpg
  2. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Mar 10, 2015

Dial looks pretty good (on my tiny phone screen), case has been polished, but not severely so, both crowns have been replaced. No movement pics - a must have. Service must be factored in.

IMO, price is quite high taking all that into account.

Edited Mar 10, 2015
  3. insoul8 Mar 10, 2015

The crowns are all original according to the seller. He said JLC did not start signing their crowns until later and the crowns on this watch have an ever so slight curvature to them which is the "hallmark" sign of original unsigned JLC crowns. That said, how much do you guys think it is worth? And, how do you think it compares to the E855 which I was initially looking for?

Edited Mar 10, 2015
  4. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Mar 10, 2015

I think it's true that unsigned crowns are correct for this model... at least I like to believe that about my own cal 815. The price is a little high, but when you factor in jumbo size, steel vs. gold plate, JLC signature vs. LeCoultre alone, condition, and degree of originality, I think it will be hard to do a lot better. Perhaps you could try to whittle the price down by the cost of a service.

5. insoul8 Mar 10, 2015

Thanks for info. What would the cost of a service generally be and is there a particular shop you guys like to send your JLC's to?

6. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Mar 10, 2015

Maybe $250-300 in my part of the world. I bring all my watches to the same guy, who shall remain anonymous. ;)

7. insoul8 Mar 10, 2015

And is the model I posted above considered any more or less desirable than the E855 pictured below? I like the look of them both but if the E855 would be a better buy, I can certainly wait for another to come along. Or is it like comparing apples and oranges?

1.jpg
  8. Memovox Mar 10, 2015

The 855 is more "iconic," which may translate into a quicker resale if you decide to move on in the future. I have two of them and they are wonderful watches with great wrist presence (the off-white outer ring contrasts nicely with the metallic inner one to create a dial with real depth). That said, the model you are considering is also quite lovely.

Darlinboy and MMMD like this.
  9. insoul8 Mar 10, 2015

Thanks for all the info, guys!

10. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Mar 10, 2015

Early examples did come with unsigned crowns - the shape looks off to me, but no reference handy so will defer on that.

Even so, the price is strong and worth negotiation.

11. insoul8 Mar 10, 2015

I can have it for $2750.

12. ulackfocus Mar 11, 2015

Um, I think both the watches pictured are E855's, just different dial variations and one with a non-date 815, the other a date 825. Maybe the non-date caliber 815 version is a very close reference number if it isn't an E855.

And JLC did sign their crowns back then - this model ran from 1958-ish to the end of the 60's IIRC. I don't remember a model of this size without JLC logo crowns but I've been wrong before. The earlier, and smaller, manual wind models sometimes came with insigned crowns.